Tip: DRI & Vsync
I had some problems with tearing when using XBMC linux on my HTPC (Shuttle SG33G5M, Intel GMA3100 onboard video).

After some searching I found this info on the freedesktop wiki:
http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Configur...astructure

After creating an /etc/drirc config file with the following contents my tearing problems were gone:

Code:
<driconf>
   <device screen="0" driver="i915">
      <application name="all">
         <!-- Always synchronize with vertical refresh to avoid tearing -->
         <option name="vblank_mode" value="3"/>
      </application>
   </device>
</driconf>

With the tool xdriinfo you can query your system for which driver you are using and which options are set (xdriinfo options 0).

Maybe this might be helpful for other people too having the same problems.
why isnt this solved by selecting vsync on, in either xbmc or nvidia driver? just curious if you tried those before doing any changes suggested above?
-------------
I Bare It All -Personal Blog
As far as I know, there is no DRI & Vsync options in XBMC settings (yet).

...and the reason for Redhound not enabling it via the NVIDIA driver is that he doesn't have a NVIDIA graphics controller, if you re-read his post you will note that he uses the "Intel GMA3100 onboard video"
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
XBMC for linux has a vsync setting in Appereance the options are

Never
Always On
Only during video Playback

It was added ages ago
Jazz-X, does that setting also work for video playback with DVDplayer, or is it only relevant for the menu display? Because my vsync setting was set to 3 in XBMC, and I still had tearing problems during video playback.
its Jezz_X and there was a bug that was fixed that made it only work on nvidia cards recently
And its relevent for video playback
Sorry, I saw I misspelled your name after I hit the submit button, but there seems no way to edit posts in this place Smile

I will test the vsync setting again on my setup with the newest svn revision after disabling my /etc/drirc setting. I'm pretty sure I had this problem with revisions prior to 10642 where it was set to always enable for nVidia gpu's, but now you make me doubt myself, so I will check again and post my findings Wink
Tested and confirmed working with rev 10660, no tearing on my setup (Intel GMA3100 onboard gpu) with XBMC Vertical Blank Sync setting set to 'Always Enabled' or 'Enabled During Video Playback' without the need to force DRI vsync in /etc/drirc.

I guess I had the problems in between rev 10642 and 10645 like Jezz_X suggested.

Ah well, at least I've learned more about DRI and it's configuration options Smile
Redhound Wrote:Tested and confirmed working with rev 10660, no tearing on my setup (Intel GMA3100 onboard gpu) with XBMC Vertical Blank Sync setting set to 'Always Enabled' or 'Enabled During Video Playback' without the need to force DRI vsync in /etc/drirc.

I guess I had the problems in between rev 10642 and 10645 like Jezz_X suggested.

Ah well, at least I've learned more about DRI and it's configuration options Smile

Smile nice.. im sure their are plenty of tweaks that can be done on the OS, graphic card side, but hopefully none of this is needed and only xbmc ---> settings is the place to look
-------------
I Bare It All -Personal Blog
i have the problem with tearing..
i have set the vsync in the ati drivers to always on and the same in xbmc, but still got tearing..
well its possible its the ati driver that is not working correctly..=/

XBMC rev 10661
ATI Radeon Xpress 1250 IGP - driver 8.42.3

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tip: DRI & Vsync1