Which Andriod Box is best suited to play videos from USB Hard Drives
I have a large collection of videos in .ISO and .MP4 on two hard drives that are both 4 TB NTFS . Which android box would be best suited to handle the videos on these drives, as well as give me access to Google store for apps and such. I intend to use Kodi/SPMC as my main player.

I looked over a few boxes but can not confirm as to whether they can handle the task. The Fire Box is a no go, as it seems to only accept FAT drives and up to only a certain size. The Mi Box looks interesting, though I'm not clear as to if it will accept two large NTFS Drives via it's USB port. And the shield again not sure, but it is pricey especially as I'd prefer it with a tv remote. An additional 50 US.

So far I've used my WD TV Live which has worked out perfectly. However it is getting old and I'd like to take advantage of Kodi, apps, and other newer technologies.

Thank you...
I have a similar setup. My WDTV Live Hub still works for video and storage, but for some reason, all the online services (weather, Youtube, etc.) fail.

I set up a no-name Kodi box a year ago with a 6TB external USB full of TV series, and an 8TB USB of movies. Almost 90% of those are ISOs I ripped from disks, although some I converted with MakeMKV so I could index by episode, or whatever.

What I found was that it worked great... until there was a power failure. Then, the problem is that the USB drives don't always reattach in the same order. That means that the entire library is correct. And unfortunately, sometimes for some reason, Kodi would start re-indexing without being asked. So even disconnecting and reconnecting didn't help.

What I found worked best was putting all the drives on the WDTV Live Hub, which has a Samba server. Then I just pointed the no-name Kodi to mount the videos from the WDTV, and all was well.

The issue isn't Kodi, it's the underlying OS. And Android isn't that friendly with USB, seeing them only as devices. If you have a Linux based Kodi box (like the PIVOS, GeekBox, or Arnu box), then you'll have mount points by the drive name rather than just /dev/usbA, /dev/usbB, etc., and you'll have support for NTFS file systems as well.
Thanks Bill that was helpful... haven't used Kodi on a set top box yet, just my pc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which Andriod Box is best suited to play videos from USB Hard Drives0