• 3(current)
Player Manager
(2017-01-25, 22:56)MrTarantula Wrote: I don't know if this is the right location for this feature request or if it belongs in input, but it would be nice for us inverts ( I invert Y-axis for camera/FPS controls) to be able to have our stick inversion follow either our player profile or controller. It would be nice to be able to configure per system or game, but that's really more of a wishlist item.

I'll consider per-player controller configuration. Anything per-system or per-game will need to wait until we have a game database in Kodi.
I've created a mockup of a possible player manager:

This gives you fine grain control over every virtual device that is plugged in. You can also select your controller icon (or press Select + A) to open a player-specific menu for configuring the button mapping.

Player number selection is done by pressing Select + Left and Select + Right. These move your controller icon left and right. You can move yourself to the Spectators box to sit the game out.
Wow, looks great.

How about giving Players (Profiles) a specific color and have a light glow in this color on the Gamepads/InputDevice or $somewhere_else
Then a Player can see: "I'm green and I'm a spectator" or "I'm purple and I am assigned to Port 2"
Philips TV with Kodi 20.2 with IPTV --- Orbsmart 500 Android 21 alpha/beta as Online-radio/TV in the kitchen
From the way i see it, player one can be controlled with the snes pad or the x360pad. Is that how it will set up, assigning multiple controllers to a single port?

one thing i would like to see is maybe a way to change on the fly the controller type from this menu. As i have multicontroller(it does most retro controllers) adapter, it's called a 4play and it maps buttons as similar as possible but as you know some controllers have more or less buttons/triggers.

Or maybe if its not too niche you could implement the controller type detection from the api, the 2.0 api will be realeased soon. If you're interested in going this route then let me know and i can let you know when its released.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/blissbox...-t500.html
I like the idea. Perhaps a visual demarcation between the ports?
(2017-07-15, 13:59)Solo0815 Wrote: Wow, looks great.

How about giving Players (Profiles) a specific color and have a light glow in this color on the Gamepads/InputDevice or $somewhere_else
Then a Player can see: "I'm green and I'm a spectator" or "I'm purple and I am assigned to Port 2"

I was thinking randomly-assigned avatars. Think 8-bit, pixelated, animated little characters. In the player menu you can of course change your avatar.

(2017-07-15, 19:37)Scourge Wrote: I like the idea. Perhaps a visual demarcation between the ports?

I agree, this would be beneficial. What specifically do you have in mind? vertical lines? checkerboard pattern?
(2017-07-15, 18:50)nihilisticEevee Wrote: From the way i see it, player one can be controlled with the snes pad or the x360pad. Is that how it will set up, assigning multiple controllers to a single port?

Huh? The Xbox 360 (or whatever controller is plugged in) emulates the SNES controller. They aren't both active at the same time. Unless you're thinking of something else? I'd like to hear, because I've considered allowing multiple controllers per single port.

(2017-07-15, 18:50)nihilisticEevee Wrote: one thing i would like to see is maybe a way to change on the fly the controller type from this menu. As i have multicontroller(it does most retro controllers) adapter, it's called a 4play and it maps buttons as similar as possible but as you know some controllers have more or less buttons/triggers.

The controller type is limited to what the core supports, right? SNES only supports controller, lightgun, multitap and mouse. You will be able to switch each device on each port by navigating in the panel and selecting the device. You'll be given a drop-down, including the option for no device.

(2017-07-15, 18:50)nihilisticEevee Wrote: Or maybe if its not too niche you could implement the controller type detection from the api, the 2.0 api will be realeased soon. If you're interested in going this route then let me know and i can let you know when its released.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/blissbox...-t500.html

This adapter looks way cool. It's at the top of my wishlist Smile If I had one, I'd add support in RetroPlayer. (Subject to free time, I've been 90% done with the Steam Controller driver for almost a year :p )
(2017-07-15, 20:33)garbear Wrote: "Huh? The Xbox 360 (or whatever controller is plugged in) emulates the SNES controller. They aren't both active at the same time. Unless you're thinking of something else? I'd like to hear, because I've considered allowing multiple controllers per single port."

ok i see whats going on, the snes pads in the pictures are just showing the virtual controller the physically will be mapped to, and the xbox 360 and the controllers physically plugged in.. I misunderstood and thought the snes pad was physical.

I think being able to have multiple controllers on a port would be a cool feature. It would be great for games where you pass the controller. Like monopoly on the nes it has 8 play support but you pass the player 1 controller around.

(2017-07-15, 20:33)garbear Wrote: The controller type is limited to what the core supports, right? SNES only supports controller, lightgun, multitap and mouse. You will be able to switch each device on each port by navigating in the panel and selecting the device. You'll be given a drop-down, including the option for no device.

Yes this is fine, i just misunderstood, with the confusing of physical and virtual controllers. I was wrong in my thinking.

(2017-07-15, 20:33)garbear Wrote: This adapter looks way cool. It's at the top of my wishlist Smile If I had one, I'd add support in RetroPlayer. (Subject to free time, I've been 90% done with the Steam Controller driver for almost a year Tongue )

You might contact ulao and ask for a sample, he gave one to the retroarch team, so I'm sure Kodi is big enough he'd prob send you one. his email is [email protected]
(2017-07-15, 21:05)nihilisticEevee Wrote: ok i see whats going on, the snes pads in the pictures are just showing the virtual controller the physically will be mapped to, and the xbox 360 and the controllers physically plugged in.. I misunderstood and thought the snes pad was physical.

This is definitely confusing in the mock-up. I'll do a better job separating virtual and physical controllers.

(2017-07-15, 21:05)nihilisticEevee Wrote: I think being able to have multiple controllers on a port would be a cool feature. It would be great for games where you pass the controller. Like monopoly on the nes it has 8 play support but you pass the player 1 controller around.

Thanks for the example. This is clearly a feature we need, however in an adversarial setting (netplay with strangers, or just really competitive friends) we should have controller exclusivity, where the first controller to the port wins.

How should this work? Should there be an option in the GUI? How to show that 8 controllers are mapped to the same virtual controller? There's certainly not enough space, so we'll have to get creative...

(2017-07-15, 21:05)nihilisticEevee Wrote:
(2017-07-15, 20:33)garbear Wrote: This adapter looks way cool. It's at the top of my wishlist Smile If I had one, I'd add support in RetroPlayer. (Subject to free time, I've been 90% done with the Steam Controller driver for almost a year Tongue )

You might contact ulao and ask for a sample, he gave one to the retroarch team, so I'm sure Kodi is big enough he'd prob send you one. his email is [email protected]

Thanks for the email. I'll ask for one when we get closer to v18 release and I'm doing the final bugtesting for my hoard of controllers.
OK, next mockup:

I've separated virtual from physical controllers. I've also added a non-exclusive mode where multiple controllers can share the same port.
(2017-07-16, 01:37)garbear Wrote: OK, next mockup:

I've separated virtual from physical controllers. I've also added a non-exclusive mode where multiple controllers can share the same port.
It is much clearer now with physical and virtual controllers seperated. Looks great to me so far.

As for the multiple controllers on 1 port, i can only think to make controllers icons overlap and add numbers as they overlap to display there is more than one controller.
(2017-07-16, 08:26)nihilisticEevee Wrote:
(2017-07-16, 01:37)garbear Wrote: Image

As for the multiple controllers on 1 port, i can only think to make controllers icons overlap and add numbers as they overlap to display there is more than one controller.

You can see in the screenshot (end of the spectators panel) how I plan to handle multiple players on a single port. I'll show a generic user icon with the number of players assigned to that slot. Clicking on the generic user icon will somehow show the users that it represents.

The last part, showing the users, is difficult. I'm allowing for twitch-style broadcast, so the number of spectators can potentially be in the millions. How should this dialog look? It's probably not possible to load a million avatars in Kodi. We need a dialog that is functional for two users, but degrades gracefully for millions. I'm open to ideas.
(2017-07-17, 04:16)garbear Wrote: You can see in the screenshot (end of the spectators panel) how I plan to handle multiple players on a single port. I'll show a generic user icon with the number of players assigned to that slot. Clicking on the generic user icon will somehow show the users that it represents.

The last part, showing the users, is difficult. I'm allowing for twitch-style broadcast, so the number of spectators can potentially be in the millions. How should this dialog look? It's probably not possible to load a million avatars in Kodi. We need a dialog that is functional for two users, but degrades gracefully for millions. I'm open to ideas.

maybe expand the physical ports to 2 rows, if there are just 2 controllers on a port display them, otherwise display +2(or what ever number it is) in place of the bottom controller. Keep the +6 on the spectators column. When you select the +2 under the physical ports it opens a new page with only that physical port, this ill allow for maximum space to display them.

The +6 under spectator will do the same thing but for spectators.

Thinking about that, it might have too many pages, but generally you wouldn't have that many ports with more than 3 controllers on it.

But it will add alot of extra elements to the screen , so another idea is instead of adding a second row, just add a small button on the side of the physical ports, to open a full page displaying the physical ports.

Hope i didn't ramble too much, just wanted to share all my ideas.
(2017-07-17, 18:11)nihilisticEevee Wrote: maybe expand the physical ports to 2 rows, if there are just 2 controllers on a port display them, otherwise display +2(or what ever number it is) in place of the bottom controller.

Expanding the physical ports to 2 rows is a good idea. Especially if the height is resized dynamically when the "Exclusive ports" button is switched. That would give an excellent visual indication of what it does.

Unfortunately, with an extra row, the window ends up a lot bigger. Here's the window with 1 row for phsysical ports:

And here's with 2 rows:

If we go with dynamic height for the exclusive ports setting, this is what it would look like when Exclusive ports are enabled:

Thoughts?

(2017-07-17, 18:11)nihilisticEevee Wrote: But it will add alot of extra elements to the screen , so another idea is instead of adding a second row, just add a small button on the side of the physical ports, to open a full page displaying the physical ports.

This idea seems clunky, having to navigate between different pages, when the use case for non-exclusive ports is so small.

(2017-07-17, 18:11)nihilisticEevee Wrote: When you select the +2 under the physical ports it opens a new page with only that physical port, this ill allow for maximum space to display them.

Good thought.

The +6 under spectator will do the same thing but for spectators.

(2017-07-17, 18:11)nihilisticEevee Wrote: Thinking about that, it might have too many pages, but generally you wouldn't have that many ports with more than 3 controllers on it.

The example given was Monopoly on the NES, where 1 virtual port is used for 8 people, which could be 8 physical controllers. So this new page should handle up to 8 players.

If there is more than 8 controllers, such as the case for thousands of spectators, we can handle this differently.

(2017-07-17, 18:11)nihilisticEevee Wrote: Hope i didn't ramble too much, just wanted to share all my ideas.

Thanks for sharing!
What is the theoretical virtual controller-per-port limit? Because the first thought I had after seeing this is a "Twitch plays X" kind of scenario but instead of voting on the next button press, thousands of participants could be registered to that port and fighting for control of the game. That would be pretty wild.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Player Manager1