Random flickers of taskbar/loading circle
I never had this problem until recently. I was using Jarvis for a long time, and then seemingly out of nowhere, I started having this problem.

In the Kodi menu, or during video playback, I will get random quick flashes of the Windows taskbar at the bottom of the screen and/or the small "busy" circle in the center of the screen.

I updated to Krypton 5 and had the same problem. Tried a clean install with none of my addons etc, same problem.

Used task manager to kill absolutely every process I could, same problem.

Fullscreen window or real fullscreen, same problem.

This does not happen in any other application, or in games, it seems to be entirely limited to Kodi.

Windows 10, currently Kodi Krypton beta 5, running in portable mode (always have).

I'll put up a log as soon as I get back to that computer.

Any ideas?
Without changes, your graphic card is suspect. Proper debug log (wiki) posted to a public pastebin and that URL linked back to this thread would go a long way to eliminate speculation.
Here is the pastebin: http://pastebin.com/NU9V6Hbb

That is a clean install with no addons and no libraries setup. Got the taskbar/desktop/loading flicker at 4:07, 4:09, and 4:10.

The reason I don't see how it could be a GPU issue is that it only happens in Kodi -- for example, right now I'm running Chrome in fullscreen mode and there is no flickering, nor has it ever happened in any game.
Do you have an Nvidia GPU? As there is currently a known issue causing something similar to this.
Media_Center_Master (wiki) || First_time_user (wiki) || Kodi Store || T-shirts: Villian, Protest, Graffiti, Emoji, Black on Black, K-18L
I do have a GTX 970. So this is a known issue with that GPU and Kodi? I don't get why it would have just started a month or so ago, though, without updating Kodi -- I was still on Jarvis at that time. Searching for Nvidia flicker here only gives me topics that seem to be about tearing, which is not the problem I'm having.
Give software rendering a shot and see if the issue goes away. Any issues with VLC player?
Software rendering makes no difference, which is no surprise to me since I thought that was only for the video rendering? I get the flickers in the menus as well.

Haven't tried VLC yet but again, this is not limited to video playback. I often get the first flicker within a second or two of opening Kodi before I've even touched a key.
VLC basically uses the same graphic engine Kodi uses, I'd like to hear if that player has issues too. This kind of problem is usually associated with the graphic drivers make sure you're updated. Do you get this issue in windowed mode? Try using the setting 'use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen'.

Something else you might to try, right-click on the Kodi icon, select properties, then Compatibility and tick the box marked "Run Program in Compatibility mode" and tick "disable display scaling on High DPI settings" and see what that does for you.
I will try VLC tomorrow when I'm back at home, along with compatibility stuff, thanks.

I get the problem regardless of window mode and regardless of software/auto/dxva rendering, in menus/homescreen as well as during video playback.

Would a graphic driver issue (I've gone through several updates since the problem first started BTW) cause not just the windows taskbar to briefly appear, but the circular "busy" icon? That indicates to me that some application is trying to do something, and since I only get it with Kodi, it would seem like Kodi is the culprit.
Kodi has background tasks, perhaps updating the library or getting weather information, might slow things down a bit, but should not cause flickering of the display unless there's some sort of video memory crossover. Try my suggestions and if it's not to much trouble another paste-bin debug log (wiki).
Quote:graphic driver issue (I've gone through several updates
it is looking like a driver issue.
I watched a movie through VLC for 20 minutes with zero issues.

Here's a log from Kodi, flicker happened at 7:47pm: http://pastebin.com/hgrTCyiZ
The big difference between VLC and Kodi is that VLC default settings is software rendering, you might want to try setting rendering for that in settings>video>acceleration. (from the debug it looks like you already have), Nothing I could see would explain the symptoms you have, it might be interesting to try a direct HDMI to TV and see if by-passing your AVR has any influence.

Alternative is to use VLC as External players (wiki), here's a link that might be useful http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=256537
Yes, I am using software rendering, which is what I always used to use until fairly recently, which is why I thought switching it back might be the solution (nope).

I have also tested on my PC monitor, i.e., direct from GPU hdmi to monitor, and I have the same problem.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Random flickers of taskbar/loading circle0