• 18(current)
Hardware for Linux and XBMC
Thy for the quick response. Big Grin

Is it correct that XBMC-Linux don't benefit from any kind auf GPU despite the onboard-chipsets?
Yes, correct. If your GPU supports opengl 2.0, it'll run just as fast as an 8800 ultra.
For very demanding materials (read: "birds scene" ) 2.6GHz is minimum and that's with very efficient CoreAVC codec. If You go for socket 775 Dual Core Intel, than 2.2 or 2.6 doesn't make any difference as You buy lowest clocked one and OC it to 2,6-3,0GHz with no problems (except You must have good motherboard)

XBMC somehow benefit not low end graphics in some cases because it was already reported that for example integrated GF 7050 was bottleneck and as I read recently, also 7150 sometimes happen to be to less.
Regards,
Embrion
rodalpho, that's not entirely accurate, you will definitely benefit from a better GPU. For example, the Nvidia 7050, even though it supports OpenGL 2.1, cannot (currently) handle the bicubic video upsampling filter, whereas the Nvidia 7600 can.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

When you talk about the bird-scene, which bitrate does it have?

My material is mostly 720p/9000kbps.

I'm planning to buy these things:

Motherboard
Intel Core2Duo 2,2ghz
1gb Ram (DDR800)
Case

Good choice or a "no go!"? :confused2:
d4rk Wrote:rodalpho, that's not entirely accurate, you will definitely benefit from a better GPU. For example, the Nvidia 7050, even though it supports OpenGL 2.1, cannot (currently) handle the bicubic video upsampling filter, whereas the Nvidia 7600 can.

Sorry for the dumb question:

Only onboard-solutions are supported? Or will i get any benefits from a "real" graphic-card?
Is that right? I guess that explains why tslayer could play the birds clip smoothly on a slower CPU with his 8600GT.

I can play everything 1080p except the birds clip smoothly, so I don't see any need to upgrade from my 7150, so no big deal. But good to know.
Wish these boards had edit enabled...

Yes, onboard solutions work fine. My nvidia 7150 is integrated. According to d4rk's post just before yours the answer is yes, you'll see some benefit from a higher-end videocard. How much benefit is up for debate.
Bird scene is 35000Mbps
Profile: [email protected]
Ref frames: 16

= VERY hard to decode. If You can decode that, than You'll probably be capable to decode all HD material You can download Wink

Case - yes, quiet, nice and can fit full size PCI cards. Alternatively You can get less expensive, same inside NSK2480.
Mobo - check review about it's OC capabilities. Also forget about it's IGP. Better get something like GF 7600 / 8500/8600
CPU - which model?
Regards,
Embrion
Evin Wrote:Sorry for the dumb question:

Only onboard-solutions are supported? Or will i get any benefits from a "real" graphic-card?

Sure off-board cards are supported and probably even recommended (as long as it's Geforce) because IGP are a lot slower than most separate solutions

@rodalpho
+1 about edit option
Regards,
Embrion
embrion Wrote:Case - yes, quiet, nice and can fit full size PCI cards.

Good to know... I was already searching for this information. Laugh

Quote:CPU - which model?

Intel Core 2 Duo E4600, 2x 2.40GHz, 200MHz FSB, 2MB shared Cache

Because it's the cheapest model... lol
What would you recommend?

@VideoCard:
Any ideas which card I should buy? :worship:

And :worshipning: everyone who helped me so far!

Thx! Nod
Full size but forget about any fancy cooling like that http://www.3dnews.ru/_imgdata/img/2007/08/06/55656.jpg because heatpipe will be higher than case's roof.
Just remember not to buy anything that has cooling which excesses upper edge of card's PCB (like the one I pasted link to)

I believe that E2140/E2160 is a lot cheaper ( don't worry about Intel calls it Pentium Dual Core Wink ) and it OCs to 2,8-3,0GHz most on the time with proper mobo.

Graphics - it depends how much You want to spend. I'm going to get something like 8500/8600 but ask Devs how do they see that.
Regards,
Embrion
I've recently come across some HD-DVD material that was VC-1 encoded that required me to push my CPU to 3Ghz, at 2.66Ghz it stuttered. If I were doing it again, and had waited, my 2.66Ghz CPU would've been one of the new 45nm 3Ghz CPUs. They run notably cooler, use less power, and can clock to 4Ghz! I have one of these in my desktop and it cost me about what my older 2.66Ghz CPU cost. Video, I've been VERY happy with my MSI 8500GT. It's linked elsewhere in this thread and is capable of low profile usage by simply removing the bracket - it's in my low profile box now. I have a copper Zalman cooler that looks like a blossom in this box, works great. I only dumped the OEM cooler because the thing refused to stay seated properly! I know this isn't the dirt cheap way to go but it seems to be sledgehammer effective.

Honestly if I were doing it again I'd be looking at this -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6856101061 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductRev...lse&Page=3

I'm seriously considering one of those for transcoding video etc. etc. and I've been told that some have gotten the E8400 to clock 4Ghz in one of those boxes fine. Just have to watch the vid heatsink is all, be sure to read user reviews.Cool
Thanks, the MSI 8500GT Videocard seems affordable. Laugh
Evin Wrote:Thanks, the MSI 8500GT Videocard seems affordable. Laugh

That's the one. Going to the bracketless config loses S-Video, on my box it works fine with no bracket. Supposedly MSI will send you a free low profile bracket if you ask but I've not worried about it. NewEgg sells those fairly cheap.
  • 18(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware for Linux and XBMC4