HOW-TO create video preview thumbnails automatically
I was wondering if someone could help me create a batch file to create thumbs. I can create thumbs by opening a command window in my folder using the line (for %i in (*.dvr-ms) do ffmpeg -i "%i" -f mjpeg -t 0.001 -ss 5 -y "%~ni.tbn") but so far I can't seem to use any of the batch files you all have suggested. I want to create thumbs for dvr-ms files that are storred in C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV. I may be doing this wrong but what I have done is copy your scripts and put them in a text file, saved it as test.bat and when I double click on it nothing happens. I think I set up the dirrectories correct. Any help would be much appreciated.
Post the exact batch file.
here is what I put in a txt document and saved as test.bat

@echo off

setlocal
set FFMPEG=C:\Windows\System32\ffmpeg.exe
set THUMB="%%~di%%~pi%%~ni.tbn"
set MAKETHUMB=%FFMPEG% -i "%%i" -f mjpeg -t 0.001 -ss 5 -y %THUMB%

set FILES="*.dvr-ms"
set DIRS=C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV\Sample Media

for /r C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV\Sample Media %%i in ( %FILES% ) do if not exist %THUMB% %MAKETHUMB%

endlocal
Is ffmpeg.exe in the corrent directory? ie C:\Windows\System32\ffmpeg.exe
That was causing me problems.
Hitcher Wrote:Is ffmpeg.exe in the corrent directory? ie C:\Windows\System32\ffmpeg.exe
That was causing me problems.

yes I checked that also. I have tried this on two different computers, one xp and one vista.

I appreciate you taking the time to help me. Any more suggestions would be great.
Thanks
Quote:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=29699
Wouldnt this all be easier to just make a Service installer, that Has a menu that contains "Directory's" "file types" and "Date/times to run".

And have it update a batch file written directly to system32, that would run on a service base, that would loop the end of the script, endlessly, until the time specified is reached(best if written in hex), then run the begining of the batch. containing the Thumbnail Creation script...

I dont know about you, but it make it alot easier on alot of people. id do it but i dont have a scriptable installer creator. only thing i have or ever used is install4j...

and that wont do anyone any good Laugh.

Just thoughts...

--

Some one should also write a Python script to parse these pictures as thumbnails for files, for XBMC Xbox Flavor.. dont you think!?..
Are video thumb nails whats supposed to go in that blank icon in aeon when you highlight over a tv show?
NVM, I thought this for for video preview like the PS3 has. Where it shows like 5 seconds OF the video.
Would it be hard to implement this feature into xbmc tho?

I mean we already have a screengrab feature which captures to a BMP. Could xbmc be expanded to turn that into a TBN file with the same filename as the video?
Pls.I know that this post have a long time to activated but someone may help.

I have 2 computers and i run the script in both of them.

In the first comp is running perfect and i have have thumnail in the folder.

In the second one the thumnail is next to the folder.

ANY IDEAHuhHuh? HELPPPPPP
I just worked up a bash script for Linux that will generate thumbs. Let me know if it works:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
ls *.wmv *.avi *.mkv *.ogm *.mpg | while read file; do
        ffmpeg -itsoffset -5 -i $file -vcodec mjpeg -vframes 1 -an -f rawvideo ${file:0:${#file}-3}tbn </dev/null
done

It assumes the video file extension is three characters, so it won't work on, say, a *.mpeg file.
I have a Win MCE2005 that I record all my shows on to D:\Recorded TV (they have a .dvr-ms extension) and would like to be able to auto create thumbs to play back on xbmc. I am able to run this line in a cmd prompt to create thumbs using the following: but only by opening up a cmd prompt in the folder D:\Recorded TV and then pasting the line in.This works but I cann't run a task schedual.

"for /r %i in (*.dvr-ms) do ffmpeg -i "%i" -f mjpeg -t 0.001 -ss 5 -y "%~di%~pi%~ni.tbn"

I am able to run a batch file like this and use task schedual and it works perfect, but only if I move a recording inot a folder "C:\test" but if I subsitute "C:\test" with "D:\Recorded TV" it doesn't work. I don't want to manually move all my recording daily and plus the d:\recorded tv is where mce reads the file from.

@echo off

set FFMPEG=C:\Windows\System32\ffmpeg.exe
set THUMB="%%~di%%~pi%%~ni.tbn"
set MAKETHUMB=%FFMPEG% -i "%%i" -f mjpeg -t 0.001 -ss 5 -y %THUMB%
set FILES="*.mov" "*.dvr-ms" "*.avi" "*.flv" "*.wmv" "*.mp4"

for /r C:\test %%i in ( %FILES% ) do if not exist %THUMB% %MAKETHUMB%

Does anyone have any suggestions? Do I need to move all my recordings into another folder because of some permissions not allowing me to run a batch file into my recorded tv folder in MCE2005.
Hope this all makes sense.
Thanks Agian
jaredharley Wrote:Vista's registry is just a little bit different. Place the below code into a normal text file, and save as a .reg file (should have the little blue cube of blocks icon).
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tbn\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
@="{3F30C968-480A-4C6C-862D-EFC0897BB84B}"
This does work on Vista.

Sorry for pulling up an old thread but I can't seem to get this to work. It did add to my registry but all tbn's still show as a generic icon in explorer instead of a preview of the pic like regular jpeg's do.

edit: Nevermind. I restarted the computer and it's working now.
Just a little bump on this thread - it works fine doing it this way, but has something been done that makes it easier yet? A nice little GUI version perhaps?
theophile Wrote:I just worked up a bash script for Linux that will generate thumbs. Let me know if it works:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
        ffmpeg -itsoffset -5 -i $file -vcodec mjpeg -vframes 1 -an -f rawvideo ${file:0:${#file}-3}tbn </dev/null
done

It assumes the video file extension is three characters, so it won't work on, say, a *.mpeg file.

It basically works good, except for cases where there's a space in the name of the movie. The below version fixes that:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
        ffmpeg -itsoffset -5 -i "$file" -vcodec mjpeg -vframes 1 -an -f rawvideo "${file:0:${#file}-3}tbn" </dev/null
done

The problem I still have is that while tbns are created, XBMC seems to ignore them, and rather automatically creates its own (which are broken and just show a grey box).

I have deleted the previously auto-created tbns from the cache, but they're just recreated...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO create video preview thumbnails automatically0