Anime lookup scraper for anidb.net and/or animenfo.com
Well ... xml interface is in "progress" ... or at least there is a draft in their wiki ...

I guess the best to get one would be to code it via their API and offer it to them ... Wink

But I do agree, in 2009, proprietary API is weird ... :/
OK ... their API is quite restrictive ... and the laws are really strict ... (yes law not rules, I chose my words) ...

I'll see if I can do something OR if I can find another website ... But it seems anidb is the most detailed website around ....
gzip support is in svn (untested). please, if you could be so kind.. Smile

<url gzip="yes">...</url>
Sorry to bring you down by the message below ... :p

I won't be needing gzip support in the scraper I plan to write ... I am actually going to write the missing xml-api ... so I won't be accessing directly via web to anidb.net ...

and ... I don't use the xbmc svn ... I went for the windows version on my media pc ... However, I could possibly try to find a *nux box to test ...
just check out the community builds in the windows section, i'm sure jester have already built atleast twice after r17389.

but sure, i'll test it myself then Wink
.... ... .. I tried to use the API ... oh it works ... ... but ...

It seems to be designed to follow 3rd Reich laws ... From what I saw :
-0.5/UDP pkt/s otherwise you get banned
-no more than 6 login/day otherwise, you get banned
-scraping website, you get banned
-and so on ...
What is the use of an brilliant website, providing (a UDP proprietary) API if you can't use it ?! really ... I was so happy to bring this to the XBMC community ...

And maybe what REALLY brought me down this morning ... I was trying to find other sources than anidb ... and found .... that IMDB had nearly everything already ....

Ohh I feel baaaaddddd ... Sad
acaranta Wrote:.... ... .. I tried to use the API ... oh it works ... ... but ...

-and so on ...
What is the use of an brilliant website, providing (a UDP proprietary) API if you can't use it ?! really ... I was so happy to bring this to the XBMC community ...

And maybe what REALLY brought me down this morning ... I was trying to find other sources than anidb ... and found .... that IMDB had nearly everything already ....

Ohh I feel baaaaddddd ... Sad

They lack thumbnails for most anime....as someone stated earlier your best bet is likely Animenfo

As for anidb restrictions...it's mainly in place to cut cost. They have several clients who's main function is to hash and update their DBs with release information. I'll never understand why people don't realize providing "free" information still cost the provider. I cringe at the thought of how much overhead imdb pays for the bandwidth scrapers cause...just because it's a single click to you to scan all your shows it's actually serving up tons of crap for each show. This is why even imdb has an offline version of their DB...sadly nobody uses it
animenfo doesnt even serve episode lists
I have no clue about this stuff but could anything be done with http://www.animenewsnetwork.com
acaranta Wrote:.... ... .. I tried to use the API ... oh it works ... ... but ...

-and so on ...
(

Apologies for bumping a very old thread, and it is probably too late to address your concerns anyway, but I figure the thread has been going for five years, why stop now?

You are correct in that there is a one packet / two seconds UDP request limit. But there is no limit to the number of logins per day. May I ask what gave the impression there was? I would like to ensure others don't walk away with the same impression.

- Ommina [AniDB]
Lightbulb 
Since even if this thread is outdated, there may be a other solution to the anime scraping problem.

Like most anime fans we all know except for anidb.net all other sites or even tvdb.com just have like 50% of whats on our disks.
Its rather frustrating to always switch from file to lib mode than enjoyable if 50% of your collection is not recognized or even if, they miss the latets episode updates so its still "invisible" for the lib mode.

If i remember correctly the "AniDB O'Matic" tool is downloading the whole anidb.net database at once and than just incremental updates and can work in complete offline mode.

So assuming a simple or even a "normal" database format is there some kind of way to simply use this offline database and just grab the incremental updates with a script?
I mean tha main reason why we dont have a anidb scraper is that we dont want/can write a scraper for there udp based api. But given a local database file there is no need for this and also no restrictions on how fast/often u grab the data.

Maybe some dev can give some ideas how to gather informations from a local database, i can try to puzzle out what format this database is. Also i guess for AoM there may be sourcecode rdy.

The big advantage would be that we can build or regex the filehashs out of the filename and directly do a lookup and this will be always 100% correct and we dont even need a "valid" folder structure at all. U can even have all your anime in one big folder and the lib is still 100% in sync and valid.

Some hints are welcome.

PS: We still cant scrape fanart/posters but with the correct name u can scrape the other TV sites and i rather select a local image myself than having wrong or none library data.

bye Andy
It's interesting that someone from the AniDB has commented on this thread out of the blue. It might be beneficial for the XBMC community to work with them to find out the best solution for both parties. I don't want to put AniDB out of business because XBMC users are scrapping it to hell.
Maxim Wrote:It's interesting that someone from the AniDB has commented on this thread out of the blue. It might be beneficial for the XBMC community to work with them to find out the best solution for both parties. I don't want to put AniDB out of business because XBMC users are scrapping it to hell.

I dont think there are zillions of anime fans that use XBMC that would increase there server load, but i still think the local database copy could work. Maybe we can write a "normal" scraper that redirects/connects to this local db somehow. Im completely new to XBMC scrapers so im not really sure whats possible.
Definatly a +1 from me, i'd love to see this feature since half my anime can't b found thru TVdb thing and comes up as weird stuff ^0^
i would like to see this for xbmc as well. i used to use this plugin for another software: http://code.google.com/p/animeplugin2/. im not sure how xbmc works with grabbing/scraping information from a website, but maybe some dev interested in creating this could talk to the other guys that wrote the plugin for mediaportal and try to port it to xbmc maybe or something. just pitching an idea.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Anime lookup scraper for anidb.net and/or animenfo.com2