Are Dual-Core/Quad-Core CPU faster at video decoding?
Actually, I am trying to get Transformers to play as well. I have remuxed the original HD DVD H264 stream into a MKV with no compression using eac3to. On windows, I use CoreAVC and it has no trouble playing it. I am actually running a 1.6ghz core2 at 2.6ghz, and that is the highest stable OC I can get. I stopped using FFDShow for h264 as I was having weird issues with Transformers, A/V sync, dropping frames. I know FFDShow uses the same libav decoder as xbmc which I guess is why it is having problems. However, I just don't understand why it seems as though xbmc is not using both of my cores to the full capability, during transformers my CPU-Total is ~60% and CPU-XBMC is ~125%.
I guess it all comes down to the fact that ffmpeg is not multithreaded. Any chance we could get coreavc integrated into xbmc for linux?

http://code.google.com/p/coreavc-for-linux/
no
spiff Wrote:no

Well I figured since it's not open source and isn't free, worth asking though. With the newer builds of ffmpeg with the CABAC patch it seems as though people are able to play 1080p h264 with multithreaded decoding. Is this patch in the xbmc linux svn? I know the patch has been submitted to the ffdshow svn. Thanks
yes the ffmpeg in xbmc-linux is pretty much @ trunk.

even if we wanted to support nonfree software (which we dont) we
1) dont have any binary codec interface in the dvdplayer
2) dont want to piss off the coreavc devs
3) your $15 is much better spent at a bounty to get better support in ffmpeg instead of going into the pocket of some cheating (its true - coreavc doesnt do bit perfect decoding of reference files) company
I totally understand about CoreAVC. According to my research, the cabac patch has not reached the ffmpeg svn as it's considered experimental although it is included in the FFDshow svn. I assume that since you say xbmc is essentially at trunk with ffmpeg, that the cabac patch won't be considered until it is included in the ffmpeg svn. Am I correct in assuming that xbmc developers won't include the the cabac support until it hits svn? Thanks.

Some talk about the cabac patch: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=120465&page=148
ah, rite. it's outside the ffmpeg trunk.

i can't speak for the devs in question (elupus, vulkanr, elan), but we're slightly less purists than the ffmpeg devs so it will certainly be considered
Thank you very much. Multithreaded decode of h264 would make a lot of people happy as there is a lot of content out there right now that a single core just can't handle. It would also significantly lower the need to get gpu assisted decode working.
Vulkanr submitted the Cabac patch. The Planet Earth I have play a LOT better now. Barely any dropped frames (at least in comparison).

Great!
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
A DEFINITE improvement. Both cores are now clearly in use. That insane planet earth birds clip played at 10-12fps before, now it plays at 18-20fps. Don't get me wrong, I still got plenty of dropped frames and audio stuttering; it's not actually watchable. But it's not a realistic sample anyway at 25Mbps bitrate. This one patch could allow us to reduce recommended HD hardware requirements by like 25%.

One minor bug introduced; the CPU usage in display info is now incorrect. I can't get it to go over 12% even on the birds clip.
Hmm.. I don't get any audio stuttering anymore. And ya, the cpu displayed is not correct. Mine showed max of 8% I think.

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Does it play at the full 24fps for you? Maybe you're dropping less frames than I am. I have a dualcore e4500 at 3Ghz though, it's not a wimpy machine.
Someone please test some VC1 content, both clips I have show significant artifacting on the first build with this patch. My remuxed Transformers 1080p HD DVD now plays better but still drops frames.
Ya, pretty good at 24fps. I still get dropped frames, but nothing compared to what it used to be. And I did not notice any audio drop outs.

I have an AMD 6000+ dual core.

That's weird, my CPU should be considerably faster than yours.

Maybe contrary to popular XBMC wisdom my HTPC's crappy integrated video and sound are actually having some impact? Do you have a real videocard or soundcard?

I don't have any VC1 content. Do you have a link to a sample somewhere? Would be happy to test it for you.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Are Dual-Core/Quad-Core CPU faster at video decoding?0