Are Dual-Core/Quad-Core CPU faster at video decoding?
Yup, just confirmed the problem exists on VC1 content when using labavcodec on the XXL build of FFDShow.
Talking to some ffmpeg devs, they are looking into it.

dustin
Bug confirmed, not related to the cabac patch. FFmpeg devs are on it.
The current build actually has problems with all WMV content. When seeking through it, FPS drops from max to ~11-12FPS, but that bug has been in XBMC for months. It also tends to crash and checkerboard a lot on WMV recently.
Interesting, at least we know it's not something specific to XBMC and will likely be fixed with the FFmpeg fixes. I'm only really playing occasional MPEG and lots of .264 based stuff right now on XBMC so I didn't see it anywhere else. Right now I'm spending a ton of time ripping and converting HD-DVD to X.264 encoded video...
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
MPEG2, divx, xvid, and h.264 content always plays perfect in XBMC. Everything else changes week to week.
be aware if your plan on doing hd or blu ray rips to h264 and have a dual core machine, you will need to find an encoder that encodes with "slicing" otherwise you get no benefit of dual core decoding.
-------------
I Bare It All -Personal Blog
gateway69 Wrote:be aware if your plan on doing hd or blu ray rips to h264 and have a dual core machine, you will need to find an encoder that encodes with "slicing" otherwise you get no benefit of dual core decoding.

I'm converting HD now using X.264 with meGUI on Windows Vista64 and my videos benefit from the multiple cores. meGUI does have a checkbox labeled CABAC as I recall, defaulted ON I believe, but the description makes it sound like something pretty minor but I'm pretty sure it's what's allowing the dual core. I got a great deal of help on the Doom9 forums and have a system pretty well down pat now with an emphasis on quality. So far XBMC has had no issues decoding them.

Oh, I don't compress all videos. If they are H.264 I leave them alone (Transformers for sure and Next I think). I will double check but I'm pretty sure that Transformers utilizes both cores and I did nothing to it other than move it to a different container (MKV from EVO). The VC-1 vids play kinda' crappy last I tried one (artifacts) and they shrink well - after transcoding they play fineNod
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
VC1 Playback has been fixed in xbmc as of yesterday. Thanks goes to the devs of FFMpeg and xbmc.
Yes, WMV files now play without checkerboarding or crashing. Slowdown on seek is still present.
dustobub Wrote:VC1 Playback has been fixed in xbmc as of yesterday. Thanks goes to the devs of FFMpeg and xbmc.

Excellent news, thank you! I may still compress to save a little space but knowing I no longer have to is great. Will the VC-1 videos take advantage of multiple cores? Or perhaps a better question - which formats exactly get a boost right now?
1080p x264 drops frames like crazy. It looks as if both CPU cores are used equally, but they never go above ~75%, which seems a bit strange to me. I expect the framedropping to occur when the CPU cores are maxed out. Is it wrong of me to assume this?

Any ideas?

I'm running the 12195 rev. Specs: Athlon 64 X2 3800+, GeForce 6200.

Btw, 720p playback is very smooth at ~40-50% per core.
Is it possible you are I/O bound? I do not drop frames until my CPUs hit 100% and bumping up the clock has solved this for me in the past. What is feeding your system media?
I have tried playing the clip from a local hard drive with the same result. The total bitrate is only ~12 Mbit/s, so I don't think file I/O is the issue here.

I just noticed that XBMC uses ~15% CPU even when idle, which seems a bit odd. Do you see this as well? Of not, I guess this might be related to the 75% CPU cap issue in some way.
I see some usage at idle, I do not recall how much as I now have debug off most of the time. I'm nto aware of any 75% "cap" as my CPU cores will frequently go above that when decoding scenes with high bitrate content. In fact I will see 100% on the bird scene from Planet Earth and drop frames even on my own encoding. This on a C2D running 3Ghz. I know from past experiments with that scene in a test clip that speeding up my CPU will cause it to drop fewer frames so there's certainly no "cap" at work.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Are Dual-Core/Quad-Core CPU faster at video decoding?0