This has gone far enough- what's happening Team Kodi?
(2016-12-06, 09:21)Koying Wrote:
(2016-12-06, 08:38)Memphiz Wrote: What do you want to hear now?
Exactly. We assure everyone there are no botnets in Kodi.
Does technology go faster than the capacity of most to grasp it? Totally, but nothing we can do about it.

Then, half of the US voted for Trump, so maybe there is a basic issue of plain stupidity and/or education at hand?
And where stupidity lies, you'll find sharks ready to take advantage of it...

Less than half (by 2.6 million and counting), but the US has a broken election system where losers can still win :(
I wonder if OnKz is the kind of person who blames murdered victims for getting killed.

I want the Kodi team to remove and stop referencing https://kodi.tv/the-piracy-box-sellers-a...ling-kodi/.

It's rather rude to ask user to "please, ask them to stop." when you are not or can't actually doing anything about it. No reply on this post seems to reference anything different.

(2016-12-06, 13:14)trogggy Wrote:
(2016-12-06, 07:56)Djsmurf Wrote: I call BS for both comments, you link an article from Feb. I wonder if anything is actually being done. Like OnKz asked and I have the same question "Is your only plan to 'ignore' the piracy issues?" I don't use Kodi I have however had a number of clients coming in with reports of suspected botnet activity from their ISP's after buying "loaded" Kodi devices. It led me to start pushing back against local sellers as in your Feb. post you asked for people help. From then until now it is everywhere, and when you argue the point in your posted article people post that they can go out to multiple sources and can obtain the same product. Is your 10 month old post just a "hey were doing something" when your not? You advise " common sense" and the buyers of these loaded boxes don't have that. You can't or as both post state do not have the resources to combat the issue, and if that is the case are mitm, ,and botnet issues something that needs to be addressed, or can't be?
So did you tell your clients they're stupid idiots? Or did you blame kodi?

I tell them their idiots, same as the people who come to me after paying someone to "fix" their stuff because they call a phone number on a pop-up. I don't scrutinize Kodi because I don't know enough about the project. Research has not really proved much in their favor.
(2016-12-06, 09:21)Koying Wrote:
Exactly. We assure everyone there are no botnets in Kodi.
Does technology go faster than the capacity of most to grasp it? Totally, but nothing we can do about it.

Then, half of the US voted for Trump, so maybe there is a basic issue of plain stupidity and/or education at hand?
And where stupidity lies, you'll find sharks ready to take advantage of it...

So you "Assure everyone there are no botnets in Kodi." then go on to state "Does technology go faster than the capacity of most to grasp it? Totally, but nothing we can do about it." so there could be botnets in kodi. Then toss in a election rant as a redirect.....
If you are here to troll just go away
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2016-12-07, 08:14)Martijn Wrote: If you are here to troll just go away

I don't think any of my post fall into the "troll" realm. Just looking for answers.
(2016-12-07, 08:00)Djsmurf Wrote:

I want the Kodi team to remove and stop referencing https://kodi.tv/the-piracy-box-sellers-a...ling-kodi/.

Ok.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2016-12-07, 08:12)Djsmurf Wrote: So you "Assure everyone there are no botnets in Kodi." then go on to state "Does technology go faster than the capacity of most to grasp it? Totally, but nothing we can do about it." so there could be botnets in kodi.
Anyone able to read code can assess that.
In case you didn't notice, I'm part of the team that develop Kodi, so your remark make no sense.

Are people stupid enough to buy fully-loaded boxes from shaddy vendors with "whatever" installed on it, including non-genuine Kodi that can make that box a botnet zombie? Absolutely...

PS I totally imply that Amazon marketplace is a shaddy place in that previous statement.
@OnKz we're still fighting. Amazon has been informed about the preloaded boxes and FireSticks a couple months ago IIRC, but still didn't take action so far AFAIK. We're also trying to cleanup eBay atm, but they are also not cooperating too well. Youtube was/is also giving us a hard time. It's really hard to fight against this stuff without lawyers. The big players (movie industry) would have to take action, as they have a better legal position to fight these streaming boxes.
(2016-12-07, 00:34)bilgepump Wrote: Chevy or chrysler or Ford don't have a responsibility to do anything just because it was their car used in the getaway. Kodi is the car. Anyone who thinks that the car manufacturer had anything to do with the robbery because it supplied a universally available device for "doing stuff" is mistaken.

It's literally that SIMPLE. Thread should've been closed after this PERFECT answer.
Risks of OPEN SOURCE

Sent from my iPhone
(2016-12-07, 10:22)da-anda Wrote: @OnKz we're still fighting. Amazon has been informed about the preloaded boxes and FireSticks a couple months ago IIRC, but still didn't take action so far AFAIK. We're also trying to cleanup eBay atm, but they are also not cooperating too well. Youtube was/is also giving us a hard time. It's really hard to fight against this stuff without lawyers. The big players (movie industry) would have to take action, as they have a better legal position to fight these streaming boxes.

Thank you for this answer, I'm glad you've actually responded with some good news in comparison to the other users who have commented on these issues.
I suppose the main issue here is the fact that Amazon literally owns the Fire Stick brand, and they probably wouldn't want to remove any form of advertising of their products, whether it's for illegal or legal uses. However, yeah, Youtube issues do suck, I've seen multiple thousands of those 'free IPTV' tutorials on YT which use Kodi in some way. Really annoying. But yeah, I'm glad that the team have already attempted to contact companies who have points of sale for these Kodi preloaded boxes. Very reassuring.

(2016-12-07, 18:59)Fail$tyle420 Wrote:
(2016-12-07, 00:34)bilgepump Wrote: Chevy or chrysler or Ford don't have a responsibility to do anything just because it was their car used in the getaway. Kodi is the car. Anyone who thinks that the car manufacturer had anything to do with the robbery because it supplied a universally available device for "doing stuff" is mistaken.

It's literally that SIMPLE. Thread should've been closed after this PERFECT answer.

Except, it's not that simple, is it? Cars are used by practically everyone in their daily lives, and one car out of millions will clearly be an odd one out. However, Kodi's situation is not that simple, and I honestly question your sanity if thats how you think it really is. Kodi is not used by everybody in the population. But, unfortunately, it's being used by more pirates than there are actual users. (or at least it seems like that)

Thing is, car owners are not all criminals. Lets say 0.01% of car owners have committed a crime, just for comparisons sake. In contract to this, Kodi's user adoption within 2016 is honestly looking like somewhere near 50% being pure illegal users and 50% ACTUAL Kodi users.

Take it this way. If 50% of all car owners spent their days killing people on the roads and driving terribly with drugs, the situation would be different, wouldn't it?

Yes, I know Kodi is free and as you say, it is 'universally available' BUT it is also something we respect, and we have a duty to help out the piracy issues instead of being so oblivious. Which explains my real intent of this post. I'm honestly just wondering how we can help out as a 'user base' of this mighty fine software. The devs make this awesome software, so we have the duty to help them out in their time of need. That's all I'm trying to point out. Saying things like 'troll post' or whatnot- it really makes me question the integrity of some of you regular forum users. Please, don't be deluded.

(2016-12-07, 04:09)Ned Scott Wrote: I wonder if OnKz is the kind of person who blames murdered victims for getting killed.

....no? I don't understand where you're coming from. What do you mean? I'm not blaming anyone for anything. Read again.
(2016-12-06, 12:24)black_eagle Wrote: Ironic that these sites that host pirate content are upset because third party add-ons are stealing it !!

I love it when that happens. Pirates moaning about other pirates stealing their 'hard work'.
It's very ironic indeed.
(2016-12-07, 23:40)OnKz Wrote:
(2016-12-07, 18:59)Fail$tyle420 Wrote:

Except, it's not that simple, is it? Cars are used by practically everyone in their daily lives, and one car out of millions will clearly be an odd one out. However, Kodi's situation is not that simple, and I honestly question your sanity if thats how you think it really is. Kodi is not used by everybody in the population. But, unfortunately, it's being used by more pirates than there are actual users. (or at least it seems like that)

Thing is, car owners are not all criminals. Lets say 0.01% of car owners have committed a crime, just for comparisons sake.
More like 99%. How many people never speed, never break any rules of the road?
And we're talking about life and death, literally, there.
Burn all cars. You know it makes sense.

If you think that's a stupid position maybe you can relate a little to how all the 'OMG sort it out NOW!' posts make me feel.
(2016-12-07, 23:40)OnKz Wrote: Take it this way. If 50% of all car owners spent their days killing people on the roads and driving terribly with drugs, the situation would be different, wouldn't it?
No. The responsibility for dealing with the drivers would still fall on the police and any other agencies/authorities responsible for road safety/drug enforcement. It wouldn't shift to Ford or Chrysler or whomever.

There is a difference from my analogy in that Kodi's name is being used inappropriately by others, and the team should look at ways to protect that, which I understand from what's been said is happening, but it isn't as simple as saying in regard to unlawful content providers "they should stop it!". Stopping it (or, rather, trying to stop it) is ultimately up to regulators, law enforcement, or rights holders, not the Kodi Team. That was my point.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
This has gone far enough- what's happening Team Kodi?2