Windows 7 Home Premium or Pro
I have decided to install a SSD on my windows 7 HTPC. I want to do a clean install and was wondering if there is any advantages to using Windows 7 Pro instead of Home Premium? I have the install disc for home premium but can get a copy of pro if it would be an advantage. I do not want to use windows 10 at this time because when I tried the free upgrade all it did was cause Kodi to crash every time I started it up. Thanks in advance for any guidance or help.
A quick search turned up Home Premium: 16GB of physical memory supported Professional: 192GB of physical memory supported; Home Premium: Limited to local HDD or DVD Professional: Local HDD, DVD and Network; Home Premium: No Professional: Yes;

If your system memory doesn't exceed 16 gigs I couldn't see the rest as making too much difference for Kodi. Upgrading to windows 10 is a preference at this point that I can do without, but in eventuality I will make the move when the time is right for me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions
Pat, that is basically what I found in my research, I was just wondering if there were any other reasons or advantages to go with Pro when using Kodi.. Remote desktop is another feature that Pro has and Home does not. Thanks for the response.

(2016-12-08, 02:43)PatK Wrote: A quick search turned up Home Premium: 16GB of physical memory supported Professional: 192GB of physical memory supported; Home Premium: Limited to local HDD or DVD Professional: Local HDD, DVD and Network; Home Premium: No Professional: Yes;

If your system memory doesn't exceed 16 gigs I couldn't see the rest as making too much difference for Kodi. Upgrading to windows 10 is a preference at this point that I can do without, but in eventuality I will make the move when the time is right for me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions
There's really no advantage in going with a lesser edition even if you aren't running an Active Directory server at home :-)
Windows 11 Pro, Kodi 20, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32gb RAM, nVidia 3080 ti
If you're doing a clean install anyway, I'd suggest Win 7 Pro, then upgrade to Win 10 and try Kodi again. You can always roll back to Win 7 if you don't like it.

There's no point in setting up an older OS unless the new version causes problems, and Windows 10 is a decent OS
Tippon, if I might ask why do you think I should install Win 7 Pro over Home Premium? Are there benefits that were not mentioned in the other responses? Would I see an advantage if I decide to go with Win 10 later. I tried Win 10 back when the free update was available and I had nothing but problems with trying to run Kodi. It would crash every time I tried to watch TV. I did a complete clean install after deleting all Kodi files and folders, tried both Jarvis 16.1 and the Krypton Beta's and it still crashed on start up and the dreaded exception caught on main loop.exiting message , I tried putting the computer to sleep and also leaving it on all the time, even set it up to shut down Kodi upon exit and restarting when starting up and it still crashed about 75% of the time. Finally the wife had enough so I rolled back to windows 7 and reloaded 16.1. I now am running Krypton 17.5 beta and it has been very stable, only issue is I cannot load most of my addons but since the wife can now record and watch TV I will wait for the final stable version before upgrading. After I do a clean windows 7 install on my new SSD I may try 10 again. If it makes a difference we only do OTA antenna TV. no sat or cable and use NextPVR as the Kodi back end.

(2016-12-08, 14:01)Tippon Wrote: If you're doing a clean install anyway, I'd suggest Win 7 Pro, then upgrade to Win 10 and try Kodi again. You can always roll back to Win 7 if you don't like it.

There's no point in setting up an older OS unless the new version causes problems, and Windows 10 is a decent OS
http://www.howtogeek.com/266072/you-can-...r-8.1-key/

I think you can now do a fresh install of Windows 10 with a 7, 8 or 8.1 key.

FWIW
Connecting to a HTPC with Remote Desktop is not great as it locks the screen - try using VNC/TeamViewer/Chrome Remote Desktop
4x R-Pi4b LibreELEC v10 | Aeon Nox: SiLVO | Flirc cases
Storage Synology DS411 | 4 x WD RED 6TB
Software MariaDB 10.4.19 | Filebot | Ember Media Manager
wiki (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | Debug_Log (wiki) | mysql (wiki) | artwork (wiki)
(2016-12-08, 02:57)1maynard Wrote: Remote desktop is another feature that Pro has and Home does not.
That's the main reason I have Pro on some of my computers. I can access those from a different room. If you don't have, or plan to get, computers in different rooms that you don't want to go in there to set a program to record (or something), then it wouldn't be an attraction. As with anything, it depends on your use.
Sorry, I meant to add this to my original post, but got distracted.

Windows 7 Pro will allow you to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, and get some extra features like Bitlocker. I don't think there's anything that would make either version a deal breaker, but if you've got Pro anyway, you may as well get the extra features. There's more info on Wikipedia here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_editions

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 7 Home Premium or Pro0