Does XBMC support AVCHD / Blu-ray format (.m2ts & .m2t & .evo extensions)?
I have read that XBMC supports MPEG-4 AVC (H.264, including Nero Digital) but what is the file extension? I am thinking about getting a new HD Sony AVCHD Camcorder which writes .m2ts files that falls under the Blu-Ray standard.

Will the XBMC support this? I understand that their needs to be some major horsepower to play these but wanted to start a discussion on what other HD users are migrating to. Does anyone know of a device that can play these like the XBMC?
So does the Linux port support AVCHD files yet? This is the BD format, produced by Sony (and other) HD home video cameras.

I poked around and couldn't find anything.

I know this is still in development, I was just curious.

Thanks!
-Mark
potentially, thou not tested. libavcodec has some prelim support for it so some samples "might" work.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

elupus Wrote:potentially, thou not tested. libavcodec has some prelim support for it so some samples "might" work.

Tried it out, I get about a half a second of sound and one frame of video, then XBMC crashes and goes away completely.

Let me know if there's any value in capturing debug information at this point. The main HD video I want to play is AVCHD, so I've got tons to test with.
AVCHD short for Advanced Video Codec High Definition
Quote:As its name implies, AVCHD uses an MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) video codec. AVC's better compression (compared to the older MPEG-2 codec of HDV) lets it record video of the same quality of MPEG-2 but in less space. The audio track can be stored as uncompressed 7.1 linear PCM or compressed AC-3 5.1. The compressed audio and video data are encapsulated in an MPEG-2 Transport Stream called BDAV. This stream format and most of the structure of AVCHD are derived from the Blu-ray Disc BDMV format.
XBMC video-player core (named siply "DVDPlayer") uses FFmpeg to demux video containers and decode the contained video and audio streams within. Now FFmpeg supports MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) video, PCM and AC-3 5.1 audio, and even standard MPEG-2 Transport Stream, ...however I am not so sure that FFmpeg currently supports the AVCHD/BDAV container derivitive format of the MPEG-2 Transport Stream.

I am sure that a debug log and a maybe sample or two would not hurt the investigation.

PS! Does those AVCHD/BDAV media-files play using MPlayer for Linux (or MPlayer for Windows)? ...MPlayer also uses FFmpeg.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Gamester17 Wrote:AVCHD short for Advanced Video Codec High Definition
XBMC video-player core (named siply "DVDPlayer") uses FFmpeg to demux video containers and decode the contained video and audio streams within. Now FFmpeg supports MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) video, PCM and AC-3 5.1 audio, and even standard MPEG-2 Transport Stream, ...however I am not so sure that FFmpeg currently supports the AVCHD/BDAV container derivitive format of the MPEG-2 Transport Stream.

I am sure that a debug log and a maybe sample or two would not hurt the investigation.

PS! Does those AVCHD/BDAV media-files play using MPlayer for Linux (or MPlayer for Windows)? ...MPlayer also uses FFmpeg.

Thanks - I'll upload this weekend. I'll test playing them with MPlayer.

(On Windows, they don't play with anything except the Sony player that came with the camera, and third-party products with explicit support, like Nero.)
So assuming I have a BluRay or HD-DVD that doesn't have copy protection, what's the best way to get something that XBMC-Linux can play?

1) Should I just rip the whole thing to an ISO? Does XBMC-Linux currently support HD-DVD or BluRay ISO's with menus and everything?

2) Just rip the movie part? Can I just rip it natively, or do I need to convert/transcode it to some other format? If the former, do tools like AnyDVD support ripping the movie part out? If the latter, what format (and any tool recommendations for conversion)?

If there are links to help me out, just point me in the general direction.

Thanks!
-Mark
It looks like there are currently more tools to do HD-DVD to something like Xvid than BluRay. I would also hazard a guess that currently neither of those formats are natively supported.
Catchy Signature Here
Beofore you ask any more questions, please read/browse/search the XBMC FAQ and online manual before each question (it is our forum rules!):
http://xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/index.ph..._Questions
http://xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/index.ph...ine_Manual

AbMagFab Wrote:Should I just rip the whole thing to an ISO?
No, XBMC can not yet read HD-DVD or BluRay ISO/IMG images. I think I one only decrypt/copy the files (*.evo), but even then I'm not sure if XBMC support that format, ...XBMC uses the FFmpeg open source codec suit to demux (using FFmpeg libavformat) and decode (using FFmpeg libavcodec) all video/audio codecs in video files, so if FFmpeg does not support that format yet then XBMC does not support that format yet. Please read this (from the XBMC FAQ):
http://xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/index.ph...t_requests

AbMagFab Wrote:Does XBMC-Linux currently support HD-DVD or BluRay ISO's with menus and everything?
No and no. As far as I know there is no open source library that enable HD DVD menus or Blu-ray menus (nor any other open source video players that support HD DVD menus or Blu-ray menus), ...and you can be sure that Team-XBMC will not write the source code for a such library from scratch ourself, however if somebody else ever make a open source library for HD DVD menus or Blu-ray menus then we should be able to implement that into XBMC.

Again, I refer to read the XBMC manual before asking any more questions about what XBMC can and can not do:
http://xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/index.ph...n_it_Do%3F

AbMagFab Wrote:Just rip the movie part? Can I just rip it natively, or do I need to convert/transcode it to some other format? If the former, do tools like AnyDVD support ripping the movie part out? If the latter, what format (and any tool recommendations for conversion)?
Also note that our forum rules include no discussion about ripping, for that I suggest you visit doom9.net and/or avsforum.com
I just tried a .m2ts / AVCHD file to XBMC and it wouldn't recognize it. Has anyone had any luck with this?
as gamester17 said, try it with mplayer as it uses ffmpeg also.

xbmc wont support it until ffmpeg does cos thats what it uses.
I have started changing over to MT2S files for my HI def storage, x264/AC3 as the streams. I can play them back fine on my PS3, however they don't show as a file format that XBMC can access.

Is there any plans for support of this container format, since it is the format that Blu-Ray uses I would love to go with something I can use in the future without having to remux over again.
try adding it to the video file types from advancedsettings.xml look it up on the wiki but it really depends on what it needs to open the container
m2ts is just another stupid naming convention (just like the asf vs wma vs wmv shenanigans). it is a normal mpeg transport streams (.ts) and are supported afaik
I you sure spiff? IIRC someone posted on the FFmpeg-dev mailing-list that M2TS/MT2/AVCHD demuxing in not yet supported in FFmpeg (libavformat). Anyway, this has been asked about before in these forums,see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=30020

So this applies to you SignusMedia:
Gamester17 Wrote:XBMC video-player core (named siply "DVDPlayer") uses FFmpeg to demux video containers and decode the contained video and audio streams within. Now FFmpeg supports MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) video, PCM and AC-3 5.1 audio, and even standard MPEG-2 Transport Stream, ...however I am not so sure that FFmpeg currently supports the AVCHD/BDAV container derivitive format of the MPEG-2 Transport Stream.

Test in MPlayer (MPlayer for Mac OS X) first, if it works there provide a debug log, and preferably a sample as well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does XBMC support AVCHD / Blu-ray format (.m2ts & .m2t & .evo extensions)?0