• 2(current)
Porting XBMC to Mac OS X (Leopard) - Developers only!
elan Wrote:By the way, I've been treating the OS X target as sort of a sub-port of Linux, so I leave _LINUX defined and then do...

#ifdef __APPLE__
#endif

...since OS X is pretty much UNIX. In the long term, it may make sense to define something like _UNIX at the high level and then #ifdef for LINUX, OS X, etc.

I hope this is alright, it certainly made the port easier, but please let me know if this isn't seen as the right way of doing things. Where it made sense I have whole new subclasses for things (like the PortAudio player) that live alongside the Linux and Windows ones.

Anyway, I want to get my changes merged into the branch as soon as possible. I need to do a bit more work and get things working better first.
Yeah, I'm all for it. Actually even today there are places that should not have _LINUX . I think that adding OSX support will be a compelling event to get that #define fixed.

Can you elaborate a bit on what's working for you in the apple port and what requires more work?

-Yuval
yuvalt Wrote:Can you elaborate a bit on what's working for you in the apple port and what requires more work?

After a single night's work, not too much (but I was happy to get as far as I did). It starts, I can browse through the menu tree, go to settings, etc. Browsing audio/video/pictures doesn't work because of a TLS issue (I think). Network needs work, and I need to check that DLLs can load and videos play. I also need to write an audio player using Portaudio.

-elan
elan Wrote:I've begun porting the code over to Mac OS X 10.5.1

That's AWESOME!
I personally think this'd be perfect ... just imagine it - a Mac Mini running XBMC. mmmmmm
Wink 
elan Wrote:2007-12-12 00:38:44.748 XboxMediaCenter[54121:813] Warning once: This application, or a library it uses, is using NSQuickDrawView, which has been deprecated. Apps should cease use of QuickDraw and move to Quartz.
Seems like you need to make SDL use Quartz Extreme (OpenGL acceleration for Quartz Compositor) instead of QuickDraw
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartz_Compositor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_OpenGL

Again, best is to refer to the libsdl.org website like their FAQ http://www.libsdl.org/faq.php?action=lis...category=7

Nerd
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Question 
elan Wrote:I also need to write an audio player using Portaudio
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PortAudio
interesting, ...but I thought that libSDL took care of that? or will PortAudio for Mac OS X work like ALSA under Linux as a low-level layer for the hardware (leaving libSDL to take care of the high-level stuff)?
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
elan Wrote:
Gamester17 Wrote:Also, where did you get that skin, becuase I can tell from the logo in the top left corner that it is a relativly old version of the PM3 skin(!)
Oh, that's funny. I didn't do anything to pick or checkout a skin, so it must be the default one that gets checked out on the Linux port branch? Where should I be getting it from?
That is odd, I through that especially the Linuxport branch should use the new logo that simply reads "XBMC" instead of "XBOX MEDIA CENTER", ...well I guess the Linux developers forgot to move that over(?), or maybe they are using the Project Mayhem 3 skin from the trunk instead even under Linux(?)

Huh
the linux port does have the new version I bet he has an old xpr see
https://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot...me_Top.png
Can't wait to try this Mac-port out. Smile
Would be cool if it could be used as a Finder recplacement, so the Mac can boot straight into XBMC.
aegzorz Wrote:Can't wait to try this Mac-port out. Smile
Would be cool if it could be used as a Finder recplacement, so the Mac can boot straight into XBMC.

Err... it's not a bad idea Smile But then XBMC should be improved in a very high way, but it's not a bad idea at all...
Exclamation 
Please respect that this is a development forum for developers/programmers, do not post request/suggestion for new features in this forum unless you actually are a developer/programmer yourself and plan to implement that said feature yourself. Thank you!
Sorry didn't mean it as a feature request, I'd love to help out with this Mac-port. I hope this makes it to the svn soon, just hope Xcode 2.5 can open xcode 3.0 files Smile
aegzorz Wrote:Sorry didn't mean it as a feature request, I'd love to help out with this Mac-port. I hope this makes it to the svn soon, just hope Xcode 2.5 can open xcode 3.0 files Smile

I'm not sure (about XCode 2.5 Apple updated the XCode project format) but in any case, better update to XCode 3.0 Wink It has some strange behaviours, but it's very cool when you config itNod
Gamester17 Wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PortAudio
interesting, ...but I thought that libSDL took care of that? or will PortAudio for Mac OS X work like ALSA under Linux as a low-level layer for the hardware (leaving libSDL to take care of the high-level stuff)?

Exactly, that is the idea.

-elan
Generally I would like to get rid of SDL_Audio. Currently it is used only for skin audio.
yuvalt Wrote:Generally I would like to get rid of SDL_Audio. Currently it is used only for skin audio.

The nice thing about it is that it is portable across a bunch of systems, and it's easy to just play a fixed piece of audio (like a skin sound).

However, Portaudio is very portable too, and would probably serve well, although it would need higher level code to playFile(...), etc. If the lower level Linux stuff had used it instead of ALSA, the port to OS X would have been trivial, and it's even portable to Windows, so it might be a good common layer. I used Portaudio extensively in a former job, and it's a solid bit of code.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Porting XBMC to Mac OS X (Leopard) - Developers only!3