MCE keyboard - possible solution
Lightbulb 
I know that some of us have gotten lirc working to use the MCE remote control. Some of us also have MCE keyboards though and have found that the lirc setup only gets the media keys working - seems a waste. Tonight on a lark, and being far from home, I did some digging to see if anyone had found solutions for this issue and I think I've found some help.

Two threads in the Ubuntu help forums look promising. ->
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=592057
and
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=350009

Which seem to lead to the mod_mce project.

What this appears to be is a kernel module that acts as a kbrd\mouse driver and a piece of code that can also act like lirc does for using the normal remote too. Near as I can tell a problem with using lirc is that it only seems to work in some applications, perhaps those that are coded to be "aware" of lirc. So getting lirc to work at say the terminal prompt doesn't look really likely (be gentle, I'm no pro and am trying hard to figure this out so could be wrong...). The advantage of this other driver is that it seems to sit a bit lower and can emulate kbrd/mouse functionality to programs that don't need to be coded specifically for it - I think. That they have also allowed for the normal remote to work emulating lirc is a nice touch!

Now, I've not yet gotten to try this and honestly have hit a wall trying to compile kernel modules in general (I'm seeking help from friends)Oo so hopefully this information will help out someone who's better at this figure out how to do this or what needs to be done.

The Microsoft HTPC gear is pretty readily available and their controllers are too so it seems to me that bending it to our use is a good way to go - hopefully this helps! As it happens I think I'm about to pop for a Harmony 360 remote to try and replace my MCE hand held and a small pile of others so I'll try to report on that when\if it happens too. I would love to hear from others tinkering\researching with this stuff too...:o
Hi BLKMGK.

I got my normal keyboard keys to work a couple of weeks ago, I thought I posted about it but must have forgotten.

I don't have access to my htpc right now so I will take everything from a top of my head.

I installed everything according to your first link and that got the media keys working but not the normal keys. The problem was that both modules lirc_mod_mce and mce2usb was loaded and interfered with each other. This is the part I don't remember (I should document this stuff Wink ) but I think I removed mce2usb using modprobe, at least it makes most sense.

The recent Lirc update that was made available via the update manager somehow inserted the mce2usb module into the kernal again so my keyboard is not working anymore. Will take a look at this over the weekend.
Excellent! I recall mention of someone working with the keyboard but only the media keys working - which is what I saw using mine with lirc as setup by Mythbuntu. I'm also not home so it sounds like I need to look further into how mine is setup too - it would be terrific to get this working! Is your mouse etc. working? In say Terminal windows and whatnot you get keystrokes? That's what I'm shooting for and if it's as easy as this all the better! By chance have you got UDF 2.5 working to read HD-DVD? That's going to be my next challenge and an issue that's not really part of XBMC but a feature I'm sure media oriented users are going to want.
Got it working again by removing the mceusb2 module from the kernel. However it was being inserted again after reboot so I had to rename the .ko file.
And yes mouse and keys work everywhere, however the mouse leaves much to be desired but it works for the few times you troubleshooting and when shutting down the box.

Sorry don't have any experience with UDF 2.5.
Question 
Okay, speak slowlyBlush

Did you have to recompile the kernel to remove this or did you simply rename the lirc_mceusb2.ko file? I'm still working on the whole recompile kernel thing I'm afraid so hopefully not that. I've got to learn how to do that anyway to get UDF2.5 it looks like. I've found a .ko file for that but it's for an older kernel <sigh>

I've found the lirc file but not yet been able to rename it heh. It's not letting me rename it but I'll figure that out. I truly appreciate the patience, slowly learning linux here!Confused
Sorry, I was in quite a haste.

Anyhow run the lsmod command in a terminal window to check if both lirc_mod_mce and lirc_mceusb2 is loaded. If so I got it working the first time around by running modprobe -r lirc_mceusb2 which remove the module. Then run depmod -a and restart the system (don't know if that is necessary). If the lirc_mceusb2 module is still being inserted after restart find the lirc_mce2usb.ko (mine was in /lib/modules/uname -r/ubuntu/media/lirc/lirc_mceusb2/ ) and rename it so it won't load next time.

Be sure to check that MODULES="lirc_mod_mce" in your hardware.conf.

Let me know if it works.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MCE keyboard - possible solution0