Migration to linux-xbmc
I decided to migrate to linux-xbmc because

* i miss some functionality in xbmc and having linux as a development enviroment i feel quite confortable
* i feel more secure putting my music in an ext2 filesystem instead of fatx Smile
* i am able to run other linux programs next to xbmc
* i'd like to utilize xbmc, because it already has much functionality

I would like to code the features i am missing about xbmc by myself and offer them, once they are implemented. However i need some start point
today I have download the linux trunk and after some minor "library adaptions" it compiled.
When I start it i get a black window, which is resized to full screen quite immeditaely.
But then nothing happens anymore. The content of the window is not updated and moving the window i see lots of artefacts of the windowmanager.

Is there something i generally do wrong ?

Thank you for your hints!
posting your xbmc.log could be a good start.

What's your video card?

Which drivers do you use?

Did you compile with ./build.sh ?

etc
Hallo!

Thanx for the fast reply!

Please find my logs at

https://sohler.homelinux/net/xbmc.log

There are some errors inside i was not able to resolve/not understand

https://sohler.homelinux.net/sources.xml

What's your video card?
lspci tells me

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G200 AGP (rev 03)

Which drivers do you use?

I suppose no specials

video 21065 0

Did you compile with ./build.sh ?

yes, finally. before i used ./configure and make

Do i have to care/compile Project MayhemIII ?
I did not do anything yet

Thank your for your reply
etc[/quote]
I think you need a stronger videocard. It needs to suport OpenGL 2.0 and Pixel Shader 3.0. If you don't configure it with --disable-gl and make it with make -sdl_2d

It might be this atleast Smile You can call "gl-info | grep GL_VERSION" in the terminal. And you should see your OpenGL version.

http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/HOW-...ource_code
If you run config and make first don't forget to run the build.sh with NOUPDATE NOCOMPILE
Quote:If you don't configure it with --disable-gl and make it with make -sdl_2d
Any h/w OpenGL is better than SDL 2D, so I wouldn't recommend --disable-gl unless the OpenGL drivers are downright unusable.

gsohler, the black screen you got is because you ran the executable from the source tree. Please read the README and follow the build instructions.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

Thank you for the fast answer. I still exserience some problems.

I tried configure --disable-gl for a test

make '-sdl_2d' did not work out, so i just typed make

Now it bails quite soon telling me

GraphicContext.cpp:359:2: warning: #warning CGraphicContext::ClipToViewWindow not implemented
GraphicContext.cpp:549:2: warning: #warning Need to implement GraphicContext::SetVideoResolution
GraphicContext.cpp: In member function ‘void CGraphicContext::SetFullScreenRoot(bool)’:
GraphicContext.cpp:1334: error: ‘glViewport’ was not declared in this scope
GraphicContext.cpp:1335: error: ‘glScissor’ was not declared in this scope
GraphicContext.cpp:1342: error: ‘glViewport’ was not declared in this scope
GraphicContext.cpp:1343: error: ‘glScissor’ was not declared in this scope

I use fedora core7 and it seems OPENGL is missing but i dont get the package name Sad

however, neither gl-info seems to exist

I dont mind if the graphics card is bad in my pc. finally i intend to run this app in the xbox with linux installed. I supposse it has apropriate hardware Smile

thanx in advance
Disable-gl has been broken for weeks now. I've never gotten it to successfully compile with that flag. Someone submitted a patch to fix it, but I assume it hasn't been committed.
Also (no edit on this forum!) I think he meant "glxinfo", not gl-info.
Quote:finally i intend to run this app in the xbox with linux installed.
The Linux port is not meant to be run in xbox's linux. Why would you when there's already XBMC that runs on the xbox natively? The intended target of the Linux port is a Linux PC with OpenGL support.

d4rk Wrote:The Linux port is not meant to be run in xbox's linux. Why would you when there's already XBMC that runs on the xbox natively? The intended target of the Linux port is a Linux PC with OpenGL support.

I would prefer the linux version of xbmc on xbox linux over the original one because:

* I trust ext2fs more than fatx
* i could run some programs parallel to xbmc (like a media server), on the same hardware
gsohler Wrote:I would prefer the linux version of xbmc on xbox linux over the original one because:

* I trust ext2fs more than fatx
* i could run some programs parallel to xbmc (like a media server), on the same hardware

Linux on xbox only supports software OpenGL, therefore it will be super slow (it will crawl because the CPU is slow). In addition, I doubt Linux on xbox has all the dependencies that linuxport needs (SDL,etc).

but it just wont work well because xbox is a directx only platform and xbmc_linux is designed around opengl and any linux on xbox that runs it will be in a directx wrapper
d4rk Wrote:Any h/w OpenGL is better than SDL 2D, so I wouldn't recommend --disable-gl unless the OpenGL drivers are downright unusable.

gsohler, the black screen you got is because you ran the executable from the source tree. Please read the README and follow the build instructions.
Oh i've totally missunderstood the req's then Smile Thought XBMC wouldn't even start without OpenGl 2.0 that's why I sugested it. So it works with lower req but slower? cool for me because a planed mini itx build of mine might not have gl 2.0

rodalpho Wrote:Also (no edit on this forum!) I think he meant "glxinfo", not gl-info.
Oh cool! both worked for me Smile gl-info and glxinfo. the first might be nvidia specific? oh well )

P.S I don't understand why you'd like to trade a stable system as XBMC for the alpha version of the linux, especially for the xbox. A pc i'd understand, on the xbox it seems useless when the native kicks ass.

Although xbmc for linux is a godsend, just need to praise it because it's just bugfixes away (in comparison) to kick linux HTPC apps ass Smile
The old XBOX has a 733mhz P3 and a sparse 64megs of RAM. It's not got a chance of playing anything terribly HD directly or via Linux. Much as I like the formfactor and ability to play XBOX games Linux on more open and powerful hardware is really the way to go.
Exclamation 
@gsohler, please, (REALLY PLEASE!), read through this article a few times => http://xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/Linux_port_project
That article describes what the "XBMC for Linux" (Linux port of XBMC) project is all about, including set limitations and boundaries.

The "XBMC for Linux" (Linux port of XBMC) will never be supported on an Xbox! ...even if there was OpenGL 3D hardware-accelerated device-drivers available for the Xbox (which there are not); a full Linux operating-system has too much overhead to run XBMC for Linux on a 733Mhz Intel Pentium III processor with only 64MB shared memory (shared memory meaning that the Xbox only has a total of 64MB memory which is shared between the graphics controller and the system).

@gsohler, other than than we really appreciate your enthusiasm about XBMC for Linux and ambition to submit patches for new features, but you/we have to be realistic about what platforms it will run on. If you like to run XBMC on your Xbox game-console then use the native Xbox version and built a separate Linux PC on which to store you media files (audio/video) and share that over the network (that storage server can be a older PC), however if you like to consolidate everything into one machine then that machine should not be the Xbox, instead go for a better more modern PC which can handle the multitasking load that you require.

Thanks for listening and understanding.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Migration to linux-xbmc0