Hardware?? Am I asking for too much??
Hi guys,

first post, so please be gentle. Angel

I am going round in circles trying to find the optimum hardware for my setup, but just as I think I have found what i want I quickly realise that an important aspect is missing. So the question is, am I asking for just too much.

I am not necessarily looking for a budget system, but equally do not want to build a high end PC.

I need to be able to play the following formats:
H.264
H.265 (4K30 4K60)
DTS-HD
DTS-MA
10bit output (is this even possible yet in Kodi?)
HDR
HDMI2.0a HDCP 2.2

I have an LG OLED 4k and I am now ending up using a combination of the built in media player with usb drive on the TV and an intel NUC for everything non UHD HDR etc...

Am I missing something, or am I the only one trying to get all this is one box?

Many thanks for any advice offered. Wink
(2017-01-04, 15:47)Captain_Morgan Wrote: Hi guys,

first post, so please be gentle. Angel

I am going round in circles trying to find the optimum hardware for my setup, but just as I think I have found what i want I quickly realise that an important aspect is missing. So the question is, am I asking for just too much.

I am not necessarily looking for a budget system, but equally do not want to build a high end PC.

I need to be able to play the following formats:
H.264
H.265 (4K30 4K60)
DTS-HD
DTS-MA
10bit output (is this even possible yet in Kodi?)
HDR
HDMI2.0a HDCP 2.2

I have an LG OLED 4k and I am now ending up using a combination of the built in media player with usb drive on the TV and an intel NUC for everything non UHD HDR etc...

Am I missing something, or am I the only one trying to get all this is one box?

Many thanks for any advice offered. Wink

I'm in pretty much the same situation. The only ones I've found that are close to what I want are the Zidoo X8/X9S and the Himedia Q5/Q10 Pro.
Both of those seem to have bugs/issues though if you read the threads here and I'm not sure about the whole wrapper directing playback to an external player setup.
10 bit and HDR could be the issues. What flavour of HDR is the question too - HDR-10, Dolby Vision or HLG?

AMLogic platforms deliver pretty much everything else. They may only be HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 may only be available on devices like the Weteks (but is a non-issue for Kodi)
First question that should be asked is where is all this HDR10 video content going to come from in the very first place. I'm not talking about dodgy re-encodes but worthy content actually encoded properly with the all the correct Metadata included.

HDR10 UHD Blurays are uncrackable, they cannot be ripped, so unless you like watching HDR10 test clips on a repeat loop, you are actually being fed Marketing BS by these Kodi media player companies that make you believe you need the latest and greatest. Its basically a Con job.

If a request was for a Netflix UHD HDR10 media player then we would have something to talk about as a OLED TV could then actually display HDR video content. Encoded properly in the first place by knowledgable Netflix engineers.

HDCP 2.2 is only needed for DRM Copy protected 2160p (4k) content from the likes of Netlifx and others. Your HDMI connected AVR needs to be HDCP 2.2 compliant as well otherwise you will get no sound and possibly no picture on the TV as well.

There are a bunch of us sitting on the fence waiting to see how all this HDR10, HLG and Dolbyvision stuff pans out. The UHD HDR Netflix users are buying nVIDIA Shield's or just using Apps baked into their TV's. TV's that can also play Dolbyvision content streamed from Netflix servers as well.

Be aware Android Apps on media players running the Android TV OS will be much easier to use than regular touchscreen Android OS devices, those touchscreen OS devices include the HiMedia's & Zidoos and all dirt cheap AMLogic Android media players. There is an important Apps usability line that need to be drawn here.

Some DIY Kodi users are avoiding Android all together and just running LibreELEC Kodi on AMLogic S905's . The AML S905X can do HDR10 and is a bargain if you want to dip your toe in HDR waters to run repeated video test clips until boredom quickly sets in. Wink

Great post wrxtasy, love the wry humour.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-01-05, 00:20)wrxtasy Wrote: Some DIY Kodi users are avoiding Android all together and just running LibreELEC Kodi on AMLogic S905's . The AML S905X can do HDR10 and is a bargain if you want to dip your toe in HDR waters to run repeated video test clips until boredom quickly sets in. Wink

I'm looking to upgrade to something with gigabit lan from my current S905 box which only has 10/100 and is having issues with some higher bitrate 4k content. Is there any downsides to the S905X compared to the S905?
Any recommendations on an S905X box for libreelec?
My reasoning on getting a box with HDR10 support now is just for futureproofing. I'd just end up buying twice otherwise when content becomes available.
I am sure he isn't buying a box for now. some people want a box that last some time.

In the state multiple cable companies like Comcast, Dishnetwork, direct TV are aping up the 4k content. Also Vudu and Amazon prime are making this content available .

UHD drives are also emerging with preloaded content. And even if he was just buying the disc . He still might want to stream it to his network.

Also UHD cameras are readily available and he might want to make his own recordings.
Might want to check this out

http://zappiti.com/zappiti_player_4k.html it includes google play

Supporting almost all video and audio formats, codecs and file containers, including all modern video standards such as HEVC / H.265, 4K, and 3D the Zappiti Player 4K sets an entirely new standard. The all new Zappiti Player 4K is equipped with an internal 3.5" SATA HDD bay with hot swap function (up to 10 TB). Besides, it is equipped with USB 3.0 port and an SD memory card slot. The Zappiti Player 4K feature powerful Wi-Fi with 2 antennas and ethernet gigabit network capability. This new player is also compatible with the new Zappiti Media Center v4 application.

A universal media center
● Zappiti MagicPixel: Zappiti MagicPixel: Forget expensive outboard video processors! The Zappiti Player 4K incorporates Zappiti™ MagicPixel technology, offers outstanding picture quality (far better than the previous generations), and improved dynamics, accuracy colorimetry, contrast, solid deinterlacing and better upscaling. Even on a Full HD 1080p TV or a front projector, the display image is astounding!
● Real Cinema : Display your movies in true 24p (23,976 Hz oupout).
● Up-Scaling 4K: Display your videos with an ultra-high quality upscaling Ultra HD 4K (3840x2160 and 4096x2160).
● Ultra HD 4K native files: Display your videos Ultra HD 4K (UHD HEVC files supported).
● Network Player: Connect your player on a local network and enjoy your content from a PC, MAC or NAS via UPnP or SMB.
● MKV Player: Playback HD and SD video in MKV containers and other modern video file formats, including top quality HD video with very high bit-rates > 120Mbp/s..
● HDD Rack Option with Hot Swap Function: Easily and quickly insert and exchange internal 3.5'' SATA HDDs (up to 10 TB pre formatted HDDs).
● USB Ports: Conveniently connect HDDs, USB flash drives, USB card readers and other USB storage devices without a USB hub.
● USB Port 3.0: Read or copy your files in high speed.
● Full Range of A/V Connectors: S/PDIF Optical Audio output, AV analogue output via an adaptor, HDMI CEC output to simplify the connection of any device.
● Multichannel home cinema audio: Dolby Digital, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD, Dolby Atmos.
● Video Output Flexibility: Output video in any resolution and format from SD to UHD and 4K.
● Many shortcuts and advanced playback features:
- Caps 1 to 9: Direct access from 10 to 90% of the file.
- Cursor left and right: 10s rewind and forward.
- Cursor down and up: Fast rewind and forward (up to x32).
● Playback memory: Resume playback from the last position.
● Long range IR remote: The Zappiti Player 4K is provided with an IR remote, with the added possibility of syncing with a universal remote.
● Air Mouse / Long range RF keyboard: Android Apps can be controlled via a RF Air Mouse. The backside of the remote feature a keyboard.
● Computer Mouse Friendly: Connect a computer mouse (air or not) to control the player and Android Apps.
● Android: Download and install Android Apps from the GooglePlay. Easy access with streaming contents providers, VOD/SVOD, catch up TV (such as KARTINA TV / КАРТИНА ТВ), musical playback, social networks, news, weather info, trailers, games, internet radio and more… Warning! Some Android apps are not supported!
● Open GUI: Add apps shortcuts to the home page.
● Wi-Fi: IEEE 802.11n with 2 antennas.
Box: Matircom G Box AMLS812
Kodi: SPMC
Skin APPTV
Connection ADSL(11MPS) , Ethernet
Game Systems : Wii, PS3
Cable Provider: WOW! (Wide Open West)
Media servers (windows 10 PC) Mediaportal, Playon, Kodi

Whilst UHD-capable cameras are indeed available (and have been for a while) - I'm not sure that proper HDR workflows exist in the consumer realm to master UHD HDR In a format that can be played back on a separate player.

I suspect being able to master UHD HDR Blu-rays is one area, but Apple and Adobe no longer support Blu-ray mastering workflows as energetically as they used to... (Adobe Encore didn't get a Creative Cloud upgrade...) Dolby Vision is likely to remain out-of-bounds for home mastering I expect.

My (informed-ish) gut feeling is that HLG might be the easiest of the three main HDR systems to work in domestically.

UHD home-mastering without HDR is obviously far less of an issue, and has been possible for a while.
(2017-01-05, 05:42)tornicade Wrote: I am sure he isn't buying a box for now. some people want a box that last some time.

That would be difficult, because then, I would buy NOW a device which has HDMI 2.1 with these posibilities: 8K60Hz and 4K120Hz for immersive viewing and smooth fast-action detail. Also you need new 48G cables to enable up to 48Gbps so you can watch 8K content....

THAT is (probably) the near future. Is it available now..... no, so don't look to much in the future and buy something which can handle today's content and codecs and etc....

For example, wait a couple weeks and buy the new NUC's from intel. Put LibreELEC (Or Windows) on it, and I don't think there is 1 movie at the moment you are not able to watch....
Great info thank you Smile I am indeed looking for something that will last a little while at least. I own a Panasonic DMP-UB900 and I also have a bunch of 70gig+ rips etc. I appreciate your comment regarding marketing BS and I sure am guilty of lapping it up because its shiny and new, which pleases the misses no end ! Confused

I didnt realise that UHD BD had not been cracked yet, but the rips I have seen that do have the HDR metadata embedded do tend to look better, however that could be just a better quality rip. I also want to stream from my NAS as moving data using a USB drive is just tedious Cool

I suppose I may look at the new Shield which has just been made available for pre-order, or wait for the next Intel NUC, however the NUC seems a bit of an overkill to use as a media player.......

anyway thanks for info

(2017-01-05, 00:20)wrxtasy Wrote: First question that should be asked is where is all this HDR10 video content going to come from in the very first place. I'm not talking about dodgy re-encodes but worthy content actually encoded properly with the all the correct Metadata included.

HDR10 UHD Blurays are uncrackable, they cannot be ripped, so unless you like watching HDR10 test clips on a repeat loop, you are actually being fed Marketing BS by these Kodi media player companies that make you believe you need the latest and greatest. Its basically a Con job.

If a request was for a Netflix UHD HDR10 media player then we would have something to talk about as a OLED TV could then actually display HDR video content. Encoded properly in the first place by knowledgable Netflix engineers.

HDCP 2.2 is only needed for DRM Copy protected 2160p (4k) content from the likes of Netlifx and others. Your HDMI connected AVR needs to be HDCP 2.2 compliant as well otherwise you will get no sound and possibly no picture on the TV as well.

There are a bunch of us sitting on the fence waiting to see how all this HDR10, HLG and Dolbyvision stuff pans out. The UHD HDR Netflix users are buying nVIDIA Shield's or just using Apps baked into their TV's. TV's that can also play Dolbyvision content streamed from Netflix servers as well.

Be aware Android Apps on media players running the Android TV OS will be much easier to use than regular touchscreen Android OS devices, those touchscreen OS devices include the HiMedia's & Zidoos and all dirt cheap AMLogic Android media players. There is an important Apps usability line that need to be drawn here.

Some DIY Kodi users are avoiding Android all together and just running LibreELEC Kodi on AMLogic S905's . The AML S905X can do HDR10 and is a bargain if you want to dip your toe in HDR waters to run repeated video test clips until boredom quickly sets in. Wink
great shout, I have not seen this box before, very interesting Smile cheers Nod

(2017-01-05, 05:42)tornicade Wrote: I am sure he isn't buying a box for now. some people want a box that last some time.

In the state multiple cable companies like Comcast, Dishnetwork, direct TV are aping up the 4k content. Also Vudu and Amazon prime are making this content available .

UHD drives are also emerging with preloaded content. And even if he was just buying the disc . He still might want to stream it to his network.

Also UHD cameras are readily available and he might want to make his own recordings.
Might want to check this out

http://zappiti.com/zappiti_player_4k.html it includes google play

Supporting almost all video and audio formats, codecs and file containers, including all modern video standards such as HEVC / H.265, 4K, and 3D the Zappiti Player 4K sets an entirely new standard. The all new Zappiti Player 4K is equipped with an internal 3.5" SATA HDD bay with hot swap function (up to 10 TB). Besides, it is equipped with USB 3.0 port and an SD memory card slot. The Zappiti Player 4K feature powerful Wi-Fi with 2 antennas and ethernet gigabit network capability. This new player is also compatible with the new Zappiti Media Center v4 application.

A universal media center
● Zappiti MagicPixel: Zappiti MagicPixel: Forget expensive outboard video processors! The Zappiti Player 4K incorporates Zappiti™ MagicPixel technology, offers outstanding picture quality (far better than the previous generations), and improved dynamics, accuracy colorimetry, contrast, solid deinterlacing and better upscaling. Even on a Full HD 1080p TV or a front projector, the display image is astounding!
● Real Cinema : Display your movies in true 24p (23,976 Hz oupout).
● Up-Scaling 4K: Display your videos with an ultra-high quality upscaling Ultra HD 4K (3840x2160 and 4096x2160).
● Ultra HD 4K native files: Display your videos Ultra HD 4K (UHD HEVC files supported).
● Network Player: Connect your player on a local network and enjoy your content from a PC, MAC or NAS via UPnP or SMB.
● MKV Player: Playback HD and SD video in MKV containers and other modern video file formats, including top quality HD video with very high bit-rates > 120Mbp/s..
● HDD Rack Option with Hot Swap Function: Easily and quickly insert and exchange internal 3.5'' SATA HDDs (up to 10 TB pre formatted HDDs).
● USB Ports: Conveniently connect HDDs, USB flash drives, USB card readers and other USB storage devices without a USB hub.
● USB Port 3.0: Read or copy your files in high speed.
● Full Range of A/V Connectors: S/PDIF Optical Audio output, AV analogue output via an adaptor, HDMI CEC output to simplify the connection of any device.
● Multichannel home cinema audio: Dolby Digital, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD, Dolby Atmos.
● Video Output Flexibility: Output video in any resolution and format from SD to UHD and 4K.
● Many shortcuts and advanced playback features:
- Caps 1 to 9: Direct access from 10 to 90% of the file.
- Cursor left and right: 10s rewind and forward.
- Cursor down and up: Fast rewind and forward (up to x32).
● Playback memory: Resume playback from the last position.
● Long range IR remote: The Zappiti Player 4K is provided with an IR remote, with the added possibility of syncing with a universal remote.
● Air Mouse / Long range RF keyboard: Android Apps can be controlled via a RF Air Mouse. The backside of the remote feature a keyboard.
● Computer Mouse Friendly: Connect a computer mouse (air or not) to control the player and Android Apps.
● Android: Download and install Android Apps from the GooglePlay. Easy access with streaming contents providers, VOD/SVOD, catch up TV (such as KARTINA TV / КАРТИНА ТВ), musical playback, social networks, news, weather info, trailers, games, internet radio and more… Warning! Some Android apps are not supported!
● Open GUI: Add apps shortcuts to the home page.
● Wi-Fi: IEEE 802.11n with 2 antennas.
Just get an Intel Apollo lake system and it will do all of the above and they are cheap enough that a couple years down the road you just buy a new system.
Don't forget about vp9 profile 2 for hdr YouTube. Probably the biggest hdr content provider currently and unsupported on all devices at this time..
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
(2017-01-05, 16:32)raidflex Wrote: Just get an Intel Apollo lake system and it will do all of the above and they are cheap enough that a couple years down the road you just buy a new system.

I thought only the new Kaby Lake systems were capable of HDCP 2.2/4K?
I have one of the Asrock Apollo Lake boards and it plays 4k 10-bit content easily and it was only $100. I already had the memory, case and SSD so i just bought the board.
But there should be SSF barebones available also.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware?? Am I asking for too much??0