"Could not connect to network server" error when launching any plugin
copied plugins to directories and added as music and video sources in XBMC. XBMC recognizes sources and makes them available for browsing and selection however when I select a plugin (any plugin) it appears as though the plugin attempts to launch but then I receive an error message stating "Could not connect to network server".

My console has network connectivity for it's getting the correct RSS info, weather info and it can also browse my PC. It's network settings have not been changed. XBMC is getting it's network info via DHCP. The networking issue appears to be isolated to just the plugins.

Any ideas what's causing this problem and what would be the solution?

Also, which XBMC directories and files are specific to XBMC's networking capabilities? I'd like to recopy them to my XBMC directory?

Any assistance you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cables
read the plugin tutorial sticky, it has a link to a good tutorial.
For python coding questions first see http://mirrors.xbmc.org/docs/python-docs/
99% likely that you browsed to the plugin file rather than choosing the plugin source.

Why did you do this, and exactly HOW did you do this. I'm wanting to remove the ability to do so, and thus need to know exactly what you went through, and more importantly, why you thought that was the way things were done.

Thanks,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I'll describe as best as I can remember.
1. I downloaded the "plugins2.rar" file from the site to my PC
2. I unrared the file to a directory on my PC
3. I booted my console to Xenium OS
4. Using the Xenium OS SMB server I copied the unrarred directory from my PC to the console E:\apps\xbmc\plugins directory
5. I launched my console dashboard then XBMC as an app from my dashboard
6. In XBMC I selected "Video" - "Add Source"
7. In the XBMC Add Video Source window I selected "browse" - "Video Plugins"
8 I selected the plugin of choice, hit "OK" and then "OK" again in the XBMC Add Video Source window
9. The plugin will then be available as a video source however when I select it I get an error message stating "Could not connect to network server"

Cables
These steps are the crucial ones:

7. In the XBMC Add Video Source window I selected "browse" - "Video Plugins"
8 I selected the plugin of choice, hit "OK" and then "OK" again in the XBMC Add Video Source window

Did you really select "Video Plugins", or did you instead browse to
"E:\Apps\XBMC\plugins\Video" ?

Also: A debug log when this happens will tell you (and us) exactly what is going on.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Yes. I really did select "Video Plugins". The issue has now escalated to something more critical. Now I'm unable to load XBMC at all, even if I delete the entire directory and recopy it to the E:\Apps\ directory. When I attempt to launch XBMC from my dashboard I see the initial logo however XBMC does not load immediately after as before. I've tried deleting the XBMC directory and recopying the data.
I believe I've resolved my issue and identified the source of the issue. I believe the problem I was experiencing was being caused by an incomplete copy of the XBMC files to my console applications directory. I resolved the issue by transferring the files to the console from a different host. Additionally I had to reboot the console once during the transfer for the dashboard FTP server became unresponsive.

Since then I've been able to successfully load XBMC. Based on that success I copied the latest plugins to the console via the same alternate host. Thus far I've been able to successfully launch the plugins of interest to me. There have been a couple that have lead to empty directories however I'm guessing the links are probably just broken.
I am experiencing this issue on xbmc linux!!

Anyone have any ideas?
cables, a lot of those plugins are outdated.

Either check the plugins available in my sig or check the xbmc addons SVN.
I am using updated plugins that other people are reporting as working. I am also using yesterdays build of xbmc.

I cleared out all folders that xbmc writes to then reinstalled from the ubuntu PPA and I am still getting the same "could not connect to network server"

The rss feed works and I can scan form films and cd covers fine!!

Anyone else having or had this issue?
Details of the problem is as follows:

1. XBMC Linux on Ubuntu 8.04
2. Architecture i686
3. Install Method PPA
4. SVN Revision 14024
5. Issue description = All Plugins fail to load
6. FULL Debug Log http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/26945/

Thanks for any help.

Dubstar_04
Your xbmc build is damaged.

"No module named urllib" - from log.

You are missing python modules required for the plugins to run.

The urllib is used to scrape the content and set up the mode for the directory addition.
Without it it`s dead.

sorry.
is this a problem with the PPA's? Or is it a problem with linux in general?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Could not connect to network server" error when launching any plugin0