How well do I need to know Linux?
I am in the planning stages of building an HTPC. I've decided to go with a Ubuntu and XBMC for my front end.

Since the start I have been a windows user, and don't really know anything about Linux.

I have gotten a couple of books to start reading up...Linux for Dummies and Beginning Ubuntu Linux.

My question is, how much of a Linux guru do I need to become to be able to effectively install, setup, and run XBMC?

I noticed in some of the compile threads, it lists out shell commands, which mean absolutely nothing to me right now, and seem a bit complex. Are they really, or is that just my being unfamiliar with linux?
Depends on your luck. I DID have to play a lot with things, and it's still not as simple as it should be. If you're lucky, a quick learner, and relatively intelligent it is DEFINATELY worth it.

I have an AOpen MiniPC 965-DR working fine with it. I will be making a Wiki page somewhere with this information (mods, can this go on the XBMC WIki somewhere?).

Anways, I'd give it a go, but set yourself a timelimit on it, 16 hours should do the trick!
gunja2k3 Wrote:I will be making a Wiki page somewhere with this information (mods, can this go on the XBMC WIki somewhere?).
Sure, you could post a "HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 7.10 step-by-step guide" if you like. PM pike for Ninja status for the wiki after you created an account there to get write access.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How well do I need to know Linux?0