folder.jpg Supercedes All
The problem that I have is pretty basic.

I have my movies divided into genres.

\\Movies\Action
\\Movies\Drama
\\Movies\Westerns

The problem is that if I click "Info" on a main genre folder, XBMC will take the first movie in that category, look it up with the IMDB scraper and then change the info and icon of the FOLDER to be that of the first file within the folder.

This is perfect, of course, for TV shows where I WANT the show description but does bad things to my movie folders. There is no option for resetting the folder information. (Though it is possible to reset the thumbnail)

I'd like to make 2 suggestions.

1.) Make it possible to set some folders as a special class that isn't included in scraper lookups. (I know that the code is probably identical right now, but if something could be included in the new "Settings" button under the scraper chooser, that would be perfect.)

It might even be possible to add some code to look for a default.nfo (or folder.nfo) file in a folder or something and apply it to the root folder. This would allow us to set names, descriptions and thumbnails.

2. Make some icons semi-permanent. If XBMC sees a foo.tbn in a folder, especially on an Xbox or defined in the sources.xml file, it shouldn't change the thumbnail, at least not without a couple of confirmation boxes and it should be easy to reset back!

The priority for deciding on thumbnails should be something like:

Sources.xml
folder.nfo
Thumb on actual Xbox
Thumb on Network share
Downloaded thumbnail from scraper.
The problem is clear: You are requesting movie information on something that is clearly NOT a movie.

I don't see why anything needs to be done here.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

So... Ease of use has nothing to do with programming? I know I can't be the only one with this problem.
it's not our job to hinder your stupidities.
My only suggestion is that in the case where there is more than one movie in a folder (we know this as we grab the first one) we prompt the user with "This is a silly thing to do - are you sure - perhaps you want to scan the contents of this folder into the library instead?"
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

You guys are probably right. It appears (Since no one else is answering) that it's something that a small minority are having problems with. I'll save it for further down the road when the more important things have been taken care of.

Thanks for the responses.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
folder.jpg Supercedes All0