Help with setting up and running Elan's Precompiled XBMC
So I downloaded the precompiled binary and I thought I followed the suggestions correctly but I am getting the silly:

"The XBMC_HOME environment variable is not set.
Bus error"

I have the XBMC directory at ~/Desktop/XBMC

so in the system/profiles.xml I edited it:

<profiles>
<lastloaded>0</lastloaded>
<useloginscreen>false</useloginscreen>
<profile>
<name>Master user</name>
<directory>~/Desktop/XBMC//UserData</directory>
<thumbnail></thumbnail>
<lastdate></lastdate>
<useavpacksettings>false</useavpacksettings>
</profile>
</profiles>

And then in my ~/.profile I added a line for XBMC_HOME

XBMC_HOME=~/Desktop/XBMC

And I still XBMC crashes at what appears it trying to get the home directory:

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0

Thread 0 Crashed:
0 XBMC 0x00497a81 CUtil::GetHomePath(CStdStr<char>&) + 155

I am stumped (and I should try running experimental code late at night Wink
Mate i'm new to mac's only having owned mine for the past few weeks so my advice may not be 100% correct but this is all i did to get this build working.

First task was installing macports and all the required libs.

I then edited the .profile file in my home directory...the following line is all that i added.

export XBMC_HOME=/Users/Leigh/Desktop/XBMC

maybe the missing export is your issue, does it show when you type env in a terminal window?

After this i was able to run OSXBMC....
Mac newbie Warning

I downloaded xbmc from http://dn-0.com/xbmc-trac "XBMC-0.0.4.gz" and unpacked it(with a apps called The Unarchiver).
Now I have this file "XBMC-0.0.4" in my download folder
I downloaded and installd Macports in this location mac -> opt

My question is now how can I install libs into Macport
Where in terminal should I be when writing "$ sudo port install libcdio"

maby someone can write a guide howto install this Smile or link me to one that a Mac newbie can understand.

thx
Maybe this can help a bit?

XbmcBuildInstructions
thx I will try that Big Grin
i´ve done 1-4 http://dn-0.com/xbmc-trac/wiki/XbmcBuildInstructions

But this I can´t find.

"Finally, set an environment variable XBMC_HOME to point at your source directory."

Is this setting in Xcode
when I hit build I get 2errors
like this

error: GL/glew.h: No such file or directory
Mate i was new to all this also...just stick with it you should figure it out soon enough...

with the setting of the home directory see my post above.

you need to edit (create if its not there) the .profile file in your home directory...the following line is all that i added. (you need to point it to you XBMC directory)

export XBMC_HOME=/Users/Leigh/Desktop/XBMC

once you get the XBMC_home set you should be good to go if you have all the required macports installed. If you are missing any you will be able to figure out what ones from the errors you get when you try and run XBMC.

you won't need to touch xcode if you have downloaded the pre compiled 0.0.4 version.
gurkburk Wrote:Maybe this can help a bit?

XbmcBuildInstructions

I'm following this but I keep getting an unable to fetch libsdl error.

Seems it's not in that repository anymore ??
If it helps the below are the macports ports that i have installed.
With these installed and the XBMC_Home set correctly i am able to run OSXBMC....

The following ports are currently installed:
expat @2.0.1_0 (active)
freetype @2.3.5_1 (active)
fribidi @0.10.7_0 (active)
gawk @3.1.6_0 (active)
gettext @0.17_3 (active)
glew @1.4.0_0 (active)
libcddb @1.1.0_0 (active)
libcdio @0.75_0 (active)
libiconv @1.12_0 (active)
lzo @1.08_0 (active)
lzo2 @2.02_2+darwin_9 (active)
ncurses @5.6_0 (active)
ncursesw @5.6_1 (active)
pkgconfig @0.22_0 (active)
readline @5.2.007_0+darwin_9 (active)
sqlite3 @3.5.4_0 (active)
zlib @1.2.3_1 (active)
CosyCat Wrote:when I hit build I get 2errors
like this

error: GL/glew.h: No such file or directory

I too am getting this error, did you find what was causing it?

Also, I was able to set an environmental variable in the executables tab in xcode by double clicking on XBMC under executables and going to arguments. Is this where it's supposed to be done?

Thanks for the help.
Is there any way to get a quick instruction rundown on how you guys installed the binary? I've tried to work with it, and nothing will open it. I know i'm doing the wrong thing and need a direction to go in.

Also, with the lib files that need to be installed, how do I go about putting them in, teminal?

Any help that you can give would be greatly appreciated.
lavaweb Wrote:Is there any way to get a quick instruction rundown on how you guys installed the binary? I've tried to work with it, and nothing will open it. I know i'm doing the wrong thing and need a direction to go in.

Also, with the lib files that need to be installed, how do I go about putting them in, teminal?

Any help that you can give would be greatly appreciated.

I'm having a similar problem.

I've downloaded and installed the complete package. I've also installed the required libraries using MacPorts. After setting the XBMC_HOME environment I was able to run XBMC just fine.Nod

My problem has to do the XBMC binary updates. When I download them, the .GZ file is automatically extracted, and I end up with a XBMC-0.0.x file. This file appears to be a plain text document file, not an Unix executable. No

Is there something that needs to be done to this file before it can be usedHuh?

Thanks.
Dudeman Wrote:I'm having a similar problem.

I've downloaded and installed the complete package. I've also installed the required libraries using MacPorts. After setting the XBMC_HOME environment I was able to run XBMC just fine.Nod

Thanks.

What do you mean installed the complete package? Which files are you talking about? Also, may I ask how you installed the libraries using MacPorts? I can't seem to get it to work. And lastly, as far the the XMBC_HOME, i read you need to do that in a profile file, but i can't find where that file it. I'm sorry for the newbie questions, I know what I'm doing on osx, just stepping into a new field here.

Thanks for your help.
lavaweb Wrote:What do you mean installed the complete package? Which files are you talking about? Also, may I ask how you installed the libraries using MacPorts? I can't seem to get it to work. And lastly, as far the the XBMC_HOME, i read you need to do that in a profile file, but i can't find where that file it. I'm sorry for the newbie questions, I know what I'm doing on osx, just stepping into a new field here.

Thanks for your help.

OK,

Here is a step by step:

1. Go to the page below & bookmark it.. It has all the releases to date.

http://dn-0.com/xbmc-trac

2. First download the original complete package: OSXBMC-0.01.tar.gz, and install it.

3. Next you'll need to install the required libraries. You will be using MacPorts to do this, but you'll need to install XCode tools first. XCode tools contains the tools needed by MacPorts to install the libraries.

You can either download XCode Tools from Apple, or simply place your OS X Install DVD in the drive and install it from the "Optional Installs" folder.

4. After you installed XCode Tools, you'll have to install MacPorts.
Go to http://www.macports.org/install.php and download the appropriate .DMG for your OS X version (in my cases I needed the Leopard version). Install it.

5. Next we install the libraries. Open up a Terminal window and type the following:
  • export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH -- This sets up the working path for MacPorts
  • sudo port install libcdio
  • sudo port install freetype
  • sudo port install fribidi
  • sudo port install GLEW
  • sudo port install libiconv
  • sudo port install lzo
  • sudo port install sqlite2
  • sudo port install sqlite3
  • sudo port install zlib

Install each package one at a time. Each one will install automatically along with their dependencies. When the last oneis done, you can now close the terminal window.

6. Next we set up the Environment variable XBMC_HOME. to do this go to your home directory /Users/Your_name/. You may or may not have a .profile file there. If you don't create a text file called .profile which contains the following text: export XBMC_HOME=/XBMC path. Replace XBMC path with you actual path to the XBMC folder. In my case it looks like this: export XBMC_HOME=/Applications/XBMC/Applications/XBMC.

NOTE: When you create the .profile file, TextEdit will append a .txt extension. click on the file, get info and rename it to remove the .txt extension. You'll get a warning telling you that .profile extensions are reserved for the OS. Just click through it.

7. Reboot the machine to get the new profile loaded.

8. Go to your XBMC forder and double click XBMC. It should start just fine.

If you get any errors, you either did not install a required library, or the ENV variable is not set.

9. This is the step where someone else tells us how to install the binary updates.

Hope this helps.Wink
Dudeman.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help with setting up and running Elan's Precompiled XBMC0