[PATCH] Hack for calling external video player (like MPlayer) in XBMC for Linux
Hi,

not sure if this is the right sub-forum for posting this:

Say, for example, I have an "alternative" player module which works, when I replace the original "case EPC_DVDPLAYER: return new CDVDPlayer(callback);" with my player in method "CPlayerCoreFactory::CreatePlayer()".

Any suggestions or links for me how to add this in a little more stable way? For instance, by making an 'extension mapping' inside "CPlayerCoreFactory::GetPlayers()" etc. etc. etc or any other "more official" mechanism? Config file?

PS: Of course not an official feature, but perhaps there are some thoughts how to do this generally - if this is not okay, feel free to delete this post.
Can I ask why you wonder this?
Are you gonna attemot to make mplayer or VLC work ?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

no, no - not in the sense xbmc 'philosophy' really needs this (by rendering decoded and processed video into xbmc-provided render 'surface' for proper overlay and stuff etc. etc. etc. - discussed elsewhere)

At the moment, it's just starting an 'external' application and pushing the file name (and some events) to this. In my case, I'm starting an external app 'in full screen' mode onto of xbmx gui - and this is okay for mine personal usage.

I was just asking for some hints by you guys how to minimize the "hack" by using some official ideas how to instantiate a different player class.

But note again, that this is nothing official and should not disturb excellent xbmx official developent in any way.
you add it to the enum.
you add it to the getplayers() function.
you add it (the enum value) to the player core factory. off you go
Sure, but I was asking if there's any mechanic which can select internal dvdplayer and other player, for exmaple, by extension or other mapping system and where would be a good way to configure this.
that's what getplayers() is about. it's far from the perfect solution and it isnt configurable atm - patch welcome.

the players pushed to the vector in getplayers() will show up in play using.. in the context menu (with the first one being the default if user just does play)
ah - fine. That's all I need. Thanks.
may i propose you make your patch available @ sf when done for others who might want this "evil" behaviour
sure, I will post this here asap.
Will you also post it at the team's sourceforge project?

Thanks.
Initial 'experiment' is here:

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/4028
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php...tid=581840

Works okay in my setup and for my purposes, but not sure what others expect.Nod
Amode, Thanks for spending the time to hack something for others who want to try alternatives.

I tested this last night and it seemed to work as advertised "hacked" Mplayer launched, played my local video files, smb shares and my old xbox buttons seemed to work for basic stuff, pause, ff, rw, stop.

Thanks for taking your time to try something which is optional
-------------
I Bare It All -Personal Blog
and let me just point out just how evil, resistent and in general hostile us devs were when somebody actually wanted to do the work...

no wonder santa won't join us!!!111
spiff Wrote:and let me just point out just how evil, resistent and in general hostile us devs were when somebody actually wanted to do the work...

no wonder santa won't join us!!!111

not sure I follow?
-------------
I Bare It All -Personal Blog
just pointing out how big an ass you make of yourself when you go around claiming stuff like us opposing "alternative" development

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[PATCH] Hack for calling external video player (like MPlayer) in XBMC for Linux0