[PATCH] Hack for calling external video player (like MPlayer) in XBMC for Linux
naa, I think quite the opposite, here you have a situation where a developer wanted to try something and received some huge backlash from the various team developers, one post points to a link on the wiki called vapour ware, and while I realize the team has heard a lot of talk from people but no action which causes frustration the backlash to new people on the forum asking questions or wanting to do something is super frustrating for people. I realize your tag is grumpy developer which totally matches.

As far as santa claus a hack/patch was added, someone actually spend time to do this and people still bitch and moan. All of this is so counter productive.

If I was a developer and read though the various form posts and seen how people are treated/flamed and such I would be turned off. The same issue happened when someone asked about getting a port to an alternative platform a lot of bitching moaning from the team but look low and behold we have a port to the linux, so all the bitching was for nothing. I think if you posted a poll as to the mood of the linux form or developers you would be pretty damn surprised as to what people would say. Of course I'm only one voice but I have been on the net long enough to deal with flame wars, issues, forum fights etc that it just bounces off of me, you have to have a bit of a thick skin.

anyhow enough of that. I think its great a text, hack or someone tried to do a patch to play an alternative player, whether its used or not doesn't hurt anyone but nobody should be bitching when someone spends a lot of time trying to do something different.
-------------
I Bare It All -Personal Blog
I don't see any reference to vapourware, or any flaming of the developer in this thread.

What I do see is spiff detailing exactly how one would implement the feature that the original poster wished to do, followed by a bit more assistance, and then a request to make the patch public on our tracker. There is no detectable discouragement - quite the opposite from what I can see.

You (and spiff) must be referring to another thread.

Never has a developer been flamed or rejected to my knowledge. Any and all contributions are always welcomed, and we provide assistance (even the grumpy bastard devs Wink where possible, as seen in this thread.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:I don't see any reference to vapourware, or any flaming of the developer in this thread.

What I do see is spiff detailing exactly how one would implement the feature that the original poster wished to do, followed by a bit more assistance, and then a request to make the patch public on our tracker. There is no detectable discouragement - quite the opposite from what I can see.

You (and spiff) must be referring to another thread.

Never has a developer been flamed or rejected to my knowledge. Any and all contributions are always welcomed, and we provide assistance (even the grumpy bastard devs Wink where possible, as seen in this thread.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Johathan, yea was some prior threads that started in the linux user area, then moved to the mplayer thread etc.. anyhow just *seems* like alot of the posts I read a lot of frustration at times from both the developers end and users end.

anyhow this is prob not the area to talk about it, I'm glade Amode took the dive on this , i tested it and it works as promised, and I could see advancements in the future if this where the case of him wanting to do this.

Whether the team likes it or will incorporate it into a build is another question.
-------------
have i in any way bitched here about anything? this whole thing started with you coming to OUR home stating that we are narrow minded and hostile because we don't agree with YOUR views. we had already stated our point of view on things plus given the technical reasons why those views are as they are and you just couldn't accept that, could you. i was even polite and explained why we (atleast i, but i believe i speak for many who actually develop open source applications) tend to get irritated at end users without any shouting at all.

i have
1) offered answers to all questions asked regarding implementing a feature i have clearly stated i oppose.
2) asked the author to make the patch available for others that might want it - officially "hosted" on our patch tracker.

we NEVER bitched about a (linux/win32/mac) port. we said that WE ARE NOT GOING TO DO IT! BIG EFFING DIFFERENCE. and guess what, people like you couldn't accept our decisions, now could you. oh no, you started yelling at us for being close minded and whatnot. but behold! as soon as somebody popped up offering to actually DO SOMETHING, we immediately made them part of our team - as a side note you can see from svn yourself who made the linuxport branch initially!

personally i dont give a rats ass about what noncontributing end users like you want. we don't do this for you, you benefiting is just a side effect. at times we get good suggestions that we see personal benefit from and implement them. but you are not in any position to be making demands. you're a leech on our ass, and as you well know leeches are not in control.
this does not mean that we are unwilling to consider features we have no benefit from ourself, but then YOU have to implement them and hand them to us, not try to harass us into doing it for you. you don't seem to grasp this.

try to look at this from my/our point of view. i have probably put in what i would estimate to be around close to 1500 working hours on this project over the last three years (and others like jmarshall has probably put in even more). all of this comes out of our own time and we haven't earned a single cent from any of this! why should we keep taking crap from whining users who do not even offer us the simple decency of following the simple rules we have set? who won't take the time to read the manual or search the forums because it might cost them minutes and instead expects us to put in those minutes to explain them what is explained perfectly fine in the wiki for the n'th time? why should we tolerate people calling us lazy (see the latest t3ch thread on xbox-scene) just because we made a design decision? as a personal example; i have been accused of being protective of the video library (which I, me, one individual, implemented while thousands shouted for it for close to 3 years!) just because i have my own views on things and refuse to implement things i don't have any need for or outright am opposed to. personally i think i would have a right to be protective, but i have never been! in the whole time i was active i received a whopping two patches for it and i applied both. how do you think that looks from my point of view? let me tell you. i wished i kept the entire library for my own personal benefit and never released a single line of code to the public - that's what it makes me feel like! unfortunately that's not an option any longer.
(and for the record, i have had tons of help from c-quel, donj and jezz and i'm not claiming their work as mine just so that is clear, i'm just trying to make a point here!)

as for me being grumpy, yes, i am grumpy at times. but most of the time i'm just being blunt.
because i don't care what you might think of me. and things have to be said. many are thinking what i'm typing, they just let false politeness get in the way.

i suggest you get a reality check and stop writing silly things like 'this über1337 developer wanted to join but then he didnt want to' because it is stupidly transparent that it was an blatant lie. any real developer wouldn't let such things get in the way. they would know that code speaks for itself. you, on the other hand, just speak crap.
spiff Wrote:as for me being grumpy, yes, i am grumpy at times. but most of the time i'm just being blunt.
because i don't care what you might think of me. and things have to be said. many are thinking what i'm typing, they just let false politeness get in the way.

i suggest you get a reality check and stop writing silly things like 'this über1337 developer wanted to join but then he didnt want to' because it is stupidly transparent that it was an blatant lie. any real developer wouldn't let such things get in the way. they would know that code speaks for itself. you, on the other hand, just speak crap.

Well you know I can't just not comment on this, while you may of done alot of the coding alot of people prior to you started this project, ie maybe not the linux port, It comes across in some of your posts and replies, and maybe not just you but other people on the team how things are taken by the end user.

I have spent alot of time working on the user end of xbmx linux, setting it up, writing my experiences with it, trying to help others that cant get their system working or digital audio out. While im not a c++ programmer I have developed many web related projects and also work with a large group of programmers on a daily basis.

I think what this boils down to is just the fact that their are times when things are prob said for the nth time people get pissy, which is understandable, apparently we have strong personalities and like to speak our minds.

from no on, i'll tred lightly.. how ever this uber developer , which I never called him that, and can't go into details why hes a great programmer was pretty turned off at first, hence that thread has been deleted or partially deleted. Anyhow this is all pointless, a patch was submitted, I have been working with him to see what sort of options are available or how we can make this better, while dvdplayer is work in progress and alot of filtering and postprocessing is to come online, some people looking for solutions now might want to consider the mplayer hack.

anyhow we are going around in circles, while we dont see eye to eye thats fine, but you should completely understand that I have worked alot on the user end of things, figuring out whats working, broken, how to set up audio, submitting info about build.sh and 7.10 broken etc. so while I cant code like you i try to do my part.
-------------
Hello,

Is it possible to configure XBMC run external player for video files with MPG extension for example?

I'm asking because until now I had MythTV with analogue TV tuner as back-end (for recording TV shows) and XBMC for xbox as front-end (myth://URL) and it's working well. Now I replaced TV tuner with Nova-T PCI and DVB-T recordings are formated as 420p (video:H264; audio:MP2). Unfortunately it's little bit too much for xbmc 733Mhz CPU and there are some problems with PAFF and skeeking in TS stream. So I replaced xbox with PC & linux port of XBMC (SVN:15613) and still have PAFF and seeking problems. Looking for solution for my TS playback problems, I found this mplayer build (http://smplayer.berlios.de/forums/viewtopic.php?id=741), which can seek TS stream and can handle PAFF better (no artifacts).

Now I try to figure out, is it possible configure XBMC for linux as front-end for MyhtTV and run external player (mplayer for me) when recording is selected for playing.

Of course it's much easier, if XBMC can handle that TS stream directly, as mplayer do it with help of ffmpeg (ffh264 codec), but it's much harder to try replace ffmpeg in XBMC SVN for me, than try with external player.

BR,
Ajut
there is a diff sitting on our trac to enable you to utilize external players.
note that this will very likely never be officially supported
There is a plugin "Launcher" that is supposed allow you to lauch external apps from xbmc. Might give that a search. (Have fun with that completely unambiguous name Smile)
The above mentioned unofficial patch (http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/4028) don't fit to rev:15682 Sad

Code:
allan@htpc:~/install$ cd XBMC/
allan@htpc:~/install/XBMC$ svn up
At revision 15682.
allan@htpc:~/install/XBMC$ patch -p0 < /tmp/ext_player.patch
(Stripping trailing CRs from patch.)
patching file Makefile.in
Hunk #1 FAILED at 1.
Hunk #2 FAILED at 7.
Hunk #3 FAILED at 69.
3 out of 3 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file Makefile.in.rej
patching file Makefile.include.in
Hunk #1 FAILED at 7.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file Makefile.include.in.rej
patching file xbmc/cores/extplayer/ExtVideoPlayer.cpp
patching file xbmc/cores/extplayer/ExtVideoPlayer.h
patching file xbmc/cores/extplayer/readme.txt
patching file xbmc/cores/extplayer/Makefile
patching file xbmc/cores/extplayer/ExtVideoPlayer.cpp
patching file xbmc/cores/extplayer/ExtVideoPlayer.h
patching file xbmc/cores/extplayer/Makefile
patching file xbmc/cores/extplayer/readme.txt
patching file xbmc/cores/PlayerCoreFactory.cpp
Hunk #1 FAILED at 2.
Hunk #2 FAILED at 43.
Hunk #3 succeeded at 70 with fuzz 2 (offset 16 lines).
Hunk #4 succeeded at 87 with fuzz 2 (offset 13 lines).
Hunk #5 succeeded at 99 with fuzz 2 (offset 10 lines).
Hunk #6 succeeded at 110 with fuzz 2 (offset 7 lines).
Hunk #7 succeeded at 218 (offset -10 lines).
2 out of 7 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file xbmc/cores/PlayerCoreFactory.cpp.rej
patching file xbmc/cores/PlayerCoreFactory.h

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[PATCH] Hack for calling external video player (like MPlayer) in XBMC for Linux0