"original stream's language" not working
Hi, I have loads of french movies that I watch in French. But somehow "original stream's language" is not working. It still outputs German or any other languages that are also on the disc.

I was excited to see this feature, but can't make use of it.

Please help!

oh: I use Windows 10 and Kodi 17.
I have never figured out what "original" is supposed to do.

scott s.
is there any other definition that would make sense? I mean if the movie is French it's supposed to output French. Is that not the idea behind "original stream's language"?
You would think a French movie default would be 'French' but if purchased in Germany, then maybe not. The default language and order/elimination of languages can be manipulated with MKVmerge (wiki), remuxing takes mere minutes. MKVToolNix (wiki)
(2017-03-07, 19:37)PatK Wrote: You would think a French movie default would be 'French' but if purchased in Germany, then maybe not. The default language and order/elimination of languages can be manipulated with MKVmerge (wiki), remuxing takes mere minutes. MKVToolNix (wiki)

Yes I have played around with the mkv header language setting for the video stream, audio streams, and also the default flag for the audio streams and still don't see that "original stream's" does anything. But I haven't changed the audio stream index/order, if that's what meant by "original stream's"?

Update:

OK from that idea it does seem like "original stream's" means "first stream's (as ordered in the media file)" from some testing.

scott s.
I have only untouched disks and rips. I would never start messing around with that.

Is there really no way to output movies in their original language?

I really don't want to believe that.
Well, of course in the video menu (OSD) you can select any language track you want, as you would from a DVD or BD menu. You could also try the "prefer default audio stream" setting. That assumes the native language has been set as the default in the rip. AFAIK, on a DVD the first audio stream in a title's PGC is played by default, other streams selected via the disc's language menu. I'm assuming ripping software marks the first audio stream as the default (at least in mp4 or mkv container). Check out your rips with mediainfo and see what it shows.

scott s.
it's NOT working, hence the post ....
Please provide the MediaInfo output for one of the files.
(2017-03-07, 20:54)scott967 Wrote:
(2017-03-07, 19:37)PatK Wrote: You would think a French movie default would be 'French' but if purchased in Germany, then maybe not. The default language and order/elimination of languages can be manipulated with MKVmerge (wiki), remuxing takes mere minutes. MKVToolNix (wiki)

Yes I have played around with the mkv header language setting for the video stream, audio streams, and also the default flag for the audio streams and still don't see that "original stream's" does anything. But I haven't changed the audio stream index/order, if that's what meant by "original stream's"?

Update:

OK from that idea it does seem like "original stream's" means "first stream's (as ordered in the media file)" from some testing.

scott s.

I'm no expert in this area, but it's my belief with "original stream language" selected is that it will simply pick the highest quality audio track (in terms of number of channels and codec type) since that is normally the primary audio track.
yeah but most movies offer the exact same audio quality for multiple languages.

Like DTS-HD MA German
and DTS-HD MA French

It would be best if there'd be a way to prefer "native language" as well.
(2017-03-08, 20:32)3000 Wrote: yeah but most movies offer the exact same audio quality for multiple languages.

Like DTS-HD MA German
and DTS-HD MA French

And how kodi knows what is the "native language" of the movie you want to watch?
Moanbag is in da place!
If French is your native language then isn't the UI set to French, in which case set to match UI language, or when you rip make sure French is set as Default language and set prefer default.
(2017-03-08, 20:42)Gracus Wrote:
(2017-03-08, 20:32)3000 Wrote: yeah but most movies offer the exact same audio quality for multiple languages.

Like DTS-HD MA German
and DTS-HD MA French

And how kodi knows what is the "native language" of the movie you want to watch?

I don't think DVD has any flag for language of a video title (don't know about BRD). MKV does provide a language tag for video streams, but I haven't seen one used in MP4. Don't know about other container formats. Probably best practice is to use the "Default" tag on the desired audio stream when ripping if you rip to a container rather than iso or folder.

scott s.
can the movie title serve as an indication to determine the native language?

I wonder if this is possible to implement.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"original stream's language" not working0