• 2(current)
Solved Kodi 17.x Installation problem with KB2670838 Win7 x64
Ok so here's my work-around, doesn't seem to be the same problem as OP [EDIT: for me, might not be ubiquitous, let us know]

Of course I never use it... but something in the install has the fix.
spotted it here https://steamcommunity.com/app/45720/dis...919543340/

direct link to the browser download

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help...-installer
Please try again with http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/win32...etupKB.exe. The requested update must be installed.
I already have Internet Explorer 11 installed. If installing it is a fix for anything, it is not a fix that enables the installation of Kodi 17.1 on my system.
(2017-03-22, 19:34)nogginthenog Wrote: I already have Internet Explorer 11 installed. If installing it is a fix for anything, it is not a fix that enables the installation of Kodi 17.1 on my system.

I meant not install Internet Explorer 11 before, but install KB2670838.
Is it working with the new test build?
(2017-03-22, 19:14)Rechi Wrote: Please try again with http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/win32...etupKB.exe. The requested update must be installed.

Sorry Rechi, same error prompted
(2017-03-22, 19:41)Rechi Wrote: I meant not install Internet Explorer 11 before, but install KB2670838.
Is it working with the new test build?

This discussion is getting confusing.

More than one person has said the problem is that KB2670838 is not installed. But as I said at the start, I have had KB2670838 installed for years. Attempting to install that patch again therefore fails.

The real issue would seem to be that the new Kodi 17.1 installer runs a check to see whether that patch is installed and receives a false answer from whatever MS system call it makes. Windows tells the Kodi installer that the patch is not installed when in fact it is. The Kodi installer will therefore not proceed. But one cannot fix the problem by installing KB2670838, since it is already installed. Catch-22.

As for 'the new test build', are you referring to http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/win32...etupKB.exe ? If so, I have already run it and posted my results: see #9 above.

If you are asking whether, after running http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/win32...etupKB.exe , I am now able to install Kodi 17.1, the answer is no. Running the 17.1 installer still gives the errors reported in #1 and #2 above, even though KB2670838 is already installed.
I had the same issue.

My hardware info is below:

HP Pavilion dv6-2170ee Entertainment Notebook PC
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i7 720QM @ 1.60GHz
4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 664MHz
NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M (HP)
IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

Windows up to date
Running Eset smart security 10.0.390.0

I have the same problem:
Dell Latitude E7440 with I5, Intel Graphics and Win7 Prof. 64 bit.

I have Kodi 17.0 RC3 installed and tried to update to 17.1 but same error message that KB2670838 is not installed.
If I try to install "Windows6.1-KB2670838-x64.msu" it says that already installed....since its installed long time ago.
If I try to install "Windows6.1-KB2670838-x86.msu" it says that not for my system ... because I have 64bit and not 32bit.

So, the installer is broken. Would be nice to fix.

Rgds
I have a fix.

First of all, the recently revised installer code that is failing can be found at the foot of this linked page, underneath Paxxi's comment 'Oh right then, all good' : https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/11796/...120ce22344

The exact line that fails on my system is:

nsExec::ExecToStack 'powershell -noprofile -inputformat none -ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned -File "$TEMP\PS\ps.ps1"'

The reason it fails is that the Windows executable 'powershell.exe' , called in that line, cannot be found.

That is because, on my system, powershell.exe is in the folder C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0
- this may not necessarily be the same on yours - and that folder is not on the Windows PATH.

The fix that worked for me was to add "C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0" to the Windows PATH (environment variable). That enables the executable powershell.exe to be found when the installer calls it.

After that, Kodi 17.1 installer completes succesfully on my system.

A robust fix would require a knowledge of the various different folders where Microsoft has put powershell.exe and some way of ensuring that executable can always be found.
(2017-03-22, 22:50)nogginthenog Wrote: That is because, on my system, powershell.exe is in the folder C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0

Do you know why the directory where your powershell.exe is located is not in PATH?
I need to know why this is the case on your machine to do a proper fix for the installer.
(2017-03-22, 22:50)nogginthenog Wrote: I have a fix.

The fix that worked for me was to add "C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0" to the Windows PATH (environment variable). That enables the executable powershell.exe to be found when the installer calls it.

I just checked, and my system path (win7 x64 sp1) already contains
Code:
%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\

Of course, no problem with nsis installer here.

scott s.
(2017-03-22, 23:17)Rechi Wrote: Do you know why the directory where your powershell.exe is located is not in PATH?
I need to know why this is the case on your machine to do a proper fix for the installer.

No, I don't know why it was not there. But as any user, or any badly-behaved installer, can change PATH permanently at any time, you cannot rely on its contents. You would need to test that powershell.exe can be executed, and if not, warn the user accordingly.
(2017-03-22, 23:30)nogginthenog Wrote: No, I don't know why it was not there. But as any user, or any badly-behaved installer, can change PATH permanently at any time, you cannot rely on its contents. You would need to test that powershell.exe can be executed, and if not, warn the user accordingly.

Correct. I've spent years packaging apps for deployment in a windows environment and have had to deal with numerous bad installers regularly overwriting the PATH variable, with all sorts of unexpected results.

So the answer to "why" is "because".
as i said on my post yesterday, 16,1 17.0 & 17.1 RC1 works correctly when installing so the powershell.exe is in the correct path.... so why is it not in the correct path for 17.1 installer.... and how do you put it in the correct path to get the installer to work... can you give clear instructions step by step.. new to this
I have the same problem as above except on Win7 x86.

Versions of Kodi 16.1, 17.0, 17.1RC1 all installed and worked without fuss, but Kodi 17.1 latest release is asking for KB2670838 to be installed, unfortunately it already is!!!!!!.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 17.x Installation problem with KB2670838 Win7 x643