Kodi 17.1 - option "delete file" in context menu is missing
Hi

I have checked many posts in the forum but found no satisfying answer to the above problem. I have set up my system (Kodi 17.1 on Fire TV with Android 5.x) with all the right options (allow file deletion, etc.), everythings runs fine.

I have my movies on a SMB-share on the NAS, I can play the movies and can also delete them from Kodi context menue under Settings > Media.

BUT this is makes deleting a movie an uncomfortable process, especially for my wife how does not want (and should not :-) go into any settings menues and navigate herself through submenues and so on.

I've read in posts that until Kodi 16.1, deleting a file was also possible through the normal context menu of the movie itself directly within the library. Now there is only the option "remove from library" left.

Is this a bug in Kodi 17 or can this be implemented again?

Thanks for your help,
Chrizz
Have you found a solution to this?
ie delete a movie from the context menu?

Build: Kodi 17.6 (Dec 10 2017)
Did you enable "Allow File renaming and deletion" ?

[font][font]Enabling “Allow File renaming and deletion” just puts it on the context menu in 17.6. You go through the motions as if you have deleted, but the file stays put. I have read somewhere that the later versions of Android, I think 6 and up, don’t allow this functionality to work in Kodi. Some sort of workaround was mentioned of editing the packages.xml file. I could not even find this file on Android 7.[/font][/font][font][font]It would be appreciated if the developers fix this issue or if somebody publishes a detailed step by step tutorial of addressing this. We don’t all spend our waking hours intimately in the nether regions of Android and Kodi. This is/was a really useful function as opposed to all the fiddly file managers which takes 10 times the time of the old kodi delete.[/font][/font]
All your font tags make it very difficult to read your post.

If android doesn't allow deletion, it doesn't allow deletion. We don't write or fix android.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Can you please explain how is it an Android thing? Other apps on Android can delete/rename files normally on USB drives? How are they so special?

As I understand, it is a Kodi install procedure omission on Android 7, it does not ask permition to write to media storage, and this nothing to do with Android.

I think that putting an additional line (maybe only in AndroidManifest.xml ?) -> "android.permission.WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE" would probably solve the problem, since in Android 7 that permission is also needed to write to an USB disk.

Of course, root access is also needed, but then most of these cheap Chinese boxes come with rooted Android versions, or one can get easy root access with apps from Google Store, so that should not be a big problem...
(2018-04-03, 21:54)oceanid Wrote: Enabling “Allow File renaming and deletion” just puts it on the context menu in 17.6. You go through the motions as if you have deleted, but the file stays put. I have read somewhere that the later versions of Android, I think 6 and up, don’t allow this functionality to work in Kodi. Some sort of workaround was mentioned of editing the packages.xml file. I could not even find this file on Android 7.It would be appreciated if the developers fix this issue or if somebody publishes a detailed step by step tutorial of addressing this. We don’t all spend our waking hours intimately in the nether regions of Android and Kodi. This is/was a really useful function as opposed to all the fiddly file managers which takes 10 times the time of the old kodi delete.

What do you use for Kodi, a TV Box, tablet, TV or Phone? Is your Android version rooted? Without root access it is not posible.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 17.1 - option "delete file" in context menu is missing0