XBMC for Mac OS X on PowerPC (PPC) CPU systems ?
Plantain Wrote:FWIW, I can playback 720p x264 on my iBook G4.

Compiling all the necessary stuff yourself with Alti-vec addons _really_ makes a difference (Gentoo Linux)

No hope under OS X though, I get about 6fps with VLC.

Anywho, the moral of the story is - PPC isn't dead!
If we're ever going to see XBMC on the Xbox 360 (Or better yet, the PS3), we need a PowerPC port.

I gave it a go once, only to find significant portions of the codebase have been converted to assembly needlessly? I found myself spending hours trying to figure out a piece of assembly was doing (was usually something silly like printf :/)

There is no doubt that GENTOO rocks! But that is just the thing. REAL POWER UNDER LINUX! I love my old apples, But you know, somtimes i think OSX runs better inside of a shell (Like in yellow dog Linux) then it does all by itself. WEIRD BUT TRUE! So it begs to wonder, Why is all this power not built in from the start? Simple. New machines = $$$ and the new XGRID softwafre encorages you to buy more Macs to do your work. Cool, But as you see, It all adds up to purchasing more to get more, Not maxamising what you got, . Sad but true. Xgrid is great at computing nymbersa and doing video transcoding, But might not help to much just to play video...Wish it did.
Lightbulb 
PPC (PowerPC) emulators could possibly make porting easier for those developers who do not actually have PPC hardware:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_...l_machines

QEMU emulator looks most promising at a first glance(?) Huh
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QEMU
http://bellard.org/qemu/
Quote:QEMU is an open source software simulator for x86 that can emulate systems with processors of various architectures, including 386, x86_64, ARM, MIPS, PowerPC and Sparc. For ARM, two emulated platforms are available -- an older "Integrator" platform, and a newly-added "Versatile" platform.

The new Versatile platform includes a SCSI hard disk controller, Ethernet card, and graphical display. According to french Debian developer Aurelien Jarno (who published a HOW-TO about installing Debian or another Linux distributions on the open-source QEMU emulator), when run on an Athlon 64 3800+, running under QEMU can perform 20 percent faster than the ARM-based LinkSys NSLU2 (an inexpensive network-attached storage appliance that is commonly pressed into service as a full Debian ARM development target).

Jarno's HOW-TO begins by describing how to download and install QEMU from CVS, to ensure that the latest Versatile platform support is included. He then configures QEMU to emulate a 10GB hard drive, and downloads a publicly shared Versatile kernel that he created (Debian ARM does not yet include a kernel that supports the image, he says). Next he downloads Debian's "Etch" installer, and bootstraps the installer using a qemu-system-arm command.

Jarno's HOW-TO next describes several harmless error messages, leading ultimately to the emulated ARM system's first boot. Jarno's HOW-TO completes the basic installation by installing a more complete kernel.

Jarno's HOW-TO goes on to explore a few more advanced topics, such as running an Xorg server, increasing the amount of RAM to the maximum supported size of 256MB, and setting up a network bridge to allow the emulated system access to the Internet. The HOW-TO closes with a list of additional resources.

The full HOW-TO can be found here (link) was first published in 2006
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
iordonez Wrote:Always google before you type Wink

http://teamtutorials.com/windows-tutoria...-single-cd

In other news imickey just volunteered to port XBMC to Motorola 6800 so my grandma can enjoy XBMC!

Shizxle. Looks like you may just be able to run XBMC on a 6800 after all with the New ARM port of XBMC for appletv IOS.

Wonders never cease.

Time to bake those cookies...Laugh
Hello , is there someone still interested in Kodi for PPC / Powerbooks / Powermacs ?
I think ... YES !
Can we do something about it ... why not?

... these machines are still awesome!
Yes they are. But so is the original Xbox.

Problem is the power consumption. Its not like a 500W halogen bulb, but it's not a LED either.

I hate to say this, but the golden days of when Kodi or (XBMC) was fun has sort of died out for me. There happens to be even less folks playing with old macs and power PC in general.

So I have to wonder. How many PowerPC installations of Kodi are even out there?

I love my old PowerPC machines. I never turn them on anymore. But these days, the only cool thing to do with a powerPC mac is to gut it and throw in new parts. (For me anyway) But there will always be old programs I loved to use, so one day, I will have to get a Power PC G5 mac just for fun and max it out to use iMovie or something for kicks But I don't think it will be anything more then a great file server. Media Center PC... I just don't think the old girl can keep up anymore.
Current Apple developer tools don't support building for powerpc anymore since years ... its a dead platform from Apples POV.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC for Mac OS X on PowerPC (PPC) CPU systems ?0