Lirc, how do i get it working?
Hello everyone, i have lirc running with a snapstream firefly remote. Using the lircd.conf available here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Instal...nf.firefly Running irw shows that the remote is working properly. I have no idea what to do next. Editing the Lircmap.xml in BUILD/UserData and changing the remote device name to either "atiusb" or "lirc_atiusb" does nothing. I have been searching the forums and google for hours with no luck. Do i also have to edit the keymap.xml? Do i have to create another file i dont know about? Thanks for any help!
I found using irxevent works very well.
http://www.lirc.org/html/irxevent.html

Could be a better way, but I was already familiar with this... so it's the route I went.

Basically in the .lircrc file, just bind the commands you see in irw to the corresponding keyboard keys.
ie.
Code:
begin
        prog = irxevent
        button = STOP
        config = Key x CurrentWindow
end
begin
        prog = irxevent
        button = UP
        config = Key Up CurrentWindow
end

Then start irxevent in daemon mode.
Code:
irxevent -d

Presto Smile

Cheers,
xgrep
return null;
Thanks for the help. I didn't realize the name Lircmap.xml wanted was the name listed in the lircd.conf. Changed it to that and all the options in Lircmap.xml to uppercase and it works great!
Sorry to say this, but Lirc is HELL for the average user.
t029248 Wrote:Sorry to say this, but Lirc is HELL for the average user.

Hrm, I'm not sure I agree. Lirc is hell IF you're using some funky remote or an IRDA receiver that's a little oddball. However when I used a run of the mill standard MCE remote and USB receiver it was pretty much PnP and XBMC worked with it out of the box. All I had to do was tell it that I was using an MCE remote and give it the correct MCE version. It was probably one of the smoothest things I've setup in Linux so far. I then got a new case with a built-in IRDA receiver that doesn't seem to be really supported directly via Lirc sorta' kinda' and it was a HUGE PITA. Frustrated I plugged in my MCE remote and all is fine.Rolleyes
BLKMGK Wrote:Hrm, I'm not sure I agree. Lirc is hell IF you're using some funky remote or an IRDA receiver that's a little oddball. However when I used a run of the mill standard MCE remote and USB receiver it was pretty much PnP and XBMC worked with it out of the box. All I had to do was tell it that I was using an MCE remote and give it the correct MCE version. It was probably one of the smoothest things I've setup in Linux so far. I then got a new case with a built-in IRDA receiver that doesn't seem to be really supported directly via Lirc sorta' kinda' and it was a HUGE PITA. Frustrated I plugged in my MCE remote and all is fine.Rolleyes

Well what if i don't get the Lirc concept, where do i start? What's needed to set it up? I have a Xbox remote and a sigmatel Irda reveiver. I have no clue at all where to start too make them work and i can't find any documentation making sense!

These "undocumented" features i could force myself to learn, but what about "non it people"?

These Linux things scare me away, towards OSX, fortunately XBMC is being ported for that os too.

I might prefer a Linux HTPC in the future, but without headaches! Rofl
What i wanted i connect / select device / use

No text files and xml files..
t029248 Wrote:What i wanted i connect / select device / use

No text files and xml files..

Yes, that's exactly what I got with the MCE remote and USB receiver. If you use Mythbuntu as the base it's configured for you, if you use Desktop you simply add it via package manager and select MCE USB2 just like with the Mythbuntu install - done. A custom distro will likely do much the same. So far I've yet to tweak or modify a single text or XML file for my current remote setup.Nod

Frankly if someone cannot be bothered to learn even that much at this stage then certainly don't mess with this at all - it's not ready for you. <shrug>
I suggest you read this http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=30724

running IRW should give you both the button code and the remotes device name and both needs to be altered for it to work.

My remote reports
000000037ff07be1 00 Up mceusb
000000037ff07be0 00 Down mceusb
000000037ff07bdf 00 Left mceusb
000000037ff07bde 01 Right mceusb

if your remote returns
[...] LeFt SomeRemoteName
[...] RiGhT SomeRemoteName

If you look at this and compare to lircmap.xml
[...]
<remote device="mceusb">
<left>Left</left>
<right>Right</right>
<up>Up</up>
<down>Down</down>
[..]
</remote>
[..]
I'd say that you should add/change your Lircmap.xml into
<remote device="SomeRemoteName">
<left>LeFt</left>
<right>RiGhT</right>
[...]
</remote>
Remember linux is always case-sensitive

A good way to see if it works is by either try it with mythtv wich have already made maps for most remotes out there .

Hope this helps
Any idea why XBMC isn't intercepting these IR codes? (my remote isn't working, but it looks like I have it setup correctly)

Nevermind... it was reading the Lircmap.xml in

~/XBMC/UserData instead of
~/XBMC/BUILD/UserData

Works now.
(If I'm running the binary in /XBMC/BUILD, why would it not use the UserData in /XBMC/BUILD/UserData? Why would it go back down to /XBMC/UserData?)
MattPF Wrote:(If I'm running the binary in /XBMC/BUILD, why would it not use the UserData in /XBMC/BUILD/UserData? Why would it go back down to /XBMC/UserData?)

Hrm, when I as having trouble getting the onboard IRDA receiver working in my new case I'll bet it was doing something like this! I was changing the file to match the remote's reported actions in IRW but it never worked in XBMC. I never thought to look for a second XML file - argh!

do you have a variable set to tell XBMC where it's Home directory is? I'm getting pinged with an error doing a build and when run from a console about this. Setting it would probably ensure we know what directory it's pulling config files from:o
You can check your log it does take lirc map from BUILD/UserData/

Snippet from mine
Code:
16:45:01 T:3053430624 M: 70799360    INFO: Loading /home/topfs/XBMC/BUILD/UserData/Lircmap.xml
Interesting -- mine does not:

Code:
[Feb 13 06:44 PM][matt@server:~/XBMC/BUILD]$ cat xbmc.log | grep Lircmap
00:16:34 T:3063228256 M:  9818112    INFO: Loading /home/matt/XBMC/UserData/Lircmap.xml
[Feb 13 06:44 PM][matt@server:~/XBMC/BUILD]$

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lirc, how do i get it working?0