[MAC] HOW-TO use Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote to control XBMC for Mac
_tv_ Wrote:Okay, try this one, If first release works for you, this should work too..
Release 0.2.1: http://tv.aninga.net/ps3remote0.2.1.app.zip

I never tried the 0.1.0 version so I can't say if it worked. This 0.2.1 version does indeed work for me. I don't get any of the key repeat problems I did with the 0.2.0 version.

It does seem that there may be some mislabels between the remote app and the actual button presses. I don't know if this is just cosmetic as of it. IE

Remote Label Remote App Label
Arrow Left KEY_LEFT
Arrow Up KEY_UP
Arrow Right KEY_DOWN
Arrow Down KEY_RIGHT

Thanks so much. Now I can start drooling for the next version with full and easier config.

;-)

Thanks again !
_tv_ Wrote:Okay, here it is. new version of ps3remote. This time with basic configurability. Config file can be found from ~/Library/Preferences/com.yourcompany.ps3remote.plist , lauch new version once and it will create necessary data there and then you are good to go with configurations.

I can't find the com.yourcompany.ps3remote.plist config file. There is nothing named "com.yourcompany.ps3remote.plist" in either the ~/Library/Preferences/ path or when going through ~users/(computer name)/Library/Preferences/ path.

Any help with this one now? Maybe related to the repeating issue?

;-)
Yeh. I can reproduce this.. Seems it haven't work from the beginning, dont really know why.. It really worked for me couple weeks ago!. It doesn't seem to write file althought I'm syncin defaults as it should be done.. Need to look for this more, but dont have time this weekend.

Also, I have decided that next major version will be implementing this to XBMC straight if no one has any arguments to change my mind. Also if anyone is using this and dont like idea of integrating to XBMC or likes more configurability and so on, I'd suggest you to look for RemoteBuddy(no, it's not my software so not advertising Big Grin).
_tv_ with regard to integrating with XBMC keep the following in mind (I just copied and pasted my comment from elan's blog):

Quote:@elan
“In terms of Bluetooth, d4rk is working on implementing a UDP client-server protocol, and planning on having an external server running which communicates input events to a running XBMC.”

It’s actually an internal server that receives the event messages. Also the messages aren’t restricted to purely input events. For example, there is also a notification event that pops up a little window on screen with a message. What’s external would be the various clients that communicate with the server.

“I have no issue with people doing the same for now and internally supporting OS X Bluetooth HIDs.”

The whole point of the new protocol is to abstract out device specific code and at the same time not compromise on speed. At this point, I wouldn’t encourage anyone to write any device specific code that ties in tighlty with XBMC, Bluetooth or otherwise, since it won’t get accepted. Ideally write your code so that the device specific portions are modular so that it can be reused using the new protocol.

The protocol is close to completion at this stage and basic commands are functional. I already have a few working examples. I’ll be posting examples, documentation etc on the forums once it’s more usable.

As mentioned, the intent of the new protocol is to decouple device specific code from XBMC code. This has quite a few advantages. Firstly, XBMC will not need to be recompiled for every new device that needs to be supported. Secondly, users/developers can write their own input "drivers" in their language of choice (which can eventually be packaged along with the official XBMC distributions once that gets going).

The new protocol will support both analog and digital button events as well as mouse events, which can in turn be used by devices that have accelerometers, support motion sensing etc. Since it's a network based protocol, devices that aren't hooked up to the computer that XBMC is running on can be used as well (in fact the computers could be running different OSes).

The new protocol will be supported in the Linux, Mac and Win32 builds and possibly even the XBox build.

Anyway, just keep these things in mind during your development.

PS: Is your program open source?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

d4rk, yes. I have heard about it and really going to "port" this to it when it's included in builds. And yes, this will be open source when I get my code to look like I want someone to read Wink And this app, it's not even worth really open sourceing atm, so bad example for everyone, as it is my first apps. Do you have any time when to expect input abstraction to finish? Which is closer, week or month? I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks for the nice job.
I'm hoping to finish the basic implementation for Linux by tomorrow or the day ofter, and hopefully it will work on OSX with no changes. A safe estimate is 1 week, if everything is smooth (maybe 2 weeks including some documentation and some simple examples in Python).

Oh sweet! I thought it would be far away in the future. Then I'll just wait for that to come alive before doing anything.
d4rk has added basic support for this in linux branch.

Ive been wondering what the event server was but that was a good explanation above.
Wow, this is great!
I have no experience with cocoa, but I will look at it as soon as the code becomes public.

btw; does the Sixaxis work with the same events?
First off, thanks for all the work you all are doing intergrating the PS3 remote into xbmc. This is a great, cheep, and easy remote control solution.

Do you think it would be possible in future releases for the software to stay paired with a remote even after the "ps3remote" app is closed?
sogorman Wrote:Do you think it would be possible in future releases for the software to stay paired with a remote even after the "ps3remote" app is closed?

I think once they implement the modular coding for OSXBMC that issue will be resolved. If I understand correctly each remote will have it's own module similar to a plug in that can be part of OSXBMC directly but still be independent so that new builds are not effected. It'll be a nice clean solution. This will allow you to just launch OSXBMC and the desired remote will just work without having to launch (or pair) anything else.

What I'm really waiting for would be config options to map any OSXBMC command to any button on the remote.

=)
sogorman Wrote:Do you think it would be possible in future releases for the software to stay paired with a remote even after the "ps3remote" app is closed?

It is possible and I have it working under Linux, no sample code has been committed yet though. It's just a simple matter of the program talking to the remote to also act as a Bluetooth HID server, so that it can "wake up" when a button on the remote is pressed for the first time. This of course is after the initial pairing. The only drawback is that this process needs root privileges.

BTW, _tv_, the event server is now part XBMC, there are some examples in C++ and Python under tools/EventClients. There's also a simple example of using the PS3 remote (a script originally written by brandonj). Feel free to take a look if you want.

I have taken look for it and it looks good but I'm pretty busy now with other things. I might make the program with python+lightBlue because no bluez under os x. Or just some Mac OS X prefpane with alltime backgroundrunning process so you could launch xbmc with ps3's playstation button or something. But I'll really look for this next week when I hopefully have more time. Thanks for your great work!
I just tested new event servers ps3_remote.py and it works flawlessly after I got lightblue installed to correct python. Seems that my proggram is now officially obsoleted Big Grin. Nice work d4rk and others with that event server! Everyone who was intrested in my ps3remote, I suggest you to install lightblue (readme, but use sudo /usr/bin/python setup.py install) and try the python script found in d4rk's links posted before.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] HOW-TO use Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote to control XBMC for Mac0