[MAC] HOW-TO use Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote to control XBMC for Mac
Any update on the PS3 remote front? My biggest problem is that for whatever reason new batteries are completely drained after 2 days of use.

Thanks!
Not more than this: the python version of PS3 eventclient made to app. I'm not sure if this works without external libs but it should (lightblue is included in bundle). I haven't done the script, I just made app bundle from it.

Usage:
Launch XBMC and launch PS3_remote.app
press start+enter
it should work

I haven't had time to work on real implementation, too busy with other things but I've been using this for some time now and it should work.. Have fun!
http://tv.aninga.net/ps3_remote.app.zip
I've made some updates to the scripts that improves the way the keys map - specifically I've made the mappings a combination of mce and xbox remotes.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get xbmc to launch the script, or does it still have to be done from outside of xbmc?

One last thing that I need to do is set up some type of keepalive so that we don't get that 1 minute timeout and the need to do a reconnect. I also want to set it up so it saves the host and port settings and the remote association.
You could make another thread in python that pings the server every xx seconds. J2ME Client does this if you need some inspiration.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
I found this thread a couple of months ago and gave it a try. With the latest one, after awhile it seems to start taking up 100% CPU. I didn't really care then because I primarily ran XBMC on my mini I use for everything, but now I have one just deticated for playing video. Any update would be appreciated.
Could you provide more details regarding the problem, things like what OS version, how long is "after a while" etc and post a ticket at http://trac.xbmc.org.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

Is there anyway I can get a log out of this application. Funny thing is it runs on the old mini, but not the one I just got, the older 2.1 version that wasn't done from the eventsclient still works. I'd be glad to post any information I get, this is a really lovely program.
Is your Mini running OS X or Linux? Version 2.1? What program are you referring to?

OS X, I was refering to http://tv.aninga.net/ps3remote0.2.1.app.zip
In that case, _tv_ will be able to answer your question better as he is the author of the application.

Just bought a sony BT remote and this little app works fine...

Thanks m8 great job.

I want to add a few more buttons to use this to get aroud my pc aswell as XBMC....

Where do i start guy's any idea's...
Sorry I ment to add its a mac mini 1,83GHz core 2 duo, 1 GB sdram running mac os x 10.5.4

Smile
is there any way to auto connect without using mouse
Question 
Hi guys....

Can someone please let me know if I am able to use this remote for all functions on xbmc.

At the mo I am using it with ps3_remote.app, it works but the only buttons that the apple remote uses. ie no volume or display buttons.

Its on a mini mac with the new xbmc beta 1, using built in bluetooth.

Do i need to edit the keymap?

A step by step would be cool but more important to me is am i waisting my time with this remote for full control...

Should i just get a different remote?

Cheers Morph
I just tested it and it works, although I didn't notice any interface in ps3_remote.app. Maybe that's by design.

Anyhow what I did:
  • Launch ps3_remote.app
  • Launch XBMC
  • Hold down start+enter for about 5-10 seconds until you hear a beep
  • Release and use the navigation pad on the remote and see if XBMC responds. If it doesn't repeat the last step, until it works.
EDIT: Just to reconfirm, you downloaded this version: http://tv.aninga.net/ps3remote0.2.1.app.zip ?

Should look something like this once connected:
[ATTACH]44[/ATTACH]

Another option is to use Remote Buddy which also supports this remote.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] HOW-TO use Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote to control XBMC for Mac0