[MAC] HOW-TO use Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote to control XBMC for Mac
_tv_ Wrote:I just tested new event servers ps3_remote.py and it works flawlessly after I got lightblue installed to correct python. Seems that my proggram is now officially obsoleted Big Grin. Nice work d4rk and others with that event server! Everyone who was intrested in my ps3remote, I suggest you to install lightblue (readme, but use sudo /usr/bin/python setup.py install) and try the python script found in d4rk's links posted before.

Does the python script go in the scripts folder?
I successfully installed Lightblue using sudo /usr/bin/python setup.py install. Downloaded the ps3_remote.py file and placed it in the scripts folder of OSXBMC. Successfully paired the PS3 remote with the Mac, but I still can't control OSXBMC with the PS3 remote.

Where did I do wrong?
cooper Wrote:I successfully installed Lightblue using sudo /usr/bin/python setup.py install. Downloaded the ps3_remote.py file and placed it in the scripts folder of OSXBMC. Successfully paired the PS3 remote with the Mac, but I still can't control OSXBMC with the PS3 remote.

Where did I do wrong?

The current XBMC release doesn't yet support python... don't bother trying to use python scripts until it does. Watch http://www.osxbmc.com for more news.
Guess I got a little ahead of myself. Thanks for the info.
The EventClient python script is completely seperated from the XBMC python support thus it doesn't matter if XBMC supports it or not.
The ps3 python scripts talk over UDP.

I'm using linux so I can't really help you on why the script doesn't work however Smile
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
cooper Wrote:I successfully installed Lightblue using sudo /usr/bin/python setup.py install. Downloaded the ps3_remote.py file and placed it in the scripts folder of OSXBMC. Successfully paired the PS3 remote with the Mac, but I still can't control OSXBMC with the PS3 remote.

Where did I do wrong?

It's not XBMC python script, just normal os-level python script. Run it with ./ps3_remote.py localhost 9777. Nothing more complex. It doesnt matter where it is as long the files that require are with it (take the whole Event Clients dir)
I'm having a hard time getting it to work myself. When someone gets this figured out could you please post a set by step to get it working. Thanks so much.
jeremymc7 Wrote:I'm having a hard time getting it to work myself. When someone gets this figured out could you please post a set by step to get it working. Thanks so much.

A HOWTO would be very nice.
I Second that.

Thanks!!!
Basically, this is not ready for end users because need of installing dependencies, but here it is nutshell:

1. install lightBlue with sudo /usr/bin/python setup.py install
2. Download Event Clients folder
3. Launch XBMC and run ps3_remote.py from terminal
4. press start+enter
5. Done
REMOTE BUDDY![b] I think you guys should just get remotebuddy and then this all works great. I love that application infact it is one of the best softwares I know. Anyway check it out. [/b]
Could you stop fooling around? Everyone here knows already it but that's not the point. We want native way to interact with XBMC trough bluetooth and so on. RemoteBuddy is cool but we need something else for this. But yes, I would suggest everyone who doesn't want to run scripts use remote buddy. I might start working with some Preference Panel -type listener which is always present in the background, pairs automatically with PS3-remote and sends buttons to xbmc through udp.. Also this could launch xbmc with ps3-button if it's not already on and so on. I'm very busy with studies atm so dont wait for this, use python scripts or Remote Buddy.
I'm working on a PS3 remote specific keymap. I'll hopefully have something ready within a week or so.
If lightblue gets added to the distribution, it could probably be added as a tickbox in the settings somewhere to activate the remote. To cause the remote to launch xbmc would have to be a pref pane or something, but I'm thinking that xbmc could be set up to hide or minimize instead of quit, and the remote being activated could be used to restore the window and fullscreen. Of course that's beyond me. I think I may have to buy a python book.
Not really prefpane but it would work too, any XBMChelper or something running in the back could listen bt connections (or why not, even ir connections later, or anything else) and try to get udp-connection on, if not it would launch (for now, hideing and showing XBMC is not really option because huge cpu-usage on idle but it would be great option). Also it could be possible to make python script for XBMC to configure that all backgroundrunning XBMChelper.. This is my intentions but I'll see what I can do, but dont wait for anything Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] HOW-TO use Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote to control XBMC for Mac0