Intel GMA X3100 graphics hardware display problems on XBMC for Mac OS X
Sad 
I just installed release 0.1 on my white MacBook (Core 2 Duo with 1 Gb ram). I was able to get the main screen and menus and once I fixed the sources to show my NAS in the volumes, I was able to see things show up in the videos section. I set the resolution to 1280x800 (desktop) and the video res to best available. Whenever I selected a movie, I couldn't get anything to play at all. In some cases, it would kick me out entirely. Is the video processor supported in the MacBook yet? In one place I saw that X3100 was not, but then it said elsewhere that it is. So far, I have tried to play an ISO, Video_TS, MKV, and DIVX. If someone has a MacBook and has had success, please pass along some hints!

I am already planning a Mac Mini media center for the future... and look forward to XBMC instead of Front Row. I was highly disappointed in Front Row once I realized just how limited it is compared to my Xbox XBMC setup!
Nice work on the port elan and the gang!
GMA X3100 results in pink/purple screen, from what I've heard. I don't have the hardware, so haven't been able to look into it more.

-elan
The X3100 is well supported under Linux using ARB shaders (since currently Intel's Linux drivers implement GL 1.4 + ARB shaders). It is possible that on the Mac book, that the X3100 has GL 1.5 + GLSL support and hence it's taking the GLSL render path for videos. Pink/purple screens seems to suggest that U/V planes aren't being correctly converted to RGB and thus possible shader issues. Post your log file (xbmc.log) and we'll have a better idea.

Also, just an FYI to people who are planning purchases solely for XBMC: what you ideally want is a fast proc (like Core2 or X2) and fast GPU that does GL 2.0+ (at least if you're thinking of the purchase as a sort of investment and want to be somewhat future proof as far as XBMC is concerned.). As XBMC keeps improving, it will be relying on more and more GL 2.0 features. Personally, I've had good experience with nVidia GPUs under most OSes. There are quite a few threads on the Linux sub forum where people have discussed success stories and issues they have faced, might be worth a peek even if you're considering Apple hardware.

EDIT: Here's a post from a discussion on the capabilities of the X3100 on a Mac mini type PC.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

just to say i have a white macbook (core duo, 1gb ram, GMA 950) and it works extremely well with this release.
On the GMA 950, it takes the ARB render path since it's OpenGL 1.4.

xbmc.log from Macbook with GMA X3100 and pink video:

http://pastebin.com/m25cf339

What else do you need?
I'll reinstall the release and try playing a video again. I actually didn't buy the MacBook for XBMC...but it was a happy coincidence! I hope the new issue of the MacBook with the X3100 will be sufficient for XBMC so I'd like to facilitate this as much as possible. I have a couple basic questions for the interface so I can post log files quickly. Since I am used to the Xbox remote and not the keyboard, what are the keystrokes to get me out of XBMC if it freezes? Also, is there a key combo to bring up the context menu so I can select play if I try a Video_TS folder? I'll worry about learning everything else later (unless the remote starts working in the next release!) as I just want to help you guys figure it out. I'll post my donation as well... I had tried donating many months ago but it sat uncollected and then was returned to me...this time I will post to Elan's site and the general donation (since I still owe the Xbox team for hours of home theatre enjoyment!)

One question... I wonder about future proofing... will this mean only a high end mac? The mini just screams good deal... I would personally settle for less than 1080p if that is the case... I'dhate to have a mac pro sitting in my living room!
gusax Wrote:xbmc.log from Macbook with GMA X3100 and pink video:

http://pastebin.com/m25cf339

What else do you need?

It's GL 1.2, that's odd. Anyway, a screenshot would be nice. Is it something like this?

Quote:Also, is there a key combo to bring up the context menu so I can select play if I try a Video_TS folder?
You can use the 'right click' key that is usually 2 keys right of the space bar to bring it up.

Quote:One question... I wonder about future proofing... will this mean only a high end mac? The mini just screams good deal... I would personally settle for less than 1080p if that is the case... I'dhate to have a mac pro sitting in my living room!
By future proof, I meant new features like cool shader effects inside the GUI and not just for video playback. Also, things like improved upscaling / video filtering / deinterlacing algorithms using the GPU. Right now in addition to the default bilinear, we also support bicubic upscaling on GLSL enabled GPUs with sufficient horsepower (like NVidia 7600+). Because all GPUs have hardware limitations, not everything can be backported to support slower/less powerful GPUs. These are not basic features so even if your GPU doesn't support these features you can still enjoy 1080p content as long as the CPU is fast enough to handle the decoding (most modern dual core procs are).

A mac mini has the GMA 950, which is a GL 1.4 capable GPU, I don't know what version of GL Apple's drivers implement, given that the more superior X3100, seems to be 1.2 according to the logs, when it is capable of 1.5. The 950 is just an ok GPU and I wouldn't be surprised if Apple in their next iteration switches to the 965 (X3100), or its next version. As far as Intel GPUs go, the X3100 (965) is the most powerful mobile chipset at the moment used in the mac book pro and other mini ITX PCs like aopen's miniPCs. See the Intel GMA wiki for technical details. Anyway, this is just info and if you're planning on buying a Mac Mini right now, you can't choose its GPU anyway.

gusax Wrote:xbmc.log from Macbook with GMA X3100 and pink video:

Forgot to mention that there have been some fixes in SVN related to rendering since Elan's last build, so you might see improvements in the next build.

It is nothing like that screenshot. I am new to Mac so I'll have to figure out how to take a screenshot (it just works...I just don't know how I guess!). If I were to describe a screenshot, though, in fullscreen, when I played the xvid, I got nothing but purple...letterboxed purple.

Here is my log:

http://pastebin.com/m28be6142

I also tried a sample mkv file from the web (a matrix trailer)... that one kicked me right out completely and asked if I wanted to report the problem. It may be due to the use of AAC in that downloaded trailer though so I'll discount that one.
dailydisco Wrote:I am new to Mac so I'll have to figure out how to take a screenshot
Pressing 'printscreen' takes a screenshot in XBMC and saves it in UserData/Screenshots (as long as no other app has trapped the key).

Well, I figured out how to take a screenshot using the mac keystrokes..still not sure what they are in XBMC but I have pasted one in here just to show you what I am getting. I was doing some research on the web and the nearest I can tell is that the new MacBook with the X3100 has some cruddy drivers in Leopard. I hope Apple corrects this soon since it is a pretty bad business practice... some of the things I have read are saying that the X3100 is supposed to be so much faster with OpenGL but this driver issue has crippled it to levels far below the old 950!

Here are some things I found on the net with some comments from me:

In this post, the users talk about turning something called Quartz off and on
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r1956568...t-This-Mac

This post is also interesting in that is indicates that the driver that shipped with Leopard reports OpenGL 1.2, which seems to be incorrect from what the post seems to indicate. From everything I have read, it seems that the new MacBook has a much faster GPU, but that Apple\Intel may have fouled things up. I have to sa y that I find this pretty frustrating! Why ship the new laptops if you aren't ready with good drivers?
http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:HLI...ent=safari

I could not figure out how to paste in the screenshot, so here is hosted version...if it doesn't display, it isn't much to write home about any way:

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2160/picture1po5.png
dailydisco Wrote:I could not figure out how to paste in the screenshot, so here is hosted version...if it doesn't display, it isn't much to write home about any way:

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2160/picture1po5.png
It looks exactly like that for me too. The screen just goes pink, the video doesn't show at all.
The preview pictures/icons in the file list are rendered properly though.
gusax Wrote:The preview pictures/icons in the file list are rendered properly though.

Yep... the icons look nice... makes me want to play them all that much more...darn X3100!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel GMA X3100 graphics hardware display problems on XBMC for Mac OS X0