XBMC + Live TV Streaming
I bought an xbox and a tv tuner for my PC in hope that I would be able to somehow set up my computer to stream live tv to a TV as it is not near an antenna, and internal antennas suck. (I already had an Xbox + XBMC so I knew what it was capable of). I was hoping to find a nice solution, but after a lot of searching, was about to resort to writing my own script to run VLC and just return VLC's URL.

However, I think I've found a solution that is quite good for now. I run DVB WebScheduler + the JTVLan server on my PC, and the WebScheduler script. This is an awesome combination! I am able to stream live tv fine using it, it shows the current programs as well.

Thanks to developers of XBMC, and the author of the WebScheduler script.

Just wanted to tell others in case they didn't know about it (it took me about a month of searching to find this!).
Thanks bro will probably give it a shot in the next few days.

Apparently 'Orb' also works which adds the TV channels as a UPnP source....not confirmed that yet though.
Yeah, I tried Orb, didn't really work for me. Wouldn't recognise my TV tuner properly for some reason. (And apparently, you have to use the older version for live tv, not the new 2.0 beta or something).
Nice job to get PC DigiTV stream to work.

The most elegent solution for combining XBMC and Satellite/Cable/Terrestrial Digitelevision reception is DreamBox 7025+ http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/englis...dm7025.php

With this construction I have perfect digitvBox for ANY receiving techology and I can stream liveTV and recordings to several xbox's on same lan using .strm files just like XBMC-TV. I can watch one channel on the DreamBox itself and simulataniously stream eg. 3 payTV channels to different Xbox's while the actual box is recording 2 different channels, simulatiously..
One digiBox, several "media renderer endpoints."

perfect.
EvilDude Wrote:I bought an xbox and a tv tuner for my PC in hope that I would be able to somehow set up my computer to stream live tv to a TV as it is not near an antenna, and internal antennas suck. (I already had an Xbox + XBMC so I knew what it was capable of). I was hoping to find a nice solution, but after a lot of searching, was about to resort to writing my own script to run VLC and just return VLC's URL.

However, I think I've found a solution that is quite good for now. I run DVB WebScheduler + the JTVLan server on my PC, and the WebScheduler script. This is an awesome combination! I am able to stream live tv fine using it, it shows the current programs as well.

Thanks to developers of XBMC, and the author of the WebScheduler script.

Just wanted to tell others in case they didn't know about it (it took me about a month of searching to find this!).

Hi EvilDude, I am having trouble setting up the live TV streaming using JTVLAN. Could you point me to a link where I might find some setup info, have searched but no go! Any other info would be good.

Thanks

Steve
What kind of streams are they coming from your tuner/pc (what protocol..etc..)?

I assume that these stream addresses are also local to your pc as well?
Spread the knowledge, nothing else.Image
plex Wrote:What kind of streams are they coming from your tuner/pc (what protocol..etc..)?

I assume that these stream addresses are also local to your pc as well?

Thanks for the reply, web scheduler is recording TS-MUX into a local shared folder creating a recording.ts file. I have the XBMC web scheduler script using smb and it selecting the same network folder (as above) for both capture and recording. What I am afraid of is that I'm missing some information on how all this works and am just doing it wrong.
another tip if you run a linux machine as backend, use mythtvserver.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

7s7 Wrote:Thanks for the reply, web scheduler is recording TS-MUX into a local shared folder creating a recording.ts file. I have the XBMC web scheduler script using smb and it selecting the same network folder (as above) for both capture and recording. What I am afraid of is that I'm missing some information on how all this works and am just doing it wrong.

Sorry worked it out at last, look through the xbmc log and found that I had structured a url incorrectly (should have done that earlier, amazing how you get so caught up you cant see the forest for the trees)

Thanks again
Quote:Thanks for the reply, web scheduler is recording TS-MUX into a local shared folder creating a recording.ts file. I have the XBMC web scheduler script using smb and it selecting the same network folder (as above) for both capture and recording. What I am afraid of is that I'm missing some information on how all this works and am just doing it wrong.

I was asking evildude really.. but that's fine Smile
The point of my question (other than to find an answer) was that if your tuner must communicate with you pc somehow in order for you to see the "tv stream of data" on your pc, and it probably communicates with your pc via one of the many streaming video protocols that xmbc supports (rtsp, mms..etc..).

Then its just a matter of finding out the url to this video stream (probably local to your pc) and then finding a way to have xbmc access the video stream. (network, internet..etc..) It would be as simple as "play file" command on mplayer. If that was the scenario.. then again I am not too familiar with how tv tuner's in your pc work, but that's why I asked Smile

You also said something about another program recording this "tv stream" on your pc and then accessing these recorded files with xbmc over network share. This doesn't sound live to me. Wink
Spread the knowledge, nothing else.Image
I've moved on from JTVLan now (webscheduler had some problems closing my tv tuner properly, and this caused my tuner to only show black rather than live tv until a reboot!)

But the way it worked, webscheduler / jtvlan start a recording, and then get vlc to play it straight away. VLC streams this and you can change where it streams to, but I think it defaulted to http or rtsp.

Anyway, I am currently using Mediaportal's TVServer with a plugin I put together, read more about it here:
http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/genera...ipt-36590/

I went this way mainly because my tv tuner driver was pretty crap, but I like this new solution more now. It is much more reliable, and I think using something that is being developed for free is a much better choice than using an old version of Webscheduler.
realjobe Wrote:Nice job to get PC DigiTV stream to work.

The most elegent solution for combining XBMC and Satellite/Cable/Terrestrial Digitelevision reception is DreamBox 7025+ http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/englis...dm7025.php

With this construction I have perfect digitvBox for ANY receiving techology and I can stream liveTV and recordings to several xbox's on same lan using .strm files just like XBMC-TV. I can watch one channel on the DreamBox itself and simulataniously stream eg. 3 payTV channels to different Xbox's while the actual box is recording 2 different channels, simulatiously..
One digiBox, several "media renderer endpoints."

perfect.

Are you in North America?

NA doesn't have the same cable/terrestrial standards as most of the rest of the world, limiting the ability of a Dreambox to perform all the functions you describe...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC + Live TV Streaming0