Minimizing/optimizing skin memory usage?
Question 
I'm having some issues with our XBMC hooked up to the HDTV where i'm occasionally running low on memory.

I'd like to work on my skin to trim memory usage where I can in the 720p mode, but before I do that I wanted to get a better understanding of just how the memory is used.

My guess is that each individual image control contributes to memory usage, and that each list icon/thumb displayed will increase memory usage as well.

I also believe that nothing is "preloaded" from the textures.xpr, so the size of that file is irrelevant for per window memory usage.

Are my assumptions here correct? Any authors have tips they care to share about optimizing memory use?
What size are your thumbs cached? If it's 515x512 then I'd consider reducing to something like 376x376

As far I'm aware the size of the textures.xpr should be pretty much irrelevant to the memory (but of course the larger the textures file the more large images you're probably going to be loading which will be a hit on memory)
The main memory usage is in texture size in pixels that are displayed on screen simultaneously. We don't care how large Textures.xpr is, but obviously the larger it is, the more large textures you have.

Any constant gradient can be simplified down to a single row texture repeated, and any constant blocks of colour can ofcourse be achieved with a 1x1 or 2x2 texture.

Thumbs are the other obvious one. A thumb cache size of 512x512 means 1MB per thumb (512x512x4 bytes/pixel).

There's a slight optimization if you keep the texture width to a multiple of 64 pixels (for images larger than 128 pixels wide), but it's not huge. Texture height may be arbitrary.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Minimizing/optimizing skin memory usage?0