• 2(current)
Apple TV news
atv-bootloader released. see http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/...BootLoader.

This enables the installation of Ubuntu onto the AppleTV. The next step is building and install XBMC for Linux.
Attempting to follow your guide from the atv-bootloader page, but after running the command:

sudo parted -s /dev/sda mklabel gpt (which completes with no errors)

I then go on to the next command, which is to run parted and have it print information regarding the drive. After I type:

sudo parted /dev/hda (and then print, after parted as loaded)

I get Error: /dev/hda: unrecognised disk label

I've been following all instructions verbatim, and am using a Mythbuntu install CD (pretty sure, version 7.10, just downloaded and burned it) as a LiveCD to work with the ATV drive.

Are you using a LiveCD as well to access the drive? Are there modules that must be loaded in order to use gpt? It seems parted was correctly installed, it is version 1.8.8 and I can see gpt in the list when I type help mklabel in while running parted.

Output of uname -a:
Linux ubuntu 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Sun Oct 14 23:05:12 GMT 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

Any ideas? ;]
sudo parted -s /dev/sda mklabel gpt

sudo parted /dev/hda

one of your parted commands references "sda" then other "hda". "sda" != "hda".

I think you want "sudo parted /dev/sda" instead.

ubuntu 2.6.22-14-generic does not reference disks as "hdx". All drives are "sdx".

URL Correction: http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/

I reinstalled again last night to re-verify the MythBuntu install instructions. Everything was done using the LiveCD including building the patched parted and hfs_support tools. No problems.

This time I installed both mythtv frontend and backend. The front/back end combo is too much for the 256MB ram that the AppleTV has and MythTV is a pig regarding memory. Linux swaps like crazy. This is doing 1080i/720p decode/display from a HDHomeRun. MythFrontEnd is fine to a separate MythTV backend.

The other thing I noticed was that when using the drive attached via USB, boot time to Linux/ATV logo is about 11 seconds. When using the drive attached to the internal ata bus, boot time to logo increased to greater than 60 seconds. This is a mystery that I need to solve. My previous Linux installs take the standard 11 second to logo attached to internal ata. The only real difference is the MBR that grub wrote. gpt format includes legacy MBR support so the there should not be a problem. Should take a day or so to find out the reason.
Oops, thats a typo on top. I copied and pasted that from your guide. I have the Apple TV hard drive hooked up to my computer with a 3.5->2.5 adapter -- so it's attached to my main ide controller. I'm very sure that it is /dev/hda ;]
Code:
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo parted /dev/hda
GNU Parted 1.8.8
Using /dev/hda
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) mklabel
New disk label type? msdos
(parted) print
Model: FUJITSU MHW2040AT (ide)
Disk /dev/hda: 40.0GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start  End  Size  Type  File system  Flags

(parted)

But when I change it to gpt:

Code:
(parted) mklabel
Warning: The existing disk label on /dev/hda will be destroyed and all data on
this disk will be lost. Do you want to continue?
Yes/No? yes
New disk label type?  [msdos]? gpt
(parted) print
Error: /dev/hda: unrecognised disk label
(parted)

The 40 gig drive is definitely the Apple TV's hard disk, and I can only not print the list of partitions when the label type is gpt.
sometime I've noticed parted doing strange things so generally I womp the disk with "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=4096 count=1M" to "clean it"

then "sudo parted -s /dev/sda mklabel gpt"

This is the patched parted, correct? And you removed the previous parted "atp-get remove parted" before building the patched parted.

I've never seen this error and I can't believe it a 3.5->2.5 adapter issue. The "hda" naming is strange. Ubuntu changed from using "hdx" to "sdx" after breezy. I remember that well;>.

So you boot off the LiveCD, install the build tools, then build parted and hfs-support tools. Basically following this (http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/...oningLinux).
paste the output of "cat /proc/partitions" here so I can see it.
I'm following the guide exactly. ;] I've wiped it with zeros -- twice now, as I tried it again in case something went wrong the first time.

I didn't check to see what version of parted comes with Mythbuntu 7.10, but parted displays 1.8.8 as it's version. And when I run apt-get remove parted, it (after uninstalling it when I ran it the first time) tells me it is not installed.

It couldn't have anything to do with the fact that my drive came from a Take 2 ATV, could it?
once you wipe the drive, it does not matter where it came from, the contents and partition formats are gone.

can you post the output from "cat /proc/partitions"?
ubuntu@ubuntu:~/hfs_support$ cat /proc/partitions
major minor #blocks name

3 0 39070080 hda
8 0 312571224 sda
8 1 312568641 sda1
7 0 419644 loop0
Hmmm, I wonder what went wrong. I went through and manually did the steps from all the .sh files myself, and now it's working?

Something must have failed with the parted build the first time? ;]
Like I said, parted is funny sometimes. I would love to get these patches into parted. They were created and submitted about a year ago and the parted dev was going to add them but then dropped it with no explanation.

Here's the original thread (http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail...01732.html).
The boot.efi I'm using is from my hard drive before I wiped it. Is there any difference between the Take 2's boot.efi and the one you are using? (I believe yours is from the 1.1 update?)
Oh, and at the end, with the copy commands, I'm having to use sudo to copy them.
The boot.efi file is identical for r1.0, r1.1 and r2 versions. My instructions detail how to extract it from the r1.1 update. I, myself, am using my original boot.efi from a r1.0.
adefa Wrote:Oh, and at the end, with the copy commands, I'm having to use sudo to copy them.

instructions have been updated.

I typically do a sudo -s to which to root privileges. It can be dangerous which is why I don't do that in the instructions.

When you get it booting -- how long from power-on or reboot to Linux/ATV logo?
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV news1