HTPC contemplation
I'm a Kodi noob. I had my Android box about 2 weeks now and had Kodi installed on my Mac for about 1 week. I'm a network admin which means there are 7 computers in my house and 4 OSes. I've skinned and customized my Kodi box but I find it laggy sometimes since it's a 2GB/10GB internal box. I'm thinking of using one of 2 computers to repurpose as a Kodi box. A custom built computer running 256GB SSD, 32GB RAM, high end graphics card running Windows 10. I planned to use it as a bitcoin rig but haven't had the time to complete the setup. The other is a 2014 Mac Mini with an i5, 8GBs RAM and running Mac OS. I'm leaning toward the Mac Mini just because of the form factor and how good it would look in the TV stand. Whichever I choose will be running only Kodi and no other software. The TV is a 60" LG that might get upgraded soon.
I'd say both are overkill, but the first one is mega-overkill. A cheap celeron chromebox running Libreelec would be my recommendation. Cheap, low power, snappy, plays 99% of files, unless you're into the less mainstream stuff like anime, or serious about 3D files etc. which all seem to complicate matters when choosing hardware, the chromebox ticks the right boxes. Consider the electricity savings alone on the other two options and the chromebox will pay for itself soon enough.
(2017-04-30, 23:06)t2ffn Wrote: I'd say both are overkill, but the first one is mega-overkill. A cheap celeron chromebox running Libreelec would be my recommendation. Cheap, low power, snappy, plays 99% of files, unless you're into the less mainstream stuff like anime, or serious about 3D files etc. which all seem to complicate matters when choosing hardware, the chromebox ticks the right boxes. Consider the electricity savings alone on the other two options and the chromebox will pay for itself soon enough.

Lol I know it's overkill but I already have the hardware which means there is no cost for me. They are both not being used because one was meant to be a bitcoin rig and the other was used less often when I got a new iMac. Which is why I considered re-purposing one of the two. I like the idea of them being super overpowered because it should ensure I have no lag whatsoever.
If LibreELEC can be installed on that mini, I'll definitely go that route.

Sent from my HTC 10
(2017-04-30, 21:49)Savag3 Wrote: I'm a Kodi noob. I had my Android box about 2 weeks now and had Kodi installed on my Mac for about 1 week. I'm a network admin which means there are 7 computers in my house and 4 OSes. I've skinned and customized my Kodi box but I find it laggy sometimes since it's a 2GB/10GB internal box. I'm thinking of using one of 2 computers to repurpose as a Kodi box. A custom built computer running 256GB SSD, 32GB RAM, high end graphics card running Windows 10. I planned to use it as a bitcoin rig but haven't had the time to complete the setup. The other is a 2014 Mac Mini with an i5, 8GBs RAM and running Mac OS. I'm leaning toward the Mac Mini just because of the form factor and how good it would look in the TV stand. Whichever I choose will be running only Kodi and no other software. The TV is a 60" LG that might get upgraded soon.

Both will be fine unless you're going to throw HVEC/h265 content at it, in which case I would go with the first build. If you're throwing standard 720/1080p content at them then both would do. I'd go with the mini tbh just for the SFF aspect of it. TBH, I've tried several android boxes and while they might have been ok they were just OK. I ended up building an i7 32gb of memory and a highend GPU in a SFF case and have never looked back.

My rig is based on the Node Fractal 202 case.
I am currently looking to replace my mac mini 2011 with something more current. I have change an rpi3 running a v18 nightly install and that is working amazingly well. Even on wireless I can watch live tv from my hdhomerun prime with zero issues. the interface can lag a bit at times but everything is working really well otherwise. The great thing about the MacMini is that they hold their value and you can sell it and get a few more affordable kodi capable machines to place around the home.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2017-05-01, 04:10)Savag3 Wrote:
(2017-04-30, 23:06)t2ffn Wrote: I'd say both are overkill, but the first one is mega-overkill. A cheap celeron chromebox running Libreelec would be my recommendation. Cheap, low power, snappy, plays 99% of files, unless you're into the less mainstream stuff like anime, or serious about 3D files etc. which all seem to complicate matters when choosing hardware, the chromebox ticks the right boxes. Consider the electricity savings alone on the other two options and the chromebox will pay for itself soon enough.

Lol I know it's overkill but I already have the hardware which means there is no cost for me. They are both not being used because one was meant to be a bitcoin rig and the other was used less often when I got a new iMac. Which is why I considered re-purposing one of the two. I like the idea of them being super overpowered because it should ensure I have no lag whatsoever.

That's kind of a false economy as the SSDs, Ram and CPU will never be utilised in any capacity under Kodi. Kodi needs very little CPU, Ram, and Hdd space to be snappy, so yes, you may only use 3% of the CPU power and have a lot of power in reserve, but the best way to get a good Kodi experience is to have a system that is optimised to play as much content as possible, well. This includes (if needed) passthrough of HD audio etc. As I say, Libreelec works flawlessly on the chromebox, because it just works. I'm not sure how well Kodi works on a Mac these days. I think Windows may have less passthtough support but I don't use Kodi on windows so am probably wrong.

If you intend to use those devices for other purposes it might make them more well utilised, if not you could eBay the Mac mini and pick up a couple of chromeboxes or similar and have a better user experience.
(2017-05-01, 13:10)t2ffn Wrote: As I say, Libreelec works flawlessly on the chromebox, because it just works. I'm not sure how well Kodi works on a Mac these days. I think Windows may have less passthtough support but I don't use Kodi on windows so am probably wrong.

With a few exceptions (due to driver issues) Windows and Linux/LibreElec offer broadly similar passthrough functionality on Intel CPU/GPU combos. There were some issues with some Atom (Braswell?) CPUs where Linux supported HD Audio bitstreaming but Windows didn't. Equally Windows supports decoding of interlaced VC-1, whereas the Linux driver bug means you can't play this content with hardware acceleration on Intel under Linux. (In Europe TV Blu-rays are often interlaced, as the BD standard didn't include 25p support. As a result 50i Blu-rays encoded in VC-1 are an issue for Linux Intel platforms...)

There are lots of other issues not to like Windows - but these days it is pretty well supported in Kodi terms (and you can get 3D MVC + Frame Packed output on a Windows build)
(2017-05-01, 13:01)joeyhhdhtpc Wrote:
(2017-04-30, 21:49)Savag3 Wrote: I'm a Kodi noob. I had my Android box about 2 weeks now and had Kodi installed on my Mac for about 1 week. I'm a network admin which means there are 7 computers in my house and 4 OSes. I've skinned and customized my Kodi box but I find it laggy sometimes since it's a 2GB/10GB internal box. I'm thinking of using one of 2 computers to repurpose as a Kodi box. A custom built computer running 256GB SSD, 32GB RAM, high end graphics card running Windows 10. I planned to use it as a bitcoin rig but haven't had the time to complete the setup. The other is a 2014 Mac Mini with an i5, 8GBs RAM and running Mac OS. I'm leaning toward the Mac Mini just because of the form factor and how good it would look in the TV stand. Whichever I choose will be running only Kodi and no other software. The TV is a 60" LG that might get upgraded soon.

Both will be fine unless you're going to throw HVEC/h265 content at it, in which case I would go with the first build. If you're throwing standard 720/1080p content at them then both would do. I'd go with the mini tbh just for the SFF aspect of it. TBH, I've tried several android boxes and while they might have been ok they were just OK. I ended up building an i7 32gb of memory and a highend GPU in a SFF case and have never looked back.

My rig is based on the Node Fractal 202 case.

(2017-05-01, 13:06)bry Wrote: I am currently looking to replace my mac mini 2011 with something more current. I have change an rpi3 running a v18 nightly install and that is working amazingly well. Even on wireless I can watch live tv from my hdhomerun prime with zero issues. the interface can lag a bit at times but everything is working really well otherwise. The great thing about the MacMini is that they hold their value and you can sell it and get a few more affordable kodi capable machines to place around the home.

(2017-05-01, 13:10)t2ffn Wrote:
(2017-05-01, 04:10)Savag3 Wrote:

That's kind of a false economy as the SSDs, Ram and CPU will never be utilised in any capacity under Kodi. Kodi needs very little CPU, Ram, and Hdd space to be snappy, so yes, you may only use 3% of the CPU power and have a lot of power in reserve, but the best way to get a good Kodi experience is to have a system that is optimised to play as much content as possible, well. This includes (if needed) passthrough of HD audio etc. As I say, Libreelec works flawlessly on the chromebox, because it just works. I'm not sure how well Kodi works on a Mac these days. I think Windows may have less passthtough support but I don't use Kodi on windows so am probably wrong.

If you intend to use those devices for other purposes it might make them more well utilised, if not you could eBay the Mac mini and pick up a couple of chromeboxes or similar and have a better user experience.

(2017-05-01, 14:30)noggin Wrote:
(2017-05-01, 13:10)t2ffn Wrote: As I say, Libreelec works flawlessly on the chromebox, because it just works. I'm not sure how well Kodi works on a Mac these days. I think Windows may have less passthtough support but I don't use Kodi on windows so am probably wrong.

With a few exceptions (due to driver issues) Windows and Linux/LibreElec offer broadly similar passthrough functionality on Intel CPU/GPU combos. There were some issues with some Atom (Braswell?) CPUs where Linux supported HD Audio bitstreaming but Windows didn't. Equally Windows supports decoding of interlaced VC-1, whereas the Linux driver bug means you can't play this content with hardware acceleration on Intel under Linux. (In Europe TV Blu-rays are often interlaced, as the BD standard didn't include 25p support. As a result 50i Blu-rays encoded in VC-1 are an issue for Linux Intel platforms...)

There are lots of other issues not to like Windows - but these days it is pretty well supported in Kodi terms (and you can get 3D MVC + Frame Packed output on a Windows build)

This is how I know I'm a noob I hadn't considered many of the things mentioned here. "I've tried several android boxes and while they might have been ok they were just OK. I ended up building an i7 32gb of memory and a highend GPU in a SFF case and have never looked back." exactly where it all started for me and that's exactly the boat I'm in right now. I'm a simple guy, my setup is simple and it will just be mostly 1080p content. I used to have a WD Live box with my hard drive full of all my DVD rips so that lets you know where I'm coming from. I've got 5 CD folders full of movies so people never understood why I loved the WD Live but it's been years since I've had to put in a damn DVD. Right now I'm thinking the Mac Mini will be the choice I'll make my mind up by the weekend.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC contemplation0