Some SMB shares dont show content
I have a share that I have mounted within the Finder. I can browse and play the music tracks OK from say iTunes , and if I copy the files locally I can play them from XBMC . However as a SMB mount drive added within XBMC the share shows no content with just the '..' as empty directory markers. The structure is share/artist/album/tracks but I don't think that's the issue.

What I suspect is that the share maybe isn't responding quick enough with its directory structure access. My main music library is stored on an Escient system that shares it's drive , but I know it's a little slower than some shares. Everything seems to work OK with it though - apart from XBMC.

Is there anything I can do to improve this ? The Escient setup is a given I'm afraid so I can't do much about that. I haven't used an XBox version with this so I don't know if that also has an issue , but I may be able to try it. UPnP is a possibility but I don't think that's supported at all (yet) is it ?

K
I was going to browse the documentation but I saw this post so I figured I'd pipe in. I just installed 0.1 on my brand new 10.5.2 Mac mini and thus far I can't browse any SMB shares. My Xbox mounts all my movies and music over SMB so I was hoping to do the same from my OS X version. Looks like that isn't supported yet? The network setting screens seem to be incredibly buggy, as I can't change my workgroup or enter a WINS server.

I'm going to do some more research and see if SMB is supported yet, but my early impressions are that it's not yet working.
Native SMB support is not working, but you can still mount the shares through the OS and access them through osxbmc
OSXBMC can only deal volumes "seen" by OSX, so you can mount them directly and when you see them in the finder you can "add" them in XBMC. The latest compile should show you all the machine's volumes (heck, it might even show mounted images).
I'm not sure how this works... Please bear with me a little as this is my first real Mac, I've grown up on Windows and Linux. I can connect to my Windows server via SMB by going to Go - Connect to server, and entering smb://servername/share, and the shares then show up under 'Shared' in my Finder. But XBMC still doesn't see them - How can I mount them so that XBMC sees them? Do I need to do some sort of fstab mount like in Linux or is there a more Mac-like way to be doing this?
I'm not a Mac guy, but i'm sure there is an equivalent to 'mount network drive' in osx.
You will need to do this with your smb shares, then you will see them in xbmc.
If you google "mount network drive osx" i'm sure you'll find some details on how to do it.
edit: seems to be similar as linux. use the mount command.
This should help
http://docs.huihoo.com/darwin/opendarwin...01s02.html
jerkychew Wrote:I'm not sure how this works... Please bear with me a little as this is my first real Mac, I've grown up on Windows and Linux. I can connect to my Windows server via SMB by going to Go - Connect to server, and entering smb://servername/share, and the shares then show up under 'Shared' in my Finder. But XBMC still doesn't see them - How can I mount them so that XBMC sees them? Do I need to do some sort of fstab mount like in Linux or is there a more Mac-like way to be doing this?
To mount an SMB volume just click on your Windows server under SHARED in a Leopard Finder window. Then your shared disks should become visible. Mount/browse the disk by clicking on it. Once you can see the files of that disk it's mounted and should also be available inside XBMC. At least that's how it works for me. Browsing SMB volumes with XBMC is still very unreliable (at least for me) but I guess that's a separate issue.
I get all my shared windows folders under "shared" in Finder. But OS XBMC cannot find them. Do I need to change some settings in Leopard or XBMC?
valmont74 Wrote:I get all my shared windows folders under "shared" in Finder. But OS XBMC cannot find them. Do I need to change some settings in Leopard or XBMC?

Edit - I now managed to add my shares by first mounting them. However, do I need to mount every folder each time I reboot the Mac Mini? It seems OS XBMC "forgets" the folders already been added, so I had to re-mount them and then I can view the content in XBMC.
Not sure if this will work for you but give it a try.
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys....1&safe=off
if not, try googling it for your particular osx version
valmont74 Wrote:Edit - I now managed to add my shares by first mounting them. However, do I need to mount every folder each time I reboot the Mac Mini? It seems OS XBMC "forgets" the folders already been added, so I had to re-mount them and then I can view the content in XBMC.

Yes, that is how mounting is supposed to work. The same thing happens in Windows. In Windows you have to check the square called "reconnect on login" or something like that. In Mac OS X you can do it a couple of different ways, but the easiest is probably to make an alias (symlink) of the mounted share-folder and put it in the Start-objects. You can find your startobjects in System Preferences. In the User-part I think. Define which things should auto-start for a specific user, add the alias there.
atrus Wrote:Yes, that is how mounting is supposed to work. The same thing happens in Windows. In Windows you have to check the square called "reconnect on login" or something like that. In Mac OS X you can do it a couple of different ways, but the easiest is probably to make an alias (symlink) of the mounted share-folder and put it in the Start-objects. You can find your startobjects in System Preferences. In the User-part I think. Define which things should auto-start for a specific user, add the alias there.

Thanks! I added the folders, unfortunately they all open up on the desktop when I start the computer, but it works and I can close them pretty quick Smile

One more question - is it possible to edit or delete selected sources? I've added one I'd like to change the name of, and one is not working and I want to delete it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Some SMB shares dont show content0