• 3(current)
WHS (Windows Home Server) + XBMC = Fun
WHS is just as fast as a single drive shared via SMB on any other machine, provided it isn't moving data around in the background, which only really happens if you copy a bunch of data to a duplicated folder. Considering the bitrates we're talking about, that's irrelevant.

Your best bet would be some kind of transcoding media server that would re-encode your media dynamically based on the amount of bandwidth available. Maybe TVersity does this, I'm not sure.
Can I ask has anyone tried to run the Windows version of XBMC actually on WHS?

I have my WHS in my cellar along with satellite receivers, etc and could easily run a HDMI cable from my WHS to my TV so was thinking of trying it but if someone has already I'd be keen to understand how it went

Thanks
kemik Wrote:Can I ask has anyone tried to run the Windows version of XBMC actually on WHS?

I have my WHS in my cellar along with satellite receivers, etc and could easily run a HDMI cable from my WHS to my TV so was thinking of trying it but if someone has already I'd be keen to understand how it went

Thanks

I've never tried it, but there's no reason it shouldn't work. You'll need a graphics card and drivers that support opengl 2, which I only mention because the average whs box has a pretty basic grahics chip.
Why would you want a server whiiiiiiiiirrrrrrring away while trying to watch a movie?

My WHS has 6 HDD's in it, its not a quiet box..... I had it in my loft at my old house and since moving to my new place its running in the garage!
Because if you read my message correctly mine is in the cellar in my comms rack so not near my TV! Big Grin
Out of interest are you running pre-built WHS's? looks like my server didnt like the house move - I thought the HDD had taken a clump so rebuilt it but its looking more and more like the mainboard is on the way out Sad

If your not using HP type machines can anyone recomend a board? I had a Gigabyte board about 18months old in there but like many boards its not got proper drivers for 2K3/WHS I used the XP ones, but if possible I'd like a board with a bit more driver support....
Geeba Wrote:If your not using HP type machines can anyone recomend a board? I had a Gigabyte board about 18months old in there but like many boards its not got proper drivers for 2K3/WHS I used the XP ones, but if possible I'd like a board with a bit more driver support....

XP drivers are for all intents and purposes Server 03 drivers. Same driver model, the only potential problems would stem from poorly written installers - device manager should always work.
mpw222 Wrote:XP drivers are for all intents and purposes Server 03 drivers. Same driver model, the only potential problems would stem from poorly written installers - device manager should always work.

Hi mpw222 - thanks for your reply - yep I realize the drivers are very similar as 2K3 as you say is pretty much the same as XP under the bonnet - but my mainboard is reporting hardware failure in the event log and as it stores all my movies, music and pictures (and a HEAP more stuff) I've got no choice but to change it - I was just hoping for a board with a little more 2K3-centric roots perhaps an entry level Intel server board.

But I'll go with desktop components again if I cant find a suitable contender. Big Grin if anyone has a board in mind I'd appreciate a pointer - ATX, on-board VGA and a liberal wipe of SATA interfaces would be great 775, preferably on Intel chipset....
kemik Wrote:Can I ask has anyone tried to run the Windows version of XBMC actually on WHS?

Thanks

I have no experience with WHS, I run 2003 Server at home. Personally I think you should let WHS, or any other server-type, do it's job: "serving", and not divide resources between backend- and frontend-services. I think you're better off performance-wise with placing a good XP/Vista/W7-machine right next to your WHS server and connect that to your tv.
A matter of opinion. Nothing more.
Joy In Repitition
I recently purchased my WHS with 2*1000 Gb drives.
It's supereasy to set up and get going
The only problem I had was with remote access. Nothing to do with WHS though.
My ISP blocks ports 80 and 443 so I can't reach the server from outside my LAN.
I had to forward the ports in the router configuration to get access and by doing that I'm actually violating my contract with my ISP because I'm not allowed to run a server at home.
Off course there is a solution for everything but I was a little surprised this isn't mentioned on the microsoft website or anywhere else, even when there are a lot ISP's blocking these ports.
I think many people buy a WHS in the first place because they can access their documents and media from anywhere in the world. Many will be dissapointed to find out they can not. (at least not out of the box, you have to be a more advanced user to set it up correctly)
struisje Wrote:I recently purchased my WHS with 2*1000 Gb drives.
I had to forward the ports in the router configuration to get access and by doing that I'm actually violating my contract with my ISP because I'm not allowed to run a server at home.
Off course there is a solution for everything but I was a little surprised this isn't mentioned on the microsoft website or anywhere else, even when there are a lot ISP's blocking these ports.
I think many people buy a WHS in the first place because they can access their documents and media from anywhere in the world. Many will be dissapointed to find out they can not. (at least not out of the box, you have to be a more advanced user to set it up correctly)

Or use Logmein! Wink
struisje Wrote:I recently purchased my WHS with 2*1000 Gb drives.

While many ISPs do block servers on 80 or 443, if it started working for you after manually forwarding the ports, it means you don't have uPNP configured correctly on your router and has nothing to do with the ISP.
Batemann Wrote:I have no experience with WHS, I run 2003 Server at home. Personally I think you should let WHS, or any other server-type, do it's job: "serving", and not divide resources between backend- and frontend-services. I think you're better off performance-wise with placing a good XP/Vista/W7-machine right next to your WHS server and connect that to your tv.
A matter of opinion. Nothing more.

This is actually even more true in the case of WHS. The drive extender and migrator services re-distribute your files across multiple drives on a regular basis. Depending on your hardware, this can take a noticeable amount of resources while it's happening, which could impact playback. The more frequently you add data to the WHS, the more often it will re-organize it.

If you want to try to make it work anyway, make sure you have up to date graphics drivers and use SMB to access the files stored on the WHS/XBMC PC (e.g. \\localhost\TV).
mpw222 Wrote:While many ISPs do block servers on 80 or 443, if it started working for you after manually forwarding the ports, it means you don't have uPNP configured correctly on your router and has nothing to do with the ISP.

I meant I forwarded port 4125 to my WHS as my ISP only blocks ports under 1000
Big Grin 
i use WHS streaming to windows based XBMC, everything works great for me. I stream everything from the server Pics, movies, home videos and music. Everything is set up as a windows shared SMB// works great for me.
V.

*Windows 7 Pro
*EVGA 512-P2-N635-AR GeForce 7950GT 512MB
*ASUS M2N32-WS Pro AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI ATX Server Motherboard
*AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Windsor 2.4GHz Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core Processor
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WHS (Windows Home Server) + XBMC = Fun1