Cannot compile XBMC for Mac OS X because of python
Make sure you've set your XBMC_HOME environment variable to point to somewhere sensible.

e.g. I do export XBMC_HOME=/Users/marklane/osx/xbmc/XBMC

Also check the xmbc.log to see what's happening on load.
Oh, and if your build didn't run cleanly from start to finish, try a clean and a re-build to be sure everything is built correctly
Will try that tonight. But the question is: Where is XBMC_HOME?
Is it where the Unix-Executable is built to? Somewhere under build/debug/?
Is it where I did the checkout (seems like this, as your path shows XBMC at the end)?
Or is it in the Application Support Folder?
NEI Wrote:Where is XBMC_HOME?

XBMC_HOME points to the "root" folder of XBMC where it can find, skins, scripts, configs etc etc. XBMC will put any user settings inside ~/Library/Application Support/XBMC (this is not where you want XBMC_HOME to point)

If you point it to the main XBMC directory inside the folder that you checked out of SVN then that should work.

E.g for me, I have the project checked out of SVN into

/Users/marklane/osx/xbmc

inside here it looks like this

XBMC docs mplayer sources

so I point my XBMC_HOME to the XBMC folder in there.

i.e. export XBMC_HOME=/Users/marklane/osx/xbmc/XBMC

confusion might arise because I've named my project folder "xbmc" too. Hell this confuses me a lot of the time (note to self, rename to xbmc-dev Smile )

Hope this helps
Spiderlane
Thanks for the explanation! Will try this later! :-)
NEI Wrote:Thanks for the explanation!

My pleasure. Don't forget to come back here and let us know how you got on in case it helps others in the same predicament.

Good luck Smile
Great! Now it works. Did a clean, build and exported the dir you mentioned! But only when started through the terminal. When i add the XBMC_HOME to the executable in XCODE, I still get this black screen! But there is no error message about XBMC_HOME anymore... So I am not able to debug it, which isn't so bad for the moment.
I just checked out the latest and greatest from SVN an hour ago and I get a compilation error...Bad checkin?

/Users/gordon/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/utils/CharsetConverter.cpp: In member function ‘void CCharsetConverter::utf8ToW(const CStdStringA&, CStdStringW&, bool)’:
/Users/gordon/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/utils/CharsetConverter.cpp:223: error: invalid conversion from ‘const char**’ to ‘char**’
/Users/gordon/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/utils/CharsetConverter.cpp:223: error: initializing argument 2 of ‘size_t libiconv(void*, char**, size_t*, char**, size_t*)’
/Users/gordon/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/utils/CharsetConverter.cpp: In member function ‘void CCharsetConverter:ConfusedubtitleCharsetToW(const CStdStringA&, CStdStringW&)’:
/Users/gordon/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/utils/CharsetConverter.cpp:266: error: invalid conversion from ‘const char**’ to ‘char**’
/Users/gordon/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/utils/CharsetConverter.cpp:266: error: initializing argument 2 of ‘size_t libiconv(void*, char**, size_t*, char**, size_t*)’
/Users/gordon/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/utils/CharsetConverter.cpp: In member function ‘void CCharsetConverter::utf8ToStringCharset(const CStdStringA&, CStdStringA&)’:
/Users/gordon/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/utils/CharsetConverter.cpp:356: error: invalid conversion from ‘const char**’ to ‘char**’
/Users/gordon/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/utils/CharsetConverter.cpp:356: error: initializing argument 2 of ‘size_t libiconv(void*, char**, size_t*, char**, size_t*)’
/Users/gordon/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/utils/CharsetConverter.cpp: In member function ‘void CCharsetConverter:ConfusedtringCharsetToUtf8(const CStdStringA&, CStdStringA&)’:
/Users/gordon/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/utils/CharsetConverter.cpp:394: error: invalid conversion from ‘const char**’ to ‘char**’
/Users/gordon/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/utils/CharsetConverter.cpp:394: error: initializing argument 2 of ‘size_t libiconv(void*, char**, size_t*, char**, size_t*)’
/Users/gordon/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/utils/CharsetConverter.cpp: In member function ‘void CCharsetConverter:ConfusedtringCharsetToUtf8(const CStdStringA&, const CStdStringA&, CStdStringA&)’:
/Users/gordon/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/utils/CharsetConverter.cpp:429: error: invalid conversion from ‘const char**’ to ‘char**’
/Users/gordon/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/utils/CharsetConverter.cpp:429: error: initializing argument 2 of ‘size_t libiconv(void*, char**, size_t*, char**, size_t*)’
/Users/gordon/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/utils/CharsetConverter.cpp: In member function ‘void CCharsetConverter::wToUTF8(const CStdStringW&, CStdStringA&)’:
/Users/gordon/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/utils/CharsetConverter.cpp:465: error: invalid conversion from ‘const char**’ to ‘char**’
/Users/gordon/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/utils/CharsetConverter.cpp:465: error: initializing argument 2 of ‘size_t libiconv(void*, char**, size_t*, char**, size_t*)’
/Users/gordon/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/utils/CharsetConverter.cpp: In member function ‘void CCharsetConverter::utf16BEtoUTF8(const CStdStringW&, CStdStringA&)’:
/Users/gordon/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/utils/CharsetConverter.cpp:495: error: invalid conversion from ‘const char**’ to ‘char**’
/Users/gordon/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/utils/CharsetConverter.cpp:495: error: initializing argument 2 of ‘size_t libiconv(void*, char**, size_t*, char**, size_t*)’
/Users/gordon/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/utils/CharsetConverter.cpp: In member function ‘void CCharsetConverter::utf16LEtoW(const char*, CStdStringW&)’:
/Users/gordon/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/utils/CharsetConverter.cpp:531: error: invalid conversion from ‘const char**’ to ‘char**’
/Users/gordon/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/utils/CharsetConverter.cpp:531: error: initializing argument 2 of ‘size_t libiconv(void*, char**, size_t*, char**, size_t*)’
/Users/gordon/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/utils/CharsetConverter.cpp: In member function ‘void CCharsetConverter::ucs2CharsetToStringCharset(const CStdStringW&, CStdStringA&, bool)’:
/Users/gordon/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/utils/CharsetConverter.cpp:580: error: invalid conversion from ‘const char**’ to ‘char**’
/Users/gordon/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/utils/CharsetConverter.cpp:580: error: initializing argument 2 of ‘size_t libiconv(void*, char**, size_t*, char**, size_t*)’
/Users/gordon/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/utils/CharsetConverter.cpp: In member function ‘void CCharsetConverter::utf32ToStringCharset(const long unsigned int*, CStdStringA&)’:
/Users/gordon/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/utils/CharsetConverter.cpp:617: error: invalid conversion from ‘const char**’ to ‘char**’
/Users/gordon/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/utils/CharsetConverter.cpp:617: error: initializing argument 2 of ‘size_t libiconv(void*, char**, size_t*, char**, size_t*)’

CompileC build/XBMC.build/Debug/XBMC.build/Objects-normal/i386/CPUInfo.o /Users/gordon/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/utils/CPUInfo.cpp normal i386 c++ com.apple.compilers.gcc.4_0
cd /Users/gordon/Public/linuxport/XBMC
/Developer/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -x c++ -arch i386 -pipe -Wno-trigraphs -fpascal-strings -fasm-blocks -O0 -Wreturn-type -Wunused-variable -D_DEBUG -D_LINUX -D_REENTRANT -D_FILE_DEFINED -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -DHAS_SDL_JOYSTICK -fmessage-length=0 -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -mfix-and-continue -mmacosx-version-min=10.5 -gdwarf-2 -I/Users/gordon/Public/linuxport/XBMC/build/XBMC.build/Debug/XBMC.build/XBMC.hmap -F/Users/gordon/Public/linuxport/XBMC/build/Debug -I/Users/gordon/Public/linuxport/XBMC/build/Debug/include -Ixbmc/lib -I/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/Headers -Ixbmc/lib/libportaudio -Ixbmc/cores -Ixbmc/cores/ffmpeg -Ixbmc/cores/dvdplayer -Ixbmc -Ixbmc/linux -Iguilib -I/opt/local/include -I/opt/local/include/freetype2 -I/opt/local/include/mysql5-devel -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/Users/gordon/Public/linuxport/XBMC/build/XBMC.build/Debug/XBMC.build/DerivedSources -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk -c /Users/gordon/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/utils/CPUInfo.cpp -o /Users/gordon/Public/linuxport/XBMC/build/XBMC.build/Debug/XBMC.build/Objects-normal/i386/CPUInfo.o
** BUILD FAILED **
I guess this related to this issue:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=31891

I tried the change in that thread and it failed to compile immediately.
Sad 
So if there was a patch submitted, it either wasn't checked in or it failed to fix the problem error: python24/Python.h: no such file or directory.

So I tried the second symbolic link mentioned:

ln -s /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/include/python2.4/ /opt/local/include/python2.4

Which seemed to finally get past the python hurdle.

Now I have to undefine the stupid cmyth stuff now:

In file included from /Users/gordo/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/lib/libcmyth/bookmark.c:26:
/Users/gordo/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/lib/libcmyth/cmyth_local.h:36:25: error: mysql/mysql.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /Users/gordo/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/lib/libcmyth/bookmark.c:26:
/Users/gordo/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/lib/libcmyth/cmyth_local.h:119: error: syntax error before 'MYSQL'
/Users/gordo/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/lib/libcmyth/cmyth_local.h:119: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union
/Users/gordo/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/lib/libcmyth/cmyth_local.h:403: error: syntax error before '*' token
/Users/gordo/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/lib/libcmyth/cmyth_local.h:403: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
/Users/gordo/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/lib/libcmyth/cmyth_local.h:430: error: syntax error before '*' token
/Users/gordo/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/lib/libcmyth/cmyth_local.h:430: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
** BUILD FAILED **
Just install mysql from macports and you'll be good to go.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

d4rk Wrote:Just install mysql from macports and you'll be good to go.

I have mysql installed per the instruction (via macport)...I did try compiling with mysql5 instead of the README.osx's mysql5-devel, still same cmyth error:

The following ports are currently installed:
expat @2.0.1_0 (active)
freetype @2.3.5_1 (active)
fribidi @0.10.9_0 (active)
gettext @0.17_3 (active)
glew @1.5.0_0+darwin_9 (active)
jpeg @6b_2 (active)
libcddb @1.3.0_0 (active)
libcdio @0.75_0 (active)
libiconv @1.12_0 (active)
libogg @1.1.3_2 (active)
libpng @1.2.25_0 (active)
libsdl @1.2.13_1 (active)
libsdl-framework @1.2.13_0 (active)
libsdl_gfx @2.0.16_0 (active)
libsdl_image @1.2.6_2 (active)
libsdl_mixer @1.2.8_0 (active)
libvorbis @1.2.0_0 (active)
lzo @1.08_0 (active)
mysql5-devel @5.1.23-rc_2 (active)
ncurses @5.6_0 (active)
ncursesw @5.6_1 (active)
openssl @0.9.8g_0 (active)
pcre @7.6_0 (active)
pkgconfig @0.23_0 (active)
python24 @2.4.5_0+darwin_9 (active)
smpeg @0.4.4_6 (active)
tiff @3.8.2_1+macosx (active)
zlib @1.2.3_1 (active)
Media-Center-MiniTongueublic gordo$
Because mysql5-devel will install mysql.h in /opt/local/include/mysql5/mysql/mysql.h, addsymlinks or path to project, which ever you feel better.
This just never ends...I'm glad that this has been educational, because after two weeks of trying this on my off-work, after-household chores/activities, just before sleep...I still cannot get this darn project to compile using xcodebuild.

To summarize what i've found incorrect with the README.osx/instructions on the WIKI:

Starting with a virgin Mac Mini 2.0GHz C2D running an up-to-date Leopard OS X,

I installed XCODE 3.0 from the Leopard disk

I installed the current rev of MacPorts.

I have installed all the listed libs & such from the README/WIKI

I then did a svn checkout of the latest linuxport.

I have NOT been able to build the XBMC because:

Python24 & MySQL both get their include files buried deep within /opt/local/include/... and have to have symbolic links created to /opt/local/include

I had to install a never-mentioned-before lib of libmad from MacPorts.

And now I am stuck at xcodebuild complaining it needs libsmbclient!!!

(I was glad I was in a relaxed saturday morning mood at the latest compile failure, I could have really hurt myself screaming and punching my LCD screen and desk at this point).

I really would love to help with the OSXMBC port, but it seems I'm never going to ever get this project built at this rate.

---

Please help me clear this latest hurdle? MacPOrts doesn't have s smbclient package, I know Mac OS X has SMB, there is a libsmbclient.dylib:

/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/usr/lib/samba
Media-Center-MiniConfusedamba gordo$ ls
auth/ libmsrpc.dylib* nss_info/
charset/ libsmbclient.dylib* pdb/
idmap/ libsmbsharemodes.dylib* vfs/

I tried a symbolic link from the /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/usr/lib/samba to /opt/local/include

And a SVN update.

It seems that somebody may have broken SVN with a checkin related to KaiVector? This is probably happening before getting to the smbclient stuff so that may not have been solved by my THIRD symbolic link.

ERROR:

CompileC build/XBMC.build/Debug/XBMC.build/Objects-normal/i386/KaiVector.o /Users/gordo/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/KaiVector.cpp normal i386 c++ com.apple.compilers.gcc.4_0
cd /Users/gordo/Public/linuxport/XBMC
/Developer/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -x c++ -arch i386 -pipe -Wno-trigraphs -fpascal-strings -fasm-blocks -O0 -Wreturn-type -Wunused-variable -D_DEBUG -D_LINUX -D_REENTRANT -D_FILE_DEFINED -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -DHAS_SDL_JOYSTICK -fmessage-length=0 -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -mfix-and-continue -mmacosx-version-min=10.5 -gdwarf-2 -I/Users/gordo/Public/linuxport/XBMC/build/XBMC.build/Debug/XBMC.build/XBMC.hmap -F/Users/gordo/Public/linuxport/XBMC/build/Debug -I/Users/gordo/Public/linuxport/XBMC/build/Debug/include -Ixbmc/utils -Ixbmc/lib -I/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/Headers -Ixbmc/lib/libportaudio -Ixbmc/cores -Ixbmc/cores/ffmpeg -Ixbmc/cores/dvdplayer -Ixbmc -Ixbmc/linux -Iguilib -I/opt/local/include -I/opt/local/include/freetype2 -I/opt/local/include/mysql5-devel -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/Users/gordo/Public/linuxport/XBMC/build/XBMC.build/Debug/XBMC.build/DerivedSources -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk -c /Users/gordo/Public/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/KaiVector.cpp -o /Users/gordo/Public/linuxport/XBMC/build/XBMC.build/Debug/XBMC.build/Objects-normal/i386/KaiVector.o
** BUILD FAILED **
Media-Center-Mini:XBMC gordo$

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cannot compile XBMC for Mac OS X because of python0