Solved kodi won't open/start
Hi...I have been having trouble w/ kodi the pastt few days....When I press the icon in system tray it says "can't creat GUI exiting". I had 3 different kodi's in my tray. All were 16.1 on my computer tower.I have windows 10,a 5.2 ghz quad core cpu and six gigs ram. All 3 did the same thing at same time...none worked...tried downloading 16.1 over them...no avail...uninstalled all 3...reinstalled new 16.1...same...no gui...deleated...installed 17.1...same...no gui...exiting...then black screen...had to shut comp down manually by button on front as no access to any other screen...restart comp...fully delete 17.1...you get the idea..hehe...soooo...why is kodi not able to creat gui on start and thus need to exit...both 16.1 and 17.1...I'm at a loss...this happens on a fresh install...have changed nothing...all are deleted now but couldn't have swent a log file as I had no access to kodi...Any input would be appreciated....I"ll need to start from scratch...got old notes from years ago about how to load repositotys ect....but need to get a kodi to load and launch...I've like the 16.1...Thanks...jmj
Hi jmjack,

The uninstalling and reinstalling most times achieves nothing except frustration for the user. It's always best to just leave Kodi as is, generate a debug log, and get some help here.

The debug log records all the operations Kodi performs while starting and running. When it crashes, it will record right up to the crash. With that log, members here can advise you on the problem.

Providing the debug log is the first step to solve the problem.

Hopefully you still have Kodi installed somewhere. You don't need access to the GUI to generate a debug log. Simply follow theses instructions to create one...
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2572642

Let us know if you have any problems with it.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
No...No kodi at all on comp now...I can download another 16.1 I guess...will do that...then try the things in the link you posted to get a bug report...I will then fight w/ gettin logged into this site...got a temp password to get in now...but when I use the temp password to change password in profile it says it's not correct password...will probably need different temp password next time I log in...Thanks for reading my post...was hoping for insite to problem or if anyone else has experienced this...Thanks
Having 3 Kodi in your system tray is a bit unusual, I presume portable installs? For them to not work all at the same time, would indicate some global issue with the operating system, like either new graphic driver, or some dependency was updated to oblivion etc. Regardless, at one point a user log (wiki) might have provided the information. If you do struggle from scratch, I'd suggest going with the latest Kodi and reap some advantages of the new software.

Kodi is easy than ever to install.
Hi all...I got my issue squared away today...I went to AMD driver updates and got 1 straight from them...during the instalation of driver it asks a couple of permisions for explorer ect...I don't use explorer and may have denied those permissins last update...this time I granted them and kodi opened up and was able to create the GUI ...I upgraded to the 17.3 and have been learning how to use it...it's Much different then the 16.1 but not difficult...Am old and still learning...hehe...Thanks for the imput...have a great day Smile
Glad it all worked out, Note: my signature with 'Fresh Start', it's likely in your last attempts that you didn't delete the corrupt data in the userdata (wiki) folder. Markinbg this thread [solved]

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
kodi won't open/start0