Bug: Picture quality - refresh?
When I play back 720p files (mkv format) in fullscreen mode I notice the picture quality isn't as good as, say, VLC when I play them back.

The issue is that I notice lag of the picture being updated and it looks like a refresh rate issue or something. When a camera shot changes I can almost see the screen flicker as it refreshes.

It is hard to describe but its almost like a flicker - it can happen on part of the screen or sometimes the whole picture - like a horizontal refresh is occuring slowly.

It doesn't happen at all using VLC playing back the same files.

Any ideas?
It sounds like vertical sync isn't enabled, but I'm pretty sure I force it to be on in fullscreen mode. Check windowed mode and make sure vertical sync is enabled, and see if you see the same thing.
elan Wrote:It sounds like vertical sync isn't enabled, but I'm pretty sure I force it to be on in fullscreen mode. Check windowed mode and make sure vertical sync is enabled, and see if you see the same thing.

You were right. Once I enabled vertical sync for video playback, the problem went away. I have a feeling it isn't forced enabled in fullscreen mode based on that.
It isn't forced, it's a preference, which should be enabled by default though. Elan, I hooked up the settings to Cocoa_GL_EnableVSync() in 11703.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

d4rk Wrote:It isn't forced, it's a preference, which should be enabled by default though. Elan, I hooked up the settings to Cocoa_GL_EnableVSync() in 11703.

In my released build, I enabled it by default and I'm pretty sure I forced it enabled in full-screen mode because it wasn't getting set correctly. I'll look into it more when I check in my changes (which is hopefully soon, although I'm a bit scared of updating at the moment with all the changes Smile

Actually, now I don't see where I force it in full-screen, so I must have taken that out...

-elan

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bug: Picture quality - refresh?0