Apple Remote control support issue in XBMC for OS X 0.1.4+
Effective with version 0.1.4 we now have native remote support for the Apple remote.

For me this is not working, or I don't know where / how to enable it. Does anyone else have any experience with this working or now and how did you get there.

Thanks much.
Thanks for listing your version number. It should "just work" if you have a Mac with an Apple Remote.
elan Wrote:Thanks for listing your version number. It should "just work" if you have a Mac with an Apple Remote.

Hello Elan, I was rather hoping you WOULDN'T say that. I had expected to launch XBMC and have it just work. No go. Tried going through the menus for a setting. Keyboard and mouse work perfect. I also disable any other programs that use the remote and restarted everything. Still nothing.

Remote (and downmix) are the only things I need.

Help?
jeremymc7 Wrote:Hello Elan, I was rather hoping you WOULDN'T say that. I had expected to launch XBMC and have it just work. No go. Tried going through the menus for a setting. Keyboard and mouse work perfect. I also disable any other programs that use the remote and restarted everything. Still nothing.

Remote (and downmix) are the only things I need.

Help?

What model Mac are you using? It most definitely *DOESN'T* work with any of the Keyspan RF remotes.

The only things I can recommend are pasting xbmc.log, and running from the console in case it spits anything useful out.

-elan
elan Wrote:What model Mac are you using? It most definitely *DOESN'T* work with any of the Keyspan RF remotes.

The only things I can recommend are pasting xbmc.log, and running from the console in case it spits anything useful out.

-elan

Running the following:

Mac Mini
2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Apple Remote (not keyspan front row or anything else)

As for the log let me know the filename and or where it is and terminal what command I need to run to execute from there (limited terminal experience)

Thanks again.
elan Wrote:What model Mac are you using? It most definitely *DOESN'T* work with any of the Keyspan RF remotes.

-elan

I launched:

open /applications/xbmc.app/ from terminal.

It just launched the program and went back to command line.

I can't find an xbmc.log file in spot like or the XBMC package.
jeremymc7,

Does your remote to open Front Row and control that? I have the same issue with my remote not working on my MBP but I figured it's my MBP since I install OSXBMC on my Mac Mini and it works fine.
mtehonica Wrote:jeremymc7,

Does your remote to open Front Row and control that? I have the same issue with my remote not working on my MBP but I figured it's my MBP since I install OSXBMC on my Mac Mini and it works fine.

Ok, the remote is working in XBMC now. Oddly enough booting the program from terminal is what did the trick.

Prior to working in XBMC the remote did (and still does) work in Frontrow, iTunes, etc.

You might try booting from terminal, closing, rebooting, then reopening from desktop icon. Seemed to work for me for some ODD reason.

I still don't know where the XBMC log is though.
jeremymc7 Wrote:Ok, the remote is working in XBMC now. Oddly enough booting the program from terminal is what did the trick.

Prior to working in XBMC the remote did (and still does) work in Frontrow, iTunes, etc.

You might try booting from terminal, closing, rebooting, then reopening from desktop icon. Seemed to work for me for some ODD reason.

I still don't know where the XBMC log is though.

That's good to hear. As for the log file, it's located in /var/tmp. For testing, I like to run OSXBMC in windowed mode and open terminal and type 'tail -f /var/log/xbmc.log' so you can actually see in real time what's outputting to the log file.
Now I want to try getting the Sony Blueray remote to work. The Apple remote is cool and basic, but having to use button combinations isn't going to work for everyone else in the house.

The Keyspan express looked like a quality second choice with a few more dedicated buttons, while still being pretty simple. But overall it's a couple buttons short of full control.

The Sony remote will control everything basic in XBMC plus more. The remote may be to busy for the rest of the household though.

In the end I may just have to get the Keyspan Express and the Sony Blueray remote and just try both. If the keyspan only had a couple more buttons it would be perfect. Oh well.
Yeah, I still need to find the time to map my apple remote buttons to my Harmony 880 and Harmony 550 remotes. I'm going to attempt to learn the IR commands from my apple remote to the Harmony and see what happens.
mtehonica Wrote:Yeah, I still need to find the time to map my apple remote buttons to my Harmony 880 and Harmony 550 remotes. I'm going to attempt to learn the IR commands from my apple remote to the Harmony and see what happens.

I've got an Harmony 785 and remote buddy : I mapped my harmony with two apple remotes (just to have one button for one action) and it's working fine.

Just choose the RAW learning to map your harmony and in the setup : new decice/apple multimedia computer/Apple TV.
jeremymc7 Wrote:Now I want to try getting the Sony Blueray remote to work.

Support for the PS3 remote is in the works (Linux and OSX).

There's already support for the Xbox and PS3 controllers (if you can pair it with your system), although I'm not sure if SDL joystick support is enabled in the OSX build.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

I had quite a bit of luck getting a wireless 360 controller working last night. Still some issues but it felt GREAT.
Holy shiz, elan, keep this up and we'll start namin our first-borns after ya! Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple Remote control support issue in XBMC for OS X 0.1.4+0