Problem when adding sources via smb
I managed to add a "Movies" source on my macbook, connecting to my server PC (windows XP pro). But when I tried to add another for "Tv shows" I suddenly had to enter userid and password (and nothing I entered worked)!? Is my PC wrongly configured or is this a setting in xbmc?

It also happens on my old xbox, but has only happened since I upgraded to the latest version of xbmc a week or so ago. The version I had before the upgrade was about six months old.
I must ask this, as I've refrained to do so in the past until all the people requesting OSXBMC to do this directly has started to tick me off.

Why is there a need to mount SMB sources from within XBMC itself? I can understand this in the X-box but why, when run under OSX, Linux or Win, isn't more convenient to have the OS itself mount the sources itself? It's got a better infrastructure for it anyway.

I may be missing something but I have found that mounting the SMB sources on the OSX Desktop works much, much better for me in OSXBMC. I just can't see the benefit of mounting directly. What am I missing?
You're not missing anything, but people are used to being able to do it. In the latest build, you can enable an experimental feature that allows XBMC to use the OS SMB support under the covers. As far I can tell, it only works on boot, so that once you get all your sources in a row, whenever you boot it will actually mount them with the OS "mount" command. Seems more desirable than using inbuilt SMB in terms of performance and stability.

I think vulkanr is totally on the right track getting this to work. Maybe eventually just SMB browsing (if even that) would be done with libsmbclient and then the mounting would all be done with underlying OS support.

-elan
elan: I understand. I actually am one of those used to being able to do it from within XBMC itself, having used it for so many years now.

It's just that I found it liberating not to have to do it Smile

I understand it may be part of the project for the standalone distribution for XBMC but at least I can rest knowing that, if anything, supporting mounted volumes should always be supported (it's built-in, of sorts).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem when adding sources via smb0