Where to start?
OK, so I found Kodi and installed it on my Galaxy Tab S. Now what? I see tons of info on installing kodi. A google search brings up all sorts of information on downloading apps, installing various functions that seem to do everything from nothing to cooking dinner. People drone endlessly on youtube videos. But there is no basic information about how to use Kodi.
Apps galore with varied, weird and creative names, but no listing of what they provide. OK, so ABC Family is pretty clear, but what does Faroese do? What is a Faroese? Far too much jargon for a limited audience and not enough plain english instruction for those of us who just want to use.
For instance, I can open the app, but there are no instruction on what to do next. Believe me, this is not intuitive for the average person.
How do I get my Kodi to play a movie? Do I download it from somewhere? But wait, I thought Kodi was for streaming, like the way I stream HBO GO to my Chromecast. Metadata to a library? What library? Why?
If I have to download, should I do this on a PC instead of my tablet so I will have more storage?
I need basic stuff here.
Where do I go and what do I do after I open the app? Suggestions?
The subject is too broad for me to even try to explain Smile but just one quick word of advice: stay away from Youtube videos. They are mostly done by uneducated kids and mediocre know-it-alls and just waste your time. If you want to learn about Kodi (or anything for that matter) just - read Smile
Kodi is a media player, designed to play your own media.

See some of the links in my sig below to get you started, especially those for the first time user (wiki) and also free content (wiki).

There are some add-ons (both in the build-in official repo) and by 3rd parties which allow for streaming of media too, but use of some of the 3rd party ones with care as some of them make use of pirated media sources and can lead you into trouble if you're not careful and are unlucky, Many of the so-called YouTube "tutorials" will lead you down that path, and if you're sensible are to be avoided. A read of our piracy policy (wiki) may help on that subject too.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
'No basic info on how to use Kodi?'
Say what??
Start with the wiki (and take Dalaniks advice about finding info on youtube)
Kodi has a lot of addons in its addon section. There should be plenty to watch. Just go to addons, get more, and install some and see if you like them.
(2017-06-06, 18:57)stevenk Wrote: Apps galore with varied, weird and creative names, but no listing of what they provide.

You can find some more info on most of add-ons available in the official repo here.

(2017-06-06, 18:57)stevenk Wrote: .
For instance, I can open the app, but there are no instruction on what to do next. Believe me, this is not intuitive for the average person.

While I'd like to think of myself as perhaps slightly above average, I felt this way too at first. Don't give up, it's well worth the effort. If after reading the first time user guide, you still have questions (and you probably will), the forums are loaded with info, and people who can help.

Along with staying away from the Youtube videos about Kodi, I'd suggest browsing the Garbage & Rule Violation forum. You'll quickly find out what you should not do with Kodi.
Kodi Nexus (20.2) on Dell Optiplex 980 Lubuntu 22.04 | Kodi Matrix (19.3) on HTPC Lubuntu 20.04 | My Add-ons | Legacy Repo | Matrix Repo
>>>>> Newest MetalChris Addons: Xumo Play | DistroTV | Local Now | Redbox | NEWSnet| NHL Radio | Weather Unlocked
I really can't believe people who clearly haven't read the manual complaining that there is no manual.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Where to start?0