Mint: Skin Release Thread
To save someone time in the future here is a tip. If you are going to have more than one scrollbar on a screen do NOT put default values for onup/ondown/onleft/onright in Defaults.xml. It makes the scrollbars unusable even if you redefine those values.

As for updates. I think I found the layout I want to use for the skin. I still have decided on colors or graphical details but I have set it up in a way that allows me to just edit the images, fonts, and default color values. I have also added remote support. Custom scripts in the media windows will also be available. I plan on adding all this and more to the next SVN commit. A release should come shortly after that.

Later,
JB

P.S. Are there many people following this skin?
I 'follow' everything, but am currently not using your skin. but very solid work.
Thanks for your comment. I am just trying to gauge whether I should update the skin more or less frequently.
hey just checked out the skin... I really like it alot actually, I thought the screen shots were a bit dark but in actuality it looks quite nice the way it is I believe. I did my "testing" in 720p.

Things I like:

1. I especially like how the home screen doesn't have a "settings" button and instead you have to push the right thumb stick. I always felt that having a settings button kind of gets in the way of the media/essential and most used areas of xbmc...

2. I like the font.

3. I like the panel view for somethings.

4. I like the colors.

Just a few issues/questions (I see that some of these things are probably related to your "todo list")

1. When you select a song in the music library the text disappears for the selection, I thought that odd.

2. similarly, in the final manager only one side of the manager is actually visible at any given time, if you cross over to the other side, the previous side disappears.

3. You definitley need more view types... and I see it's on your todo list so thats good... My suggestions: A Media view type catering to big big wide icons kind of like this ...
towards the end of the page.
Also perhaps a wrap view of the movie covers similiar to that used in xtv and front-row with the plot as well.

4. Also I believe is on your to do list is to add a "skin settings" window. would be nice to be able to change the backgrounds, as well as set where the tv/movie/arcade buttons link to.

I think that's all I can think of for now, It's rare that a skin will come out with all the stuff I like to have in the home menu (movies, tv, arcade, and games) usually have to add that stuff myself, only thing missing is a "music videos" button... which I probably would use more than others anyhow.

keep up the good work. and as for you judging how often to release updates... more often is always better than not.
1. Yes that was a bug with the selected color not being set in the default.xml. It will be fixed in the next svn commit and release.

2. Similar issue to 1, will also be fixed.

3. I have added many view types since the last release. A lot of them focusing on the library. Some of them are original, most are not Big Grin. I don't have one like the one you showed but I will add it.

4. I have a basic skin settings working now to toggle remote use and add custom scripts to the media windows. I like your idea about being able to set the default source for the home links. I will add that too.

Thanks for your comments.

JB
Well, I hate to be "this guy" but... How is the skin coming?
No problem. It is coming along good I have been doing some job interviews and was offered a job so I haven't had time to work on it. But I have two weeks before I start so I hope to get a lot done in that time. I also just found out that my tv doesn't display the color range I thought it did so it's making things a little more difficult.

JB
For anyone that's interested there are a bunch of big changes available in the SVN. I still have a bit of work to do before it's ready for another release. Most of the changes have to do with a new style and usability fixes.
Couldn't get the svn version to work... seems like the fonts in some windows were missing?
Which windows is this problem occurring? I was having a problem with contrast on my tv as well making it look like fonts weren't showing. I am designing this on xbmc pc which shows much greater contrast. Thanks for pointing it out if you let me know which text is having problems I may try and tweak the colors.
im gettin no fonts at all in 720p svn built
RenZ0R Wrote:im gettin no fonts at all in 720p svn built

basically the same... i mean i get sporadic fonts in the settings section, but completely unusable.
I'll check it out thanks guys.
Found the problem, I fogot to commit the default colors file to svn. As soon as I can get a hold of it I will let you know.
Okay. It should be fixed in the svn now. I am still struggling with the look of the home screen so you will notice it doesn't really match the overall feel of the skin yet. Anyway let me know what you think and thanks for letting me know about bugs.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mint: Skin Release Thread0