The Holy Grail of XBMC for Mac OS X achieved? - 1080p 24Hz with no dropped frames
I've finally been able to get my TV to accept 1080/24p signal! The bad news is that I see many more dropped frames, even though CPU usage is low. Not sure why this is, need to look into it more.

-elan
Elan,

Same here. Although the dropped frame counter is not increasing, I am seeing an occassional judder, or skipped frame every 10 seconds or so. Could this have to do with the fact that the frame rate displayed in xbmc is not constant, usually varying between 23.8 and 24.0
elan Wrote:I've finally been able to get my TV to accept 1080/24p signal! The bad news is that I see many more dropped frames, even though CPU usage is low. Not sure why this is, need to look into it more.

-elan

So I am curious how you were able to achieve this...I just got my Bravia a few weeks ago and am slowly learning my way through the dense HDTV thickets...

My KDL-46XBR4 is supposed to do 60Hz/120Hz (I guess its some sort of Sony pixydust magic to get 120Hz) but as I lack a bluray player (waiting for the bluray 2.0 hardware to come out this spring/summer) I have know real means to ascertain how visually attractive/ugly 120Hz video will appear.

So 1080/24p from a mac mini?
Gmackenz, remember that you don't need to send your display a native signal, in your case 120hz. Your display mostly likely auto switches between 60/120 after analyzing the source. The way the 1080p/24 issues has been solved by some of us is to get the Mini to output a 24 fps ( 23.976 hz ) refresh rate that the display understands. Elan has released an update that addresses some of the current issues with 24p, so I'll looking forward to playing around with it.

Additionally, has anyone who has achieved a 24hz signal to their display encountered audio delay? It seems that at 60hz the lip-sync is pretty accurate, but at 24p I seem to get a .2s delay on audio. I understand this could be specific to my display ( pioneer Kuro ) or receiver ( NAD ) , but I was curious if anyone has similar issues?
Weavus Wrote:Can you get 24fps on this clip though? http://rapidshare.com/files/82525583/kil...4.mkv.html

Its an extereme example of high bitrate content but you might once in a while run into stuff like this in day to day usage. My 3.6ghtz OC'd Core Duo E8400 just about survives the ordeal and can playback the clip with a couple of dropped frames...

IMO this isn't a fair sample. I have an overclocked 2.66Ghz C2D and it has issues with this, my E8400 Vista 64 box clocked to 4Ghz also has issues with it. I have encoded piles of stuff from HD-DVD at fairly high bitrates higher than anything I've been handed and never seen a glitch - only on that one clip. My Transformers transcode came in at about 12.5Gigs but would have been a good bit bigger had I not used AC3.

I just do not think you're going to find something so demanding in the "wild" and if you ever do it won't have any more visual clarity than something less demanding and more playable. A terrific clip for beating up a machine but I think most everyone who really tested it agrees it's a bit too much to be called a standard...
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
gmackenz Wrote:So I am curious how you were able to achieve this...I just got my Bravia a few weeks ago and am slowly learning my way through the dense HDTV thickets...

My KDL-46XBR4 is supposed to do 60Hz/120Hz (I guess its some sort of Sony pixydust magic to get 120Hz) but as I lack a bluray player (waiting for the bluray 2.0 hardware to come out this spring/summer) I have know real means to ascertain how visually attractive/ugly 120Hz video will appear.

So 1080/24p from a mac mini?

See my post from Yesterday, this is the info Elan used. So far I have only posted 24.0hz, I'll be posting other refresh rates over the next few days.
DeanM3 Wrote:Additionally, has anyone who has achieved a 24hz signal to their display encountered audio delay? It seems that at 60hz the lip-sync is pretty accurate, but at 24p I seem to get a .2s delay on audio. I understand this could be specific to my display ( pioneer Kuro ) or receiver ( NAD ) , but I was curious if anyone has similar issues?

Yes, good spot. I've noticed the same with 24hz and downmixing to Analogue. It's fine with 60hz. I've yet to work out the display settings for 23.976Hz so I'll check it out at that rate.
Tufty Wrote:Yes, good spot. I've noticed the same with 24hz and downmixing to Analogue. It's fine with 60hz. I've yet to work out the display settings for 23.976Hz so I'll check it out at that rate.

I've noticed this too. The changes in 0.1.5 should have improved that, but there's still drift because of the 0.024Hz difference. The timings for 23.976 as well as for 47.962Hz (if such a mode exists), and the other NTSC/PAL timings would be great. Then we can optionally have XBMC pick the best available mode.

-elan
@DeanM3
How's it going? I my self using a Kuro LX-508 with a MBP, and was wondering if the later releases have improved your 24p playback? I using SwitchResX to set resolution to 23,976, but Im annoyed over the A/V sync-problem described here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=32561
/Starg4ze

---
It might help you to know your audio sync problem is not display specific as I have the same problem using switchresX to my bravia x3000, with the 23.976 settings.

I have had to revert back to the default apple 50 / 60hz settings as I have not found a solution to the audio drifting problem.

This is a shame as I would love to watch my sources in 24p.
Weavus Wrote:Can you get 24fps on this clip though? http://rapidshare.com/files/82525583/kil...4.mkv.html

Its an extereme example of high bitrate content but you might once in a while run into stuff like this in day to day usage. My 3.6ghtz OC'd Core Duo E8400 just about survives the ordeal and can playback the clip with a couple of dropped frames...

If it's the planet earth/bird sample my config handles it:
Quad-Core Mac Pro 2.8Ghz(2008), 8800GT, 10 gig ram.
Hiyas:

This might be a silly question but where are you all getting these 1080p/24 movie files? My Panny AX-200 accepts 1080p/24 signals and I'd like to test it out with my 1.8ghz C2D Mac Mini, but as far as I know Leopard can't play back BD or HD-DVD movie files...

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Eq
Hello:
I am a new macmini owner and so far is great.
The mini is hooked up to a 5080hd pioneer and it automatically detects 1360x768 60hz.
How can I get that it to play 1920x1080 24hz?

By the way I hope that I am making sense.

thanks

Doug
Equusz Wrote:Hiyas:

This might be a silly question but where are you all getting these 1080p/24 movie files? My Panny AX-200 accepts 1080p/24 signals and I'd like to test it out with my 1.8ghz C2D Mac Mini, but as far as I know Leopard can't play back BD or HD-DVD movie files...

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Eq

The first rule of fight club is you do not talk about fight club Wink
Then cut a brotha in! Cool

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The Holy Grail of XBMC for Mac OS X achieved? - 1080p 24Hz with no dropped frames0