The Holy Grail of XBMC for Mac OS X achieved? - 1080p 24Hz with no dropped frames
b4zz Wrote:Hiya phrehdd,

Can I ask, how exactly did you manage that?
My MacMini runs at 1080p60 on the desktop and in XBMC when started. I would like to know how to force 1080p24 instead Smile

You set your desktop to 1080p24. XBMC for Mac will only see and use that resolution.
Thank you for your reply davilla Smile

Do you know how to set the desktop to 1080p24?
I don't have that option in Display settings. When I select "1920 x 1080" as resolution, the only refresh rate option I can select is "60 Hertz". But my LCD is 1080p24 capable :/

My MacMini is connected to the LCD using a MiniDisplayPort>VGA adaptor and then a VGA cable into the LCD. Perhaps a MiniDisplayPort>HDMI adaptor + HDMI cable, or MiniDVI>HDMI adaptor + HDMI cable would give me more refresh rates to select from?
b4zz Wrote:Thank you for your reply davilla Smile

Do you know how to set the desktop to 1080p24?
I don't have that option in Display settings. When I select "1920 x 1080" as resolution, the only refresh rate option I can select is "60 Hertz". But my LCD is 1080p24 capable :/

My MacMini is connected to the LCD using a MiniDisplayPort>VGA adaptor and then a VGA cable into the LCD. Perhaps a MiniDisplayPort>HDMI adaptor + HDMI cable, or MiniDVI>HDMI adaptor + HDMI cable would give me more refresh rates to select from?

Possible, the HDMI connection is two way and the Mac will ask what resolutions the display supports. That is of course if you display correctly knows the answers and it's firmware is not borken.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=751713
I believe I went and set my TV to PC mode even though it was connected with HDMI. This allows the Mac Mini "choices" including 24. After that I sleep the Mini and change it back to my standard mode.

This was inspired by the following posted by DEANM3

Here are the basic steps for those with a Pioneer Kuro Display:

- Connect the Mini with a DVI-HDMI connected to the Pioneer
- Power on the Pioneer, and set the HDMI Input to PC under HDMI settings.
- Boot the mini. it will default to 1920x1080 60hz.
- Open the Display Preferences. For 1920x1080, all Refresh options will be greyed out except for 23.9hz and 60hz NTSC.
- Select 23.9 HZ and wait for re-sync.
- Now you will have a 23.9hz choppy image sent to the Pioneer. The display input info on the Pioneer will show 1920x1080 24hz. The problem now is that the Pioneer is in PC mode and will not covert the 23.9hz input to it's native 72hz properly.
- The Trick: Sleep the Mac Mini. Go to the setup on the Pioneer and now change the input back to Video, from PC. Make sure under advanced settings that Film mode is set to : OFF.
- Wake the Mac Mini. Now the input will say 1080 24p, INSTEAD of 1920x1080 24hz. What's happening now is that the Mini is outputting a true 24hz signal to the Pioneer which is processing it as a 1080p HDMI video input instead of a 1920x1080 PC monitor resolution.
- Run OSXBMC, and have the resolution at 1920x1080 Fullscreen.
- Video Playback should be a true 3:3:3 cadence now.

- Phrehdd
phrehdd Wrote:I believe I went and set my TV to PC mode even though it was connected with HDMI. This allows the Mac Mini "choices" including 24. After that I sleep the Mini and change it back to my standard mode.

This was inspired by the following posted by DEANM3

Here are the basic steps for those with a Pioneer Kuro Display:

- Connect the Mini with a DVI-HDMI connected to the Pioneer
- Power on the Pioneer, and set the HDMI Input to PC under HDMI settings.
- Boot the mini. it will default to 1920x1080 60hz.
- Open the Display Preferences. For 1920x1080, all Refresh options will be greyed out except for 23.9hz and 60hz NTSC.
- Select 23.9 HZ and wait for re-sync.
- Now you will have a 23.9hz choppy image sent to the Pioneer. The display input info on the Pioneer will show 1920x1080 24hz. The problem now is that the Pioneer is in PC mode and will not covert the 23.9hz input to it's native 72hz properly.
- The Trick: Sleep the Mac Mini. Go to the setup on the Pioneer and now change the input back to Video, from PC. Make sure under advanced settings that Film mode is set to : OFF.
- Wake the Mac Mini. Now the input will say 1080 24p, INSTEAD of 1920x1080 24hz. What's happening now is that the Mini is outputting a true 24hz signal to the Pioneer which is processing it as a 1080p HDMI video input instead of a 1920x1080 PC monitor resolution.
- Run OSXBMC, and have the resolution at 1920x1080 Fullscreen.
- Video Playback should be a true 3:3:3 cadence now.

- Phrehdd

I think you missed the step where a chicken gets sacrificed Smile
davilla Wrote:I think you missed the step where a chicken gets sacrificed Smile

I'll bet you are right ! <G>

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The Holy Grail of XBMC for Mac OS X achieved? - 1080p 24Hz with no dropped frames0