Scheduled Library Updates Settings - Schedule regular periodic scan for new content?
Lightbulb 
My parents are ALWAYS forgetting to update their video library, which is bad because I have an automated system of RSS feeds and torrents which deposits new shows for them daily.

My Mom made a suggestion to me that makes perfect sense -- a setting you can turn on so that every night at a specified time, XBMC would update the library.

Yes I know you can set it to do this when its first turned on, but they don't usually turn it off. So that requires thought..Right back to them forgetting to do it :p

A setting would be a set it and forget it thing that would just take care of itself.

I have a couple ideas rolling around in the emptyness of my head whereby I think I can make this work, sort of, in the skin XML, but this is a feature I think would be good to have.
Unless they leave it on 24/7 there is a setting to update on startup which you might find usefull.

there is also this feature request http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php...tid=581841

You might also find these built in features useful
XBMC.updatelibrary(database) Takes either "video" or "music" as a parameter to begin updating the corresponding database.

XBMC.AlarmClock(name,command,time) Pops up a dialog asking for the length of time for the alarm (unless the parameter time is specified), and starts a timer. When the timer runs out, it'll execute the built-in command (the parameter command) if it is specified, otherwise it'll pop up an alarm notice.

But I agree, ability to set it at a specific time may be useful.
If the xbox is on 24/7, why not write a script that is started using autoexec.py. You could either go the alarm way, or just make it update every x seconds, using the time.sleep function.

could basically be:
while 1:
XBMC.updateLibrary("video")
time.sleep(21600)

That would update the script every 6 hours (60*60*6)
Nick8888 Wrote:Unless they leave it on 24/7 there is a setting to update on startup which you might find usefull.

there is also this feature request http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php...tid=581841

You might also find these built in features useful
XBMC.updatelibrary(database) Takes either "video" or "music" as a parameter to begin updating the corresponding database.

XBMC.AlarmClock(name,command,time) Pops up a dialog asking for the length of time for the alarm (unless the parameter time is specified), and starts a timer. When the timer runs out, it'll execute the built-in command (the parameter command) if it is specified, otherwise it'll pop up an alarm notice.

But I agree, ability to set it at a specific time may be useful.

As I said it IS kept on most of the time, so the update on startup isn't useful. I'm aware of those functions, which is why I said I am pretty sure I can hack somethign together to do the job.

My point stands though that hacks aside, this is a feature that really should be there for the average user.
EvilDude Wrote:If the xbox is on 24/7, why not write a script that is started using autoexec.py. You could either go the alarm way, or just make it update every x seconds, using the time.sleep function.

could basically be:
while 1:
XBMC.updateLibrary("video")
time.sleep(21600)

That would update the script every 6 hours (60*60*6)

I didn't know about the autoexec.py, that's definitely useful.

I still stand by the feature request though for the average user Smile
Unless you manage to track down the person that did the on boot update patch and convince him to code this, I wouldn't hold my breath.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Any idea how this would be implemented on linux? I haven't found the python lib to import.
import xbmc unless my memory is all wrong. the py obviously has to run in our interpreter.

if you want to run it outside xbmc, you need to rely on the http server, in which case its just a matter of using urllib
this shouldnt be difficult to implement. xbmc knows the current time via ntp. and is really nothing more than a huge loop so an interval based timer is already possible. (some functions already take advantage of this such as the screensaver.)

the simple radio button "update database on startup" could be replaced with an "update database automatically" option which is a list that contains "never", "on startup", "at a specified time", and "at a fixed time interval". then some additional settings fields are visible if either "at a specified time", or "at a fixed interval" are selected so that they can be set.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Please Trac a feature request.
This is something that might be implemented for the next release.
I think this is a good idea, I was planning on using the update library on startup but my xbox is on 24/7 so a scheduled update would be a very good addition to xbmc.
Hardware: Revo 3610 + SSD - Harmony 700 Remote
Software: XBMCBuntu Gotham - Sickbeard - SabNZBd+

sho Wrote:Please Trac a feature request.
This is something that might be implemented for the next release.

Done Wink

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/4919

I would definitely make use of a feature like this. Cheers.
Hopefully not off topic, but could there be a script to "monitor" your sources for content changes and update in the background?
Is there a setting somewhere to enable automatic updating of the library in the background? In the video settings tab I only have Update Library on Startup, but I generally just leave my apple tv on, so startup never happens, so I have to manually update the library...
You could write a python script that sleeps for 24hrs or w/e then runs update again. The background scanner needs some work before it can be enabled again, otherwise you'll be rebooting far more often Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Scheduled Library Updates Settings - Schedule regular periodic scan for new content?0