Scheduled Library Updates Settings - Schedule regular periodic scan for new content?
althekiller Wrote:You could write a python script that sleeps for 24hrs or w/e then runs update again. The background scanner needs some work before it can be enabled again, otherwise you'll be rebooting far more often Wink

I already wrote one, check my sig. It will do at specific time periods (say every 12 hrs) or at a specific time (I leave mine set to 1 hr before I get off of work, so when I get home my Library is nice and up-to-date without me having to do anything). You can specify music, videos, or both.

The reason I haven't added it to the addons svn is I haven't tested it on anything other than windows and you have change all the settings by editing the default.py file, and it uses a loop that might cause xbmc to hang on shutdown...

nmrs2 if you try it let me know how it works out for you... I'm especially interested if you can gracefully exit xbmc with the script running.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
XBMC is left running on my machine at all times, what I would like to do is have it scan for new items every night. Is there a kill signal or some other way to kick off a scan?
Use the HTTP API and cron it.

Example script:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

curl --get "http://192.168.1.254:8080/xbmcCmds/xbmcHttp?command=ExecBuiltIn&parameter=XBMC.updatelibrary(video)"

Just crontab something like that (change ip:port as necessary).

TS
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Oh, you may need to install curl if you don't already have it. You can also use wget if you prefer that.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
wget works too IIRC. rwparris2 wrote a python script to run in xbmc too (I haven't used it though).
Would it be possible to add a feature into library view that would auto update the library when changes are found?

for example WMP11 library, at certain time it goes out and does a quick look at the folders to see if anything have been added, is something like that possible in XBMC?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=43026
thanks sho, never visit apple forums would have never see it Wink
That's the reason we search Wink
Can I just add a 'me too' to this feature request?

I've recently tried Media Browser for Vista Media Center. It has its own set of issues but one thing I really liked was that scraping shows was done completely automatically. As soon as you browsed to a file which it hadn't scraped it would attempt to scrape it. Until it was successfully scraped it just showed the filename.

Like the original poster, I download shows for my wife and she can never find them because she either forgets or can't be bothered (it takes 5 mins) to do an update.

Does the code have the ability to scrape a single filename?
in current svn you have the ability to include / exclude paths from update.
http://trac.xbmc.org/changeset/16862
did you check out the script referenced on the last page of this thread?
I can't seem to find an answer to this anywhere. Is it possible for XBMC to automatically add new episodes while it is running? I am trying to switch from MediaPortal to XBMC permanently, but this is one of the few issues I can't live without. I use uTorrent to automatically grab my shows when they are released, and MediaPortal will detect them when they are finished downloading. I can't find in the options anywhere how to turn on that feature in XBMC. I know that it will auto-update on startup, but I don't want to have to startup/shutdown just to get my new shows.
You can get it to update at start up (Settings > Video > Library) or just bring up the Context Menu and select 'Update Library'.
If you want auto update while its running...then no its not possible. You have the tell it manually to scan and find the new shows.
I wrote a script that can do this on a set schedule (it won't auto do it when downloads finish, though). You have manually edit the settings in the default.py file. Look in my signature for a link.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Scheduled Library Updates Settings - Schedule regular periodic scan for new content?0