HOW-TO access your Apple iTunes library from within XBMC
So I've tried using the firefly solution, however, I ditched using it. Everytime I rebooted my computer it had to rescan my mp3's before it was available to use. I don't know if there is a firefly fix for that.

I ended up scanning in my mp3's and that works really well actually. I don't have playlist support, or album art yet.

Anyone know of a way to create an M3U playlist from itunes?

My solution is just to sync over my music weekly, and preferably my playlists weekly. Thanks.
@zyprexa

Do you sync over your playlists from iTunes and use them with OSXBMC? If so where do you sync them to?

My music is scanned in alright but there is no album artwork or playlists. I am assuming the devleopers haven't got there yet. Because there is a option in the music settings to download artwork during the library scan. However it doesn't seem to work.

cheers
jhoulden Wrote:Because there is a option in the music settings to download artwork during the library scan. However it doesn't seem to work.

Make sure you create a ticket for this... It's the best way to get it fixed.
Quick question probably but I didn't find the answer searching the forums.

I went to add daap to my sources.xml in /Application Support/XBMC/userdata/sources.xml

I added the following lines:

<source>
<name>iTunes Network Share (DAAP)</name>
<path>daap://192.168.1.185</path>
</source>
<source>
<name>Firefly Network Share (DAAP)</name>
<path>daap://192.168.1.250</path>
</source>

To the music section as per:

http://www.xbmc.org/wiki/?title=ITunes_%28DAAP%29

I rebooted the aTV and the changes never take effect, I re-check the file and its the original. Is there something automatically restoring the file to the original state?

Thank you in advance.
Welcome to the forums.

You read the "itunes and XBMC" paragraph?
althekiller Wrote:Welcome to the forums.

You read the "itunes and XBMC" paragraph?

Ahh ok, I see one mistake I made, I am running a later version of itunes for the mac sharing.

But about mt-daapd/firefly? I currently have:

mt-daapd-0.2.4.2 Multithread daapd yet another Server for Apple iTunes

Installed on my Freebsd box. iTunes picks it up fine.

So, is XBMC seeing that my changes are no good and reverting them or is there still a piece of the puzzle I am missing?

Thanks again.
for those of use with later versions of itunes (8.01) running on our desktops is firefly still the best approach or is there a better way?

thank you -
I have Firefly Media Server running on my desktop/home server and it's working fine with my XBMC boxes. However, I want to set it up to stream music from my wife's laptop as well, but I can't get it to work. I think it's because she has a password set on the administrator account on the laptop.

I set up Firefly on her computer and am able to connect to it from iTunes on my desktop, but it prompts me for her password before I can get in. My XBMC boxes are unable to see or connect to the DAAP server on her computer at all.

I have tried the syntax:

daap:\\ip_address:3689 (this works for my desktop, which isn't password protected)
daap:\\username:password@ip_address:3689

Neither of these work. Note that I am able to connect to Samba shares on her computer using the username and password.

Am I S.O.L. in that daap doesn't support passwords? Or is there some way to do this that I have not thought of?

Thank you!
thats all good and dandy...Big Grin

now for the iphoto part... how would you share/sync/show the photos you have in your Apple TV or iphoto lib on a network drive?

that solved I dont have to switch between XBMC and appletv OS when wanting to view photos.. Eek
Ilia Wrote:how would you share/sync/show the photos you have in your Apple TV or iphoto lib on a network drive?

Check this thread. jingai maintains the iPhoto plugin now. You can get it at: https://github.com/jingai/plugin.image.iphoto. If you can access the iPhoto library it should work (even over a share).

Enjoy
AlfredJKwack
"Less is only more when more is no good." - Frank Lloyd Wright.
Hi,

I have a Netgear Nas Duo, with Firefly on it , is it the same method/steps to make work with that?
fpoil Wrote:this is a way to use your itunes library without importing it in the music data base of xbmc, you will havr access to your itunes library, your playlists and so on….

... it's done, you have access now to itunes library and your playlists (i've got itunes 7.6)

Just wanna thank you for your instructions.

My XBMC/Firefly is working wonderfully on my AppleTV1, with Firefly on OS X 10.6.6 and iTunes 10.1 (yah… all the latest versions.)

Very impressive especially considering it was written nearly 3 years ago!

Cheers! Nod
Does this method still work? I tried to access firely download but it does not seem to exist. Would appreciate help?
You can get a Windows svn-1737 version with the HP MediaSmart Server Update v.2.5 (size: 207 mb)

Linux version is on Wayback Machine search for
svn-1586 Firefly Media Server on Roku forums
Lobo688 Wrote:You can get a Windows svn-1737 version with the HP MediaSmart Server Update v.2.5 (size: 207 mb)

Linux version is on Wayback Machine search for
svn-1586 Firefly Media Server on Roku forums
Ok thanks - how do i extract the files from the exe, since tried Universal Extractor which does not work.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO access your Apple iTunes library from within XBMC0