Support for Music Artist Images (and thumbnails)
Lightbulb 
Hi people who made life better for us all... Big Grin
I think more people would like to see this happening...
It would be nice to see artistimages in xbmc. I use a artist.jpg as default for showing photo's of artists or bands and store them with my music.

It's some work to gather all these pics and it would be great if xbmc could work with it like it works with a folder.jpg (or how it works in foobar2000-configs that show artist-thumbs)

There are several places an artistphoto would be nice, first off al as a folderimage. My music is organized by artist, an artist map has all its albums in it (sorted by year). I know i could rename my artist.jpg to folder.jpg to make the artist.jpg appear as foldericon. But then some other options i name further in this post wouldnt then be possible (see about library)

It would be great if i can choose between a folder.jpg and a artist.jpg (maybe as an option in maplayout for musicfolders). I know many people also have the same folderstructure (1 artist, more albums as submap) and have one map with all the artist.jpg's in it, called pink floyd.jpg for example.

I would like to keep this artist.jpg or pink floyd.jpg and not rename it to folder.jpg so its nicely organized on the pc too. (windows will show the album art and the artist art on the folder, and for example foobar2000 uses artist.jpg as default name in all its configs.)

Not only in the music-directory its nice to see artist.jpg, but for example in the little info bar that goes over the .vis screen that also has the album art and songinfo. It would look great to see an artist.jpg next to the album art if an artist.jpg or pink floyd.jpg is available.

Also in musiclibrary in the artist-selectionscreen it would be nice to see the artist.jpg and in de album-selectionscreen the albumart. Thats why my main question is to go with artist.jpg and make xbmc understand that it is an extra feature.

(extra uberkewl: a sort of crossfading albumart/artistart thumb in the miniplayer-icon when playing music in background ...
http://forum.xbmc.org/images/smilies2/yes4lo.gif
Nod

I hope things like this are possible and you can create a global xbmc-feature for it, or is it something that can be changed in skinsettings only and has to be coded because its allready possible in xbmc, but not in the skins?
Context menu on an artist->Set artist thumb.

It's not automated (yet) but it will be at some point this year. You can grab the musicscrapers branch from SVN if you are interested in helping with development.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:Context menu on an artist->Set artist thumb.

It's not automated (yet) but it will be at some point this year. You can grab the musicscrapers branch from SVN if you are interested in helping with development.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Has this been implemented yet? is there a way that i can put artist images in the album folders and have XBMC read them?

thanx
tc
Loft - Intel I5-3570K, Asus P8Z77-LX, Corsair 16GB DDR3, AMD HD 7700, AOC 27" LCD
Bedroom - Intel I3-530, Intel DH55HC, Corsair 4GB DDR3, Nvidia G610, Samsung 37" HDTV
Living Room - Intel E8400, Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia G610, Samsung 52" HDTV
yes.

store your stuff as artist/album. stick folder.jpg in artist/
spiff Wrote:yes.

How big can the folder.jpg (artist thumbnail) be?

thanx
TC
Loft - Intel I5-3570K, Asus P8Z77-LX, Corsair 16GB DDR3, AMD HD 7700, AOC 27" LCD
Bedroom - Intel I3-530, Intel DH55HC, Corsair 4GB DDR3, Nvidia G610, Samsung 37" HDTV
Living Room - Intel E8400, Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia G610, Samsung 52" HDTV
as big as you want. xbmc caches the thunbnails like every other thumbnail. you can ajust the cahed thumb size in the advancedsettings.xml i think default is quite low (128kb/192kb) for memory reasons on the xbox but you can ajust to what ever you like. if your using a hidef display try upping to 256kb or 512kb however if your using on xbox no more than 256 really or you start getting memory problems.

P.S - advancedsettings.xml does not exist by default, you have to manually create it. see the online guide at xbmc.org for help
spiff Wrote:yes.

I tried this exact procedure and many variations and it just simply never displays the artist thumbnail, very strange.

I create an artist folder and inside i put the album folders and along side the album folders i have a folder.jpg

I then add the artist folder as a source and scan to library. The albums are there but the artist thumbnail is still the generic singer one, it doesn't appear to be reading the folder.jpg in the folder.

I am using the pm3.hd skin and the latest build of xbmc from the website.
too old, added after 8.10
spiff Wrote:too old, added after 8.10

OK , thanks. I got the tortiseSVN client and downloaded build 17343 to my temp folder. Now i am just supposed to copy it into and write over c:/program files/xbmc? and when i do will i lose any info anywhere? thanks

TC

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Support for Music Artist Images (and thumbnails)0